Search similar:

uniqs

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Looking for a bit torrent app that will do the following...

I'm on a couple of bit torrent sites that have a very strict share ratio. While a download is going, I see great upload speeds, but as soon as the download completes, the torrent completely stops seeding and I see no upload speeds at all. When using uTorrent on my Windows computer, I was able to download about 15-20MB worth and then pause the download and when I did, it would keep uploading and I was able to build up my ratio that way. However, the Mac version of uTorrent doesn't have a pause and if I lower the download speed to very little, it also lowers the upload speed. I tried Transmission, but when I pause on there, it pauses both the DL and UL. Does anyone know of any bit torrent apps that will let me download just a little bit and then stop the download, but keep the upload going?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

Can't you just use uTorrent and set the download limit to very slow on that particular torrent for as long as you like??

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
You can just use transmission and then let it seed with no limit after the download completes. It is set to do that as default.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
I use Transmission

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

..... While a download is going, I see great upload speeds, but as soon as the download completes, the torrent completely stops seeding and I see no upload speeds at all.

This is a classic sign of your client not being contactable by the swarm. When you first start off a torrent, you get a list seeds/leeches; you connect to them and transfer. Once you have the entire file, and begin seeding, clients with less than a complete file have to contact you. If you are not contactable, seeding is almost impossible. You want to insure that your inbound uTorrent port is accessible.

The other reason for poor seeding is that the torrent is over-seeded. If there are too many seeds, then the slower systems will rarely get connected to. The tracker will favor the faster sites, slower sites will get far fewer connections.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
TamaraB See Profile is correct. Before you proceed, you need to make sure your inbound port is open. Transmission has a pretty handy way of checking in the settings, and if your router supports uPNP it can probably open the port for you. Otherwise you'll have to manually forward it with NAT.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

said by fonzbear2000:

..... While a download is going, I see great upload speeds, but as soon as the download completes, the torrent completely stops seeding and I see no upload speeds at all.

This is a classic sign of your client not being contactable by the swarm. When you first start off a torrent, you get a list seeds/leeches; you connect to them and transfer. Once you have the entire file, and begin seeding, clients with less than a complete file have to contact you. If you are not contactable, seeding is almost impossible. You want to insure that your inbound uTorrent port is accessible.

The other reason for poor seeding is that the torrent is over-seeded. If there are too many seeds, then the slower systems will rarely get connected to. The tracker will favor the faster sites, slower sites will get far fewer connections.

Then why am I seeing great upload speeds while the download is going? And then all of a sudden, just as soon as the download is complete, the uploads completely stop. That doesn't make any sense.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do the following?:
Start a torrent, let about 15-20MB worth download and then some how pause or stop the download, but keep the upload going. I was able to do that with uTorrent on my Windows computer and it worked great, but uTorrent for Mac doesn't have a pause and Transmission's pause stops both the download and upload. Of if there is a bit torrent app that will let me lower the download limit without the upload liming being affected, that would work too.

Daemon, if I lower the download limit, the upload limit automatically gets lowered as well.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by fonzbear2000:

Then why am I seeing great upload speeds while the download is going?

Because while downloading, most of the peer to peer connections are being sourced by you. After you have the file, ALL connections are made by others, and those connections require you to be reachable.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to fonzbear2000

Premium Member

to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

Daemon, if I lower the download limit, the upload limit automatically gets lowered as well.

That doesn't happen to me. I can set global and per-torrent upload and download limits without any of them affecting the others....

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Well, this is really annoying then! I know for sure before that I let a download go about 15-20MB and then was able to completely stop the DL and it would only upload. And I sure wish I could figure out why when I lower the UL speed, it also lowers the DL speed.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson

Address your port issue first.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by rjackson:

Well, I have in fact seen torrents continue to upload after the download completed, but only on ones from public sites so that's not an issue. My router does in fact support uPNP. Also, whenever I start uTorrent, the light in the lower right hand corner goes green so I know all the connections are good to go.

I just want to be able to do what I'm attempting and that again is either letting a download going to 15-20MB and then stopping it and only have it uploading or lowering my download speed and not having it affect my upload speed.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to rjackson

Premium Member

to rjackson
said by rjackson:

Agree. A good place to test for a proper open port is here: The open port checker

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

said by rjackson:

Agree. A good place to test for a proper open port is here: The open port checker

I just checked the port number from uTorrent on that site and it says it's open.

AGAIN, I just want to be able to do what I'm attempting and that again is either letting a download going to 15-20MB and then stopping it and only have it uploading or lowering my download speed and not having it affect my upload speed.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by fonzbear2000:

I just checked the port number from uTorrent on that site and it says it's open.

I don't know of any client which will do what you want. If you are reachable, and still can't seed, it's likely the torrent you are attempting to seed is simply over-seeded. If there were 200+ seeds in a swarm, and 3 leeches, your one additional seeding system will likely get no upload traffic at all, that's the nature of the protocol. When you see this happening next, look at the seed/leech ratio of the swarm.

Still, your tactic of slowing down your downloads in order to get upload credits would also make sense if you are not contactable. An open port does not necessarily mean that your P2P client is what is answering the port. Or, that your client is set up to only respond to encrypted connections, or some connection/firewall filtering is preventing a proper connection to the client.

I think your solution of slowing down the download is masking the real issue. One of over-seeded swarms, or actual non-connectivity from the swarm to your client.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

Actually, it's usually the opposite. I look for torrents that have more leechers than seeders. Then again, by the time the download is complete, there could be more seeders that leechers. I'll try to get something to work out.