All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
watts3000
join:2002-01-21

watts3000

looking to at UPNP and DLNA

Guys as of right now I run a pretty large file server where all of our media is contained I use Windows Media center on the client end. I am wanting to be able to stream content to any Android device be it a tablet or phone IOS devices would also be nice. Now when I say content I am talking about photos, mp4, mkv, xvid, divx, iso pretty much anything. So this seems to be pushing me towards a UPNP DLNA configuration. I really do not want a product where I have to leave a user account logged onto the system because it can't run as a service. I've listed products below that I've found I would appreciate it if you all would let me know your thoughts on this subject and what you are using. Hopefully some of these solutions support Server 2012R2, 2008R2 or even Linux.

PS3 Media Server
XBMC
Subsonic
Kooraroo
Windows Media Connect This seems to be streaming using using a Windows 7 or 8.1 box they also have an add on that can give streaming ability to a 2012 server. »www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40837
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

DNLA sucks. It really really sucks.

Aside from ISO/divx support, Plex is going to probably be your best bet to fill in the ios/android/linux bit.
watts3000

watts3000

ke4pym you may the first that I've heard. I've heard nothing but good things and that your results vary on your server.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

I would give subsonic a shot -- it was my primary music streamer before I moved everything to Plex -- but subsonic does video these days so you might want to give it a try.

But I personally prefer Plex

stray
join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

stray to watts3000

to watts3000
XBMC running on Android does pretty much everything you've asked by simply attaching to Windows or Linux or Mac file shares.

Same, same for jailbroken IOS devices (which rules out IOS 7.x at the moment.)
watts3000

watts3000

So can XBMC be installed on a server OS also can an Android attach to a file share without having to jail break the device?

stray
join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

stray

Nexus 7 (2012) Kit-Kat XBMC
No, XMBC can be installed right on your Android device. It's in Google Play. No jailbreak needed. Once installed, use the files section of XBMC to attach shared folders on your Windows system using SMB. Then XMBC can do it's thing just like the storage was local to the Android device. The reason this is nice is that you don't need to change anything on your server except exposing your media folder(s) through a Windows share.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to watts3000

to watts3000
I use DLNA but I don't love it. It's the simplest way to get content from my NAS onto my smart tv, since the tv supports DLNA but won't read a file share, which would be my preferred option. DLNA can include some nice features, such as real-time transcoding, but it seems like it's a major hodgepodge, with different servers and clients supporting different subsets of features.

If you want to get media from your NAS to your Android device then the simplest way would be to simply mount your file shares on the Android device. Android supports NFS natively (CM does, at least), and apps like BS Player Free and ES File explorer can read SMB/Windows shares.