spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

iBuyPower's steam box. Same cost as a console, more power.

This morning, iBuyPower revealed a prototype of its own upcoming Steam Machine, which will go on sale for just $499 next year. For the price of an Xbox One, the computer will offer a multicore AMD CPU and a discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card — that's a $180 GPU all by itself — and come with Valve's Steam Controller as part of the package deal.

The company says the box is bigger than a PlayStation 4 but smaller than Microsoft's Xbox One, and comes standard with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a 500GB hard drive.

»www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146···n-r9-270

So, a better gpu than ether console have, when overclocked, most likely a better cpu(wont take much) for the same price as an xbone. Gonna be an interesting year next year.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Fricken awesome. The upcoming standardization as a result of this convergence of PC and console is going to benefit all gamers.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to me1212
Assuming Valve can fix Steam on Linux.

I installed Steam on Debian a couple of days ago to see the progress and L4D2, TF2 and even the interface is as buggy as it was when Steam on Linux was released.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
After dabbling with steam/debian I came to the conclusion that debian isn't ready for steam. Esp 64bit.

Ubuntu has much better support available, but I don't like the distro, so for me, gaming on deb will have to wait.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to me1212
Maybe it was the distro then. I don't like ubuntu either.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
It's apparently well supported on Arch/Manjaro as well if you like those Distros, Arch is a bit above my level of competence, but Manjaro is pretty painless install.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

Assuming Valve can fix Steam on Linux.

The box itself is going to come with SteamOS so it isn't going to be the Steam Linux client hacked on to the distro of your choice, but rather a Self contained OS, so there should be no compatibility issues.
--

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Right. SteamOS "should" have no compatibility issues. I'm also talking about the actual games that's currently released for Steam on Linux.

I'm not even going to mention video card drivers.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
I shouldn't be considered a Linux expert by any stretch but I have been running Linux as a Desktop OS for over five years now.

What Linux game were you having issues with? Do you know if it was a port or released natively?
--

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to me1212
I'm not against SteamOS, I'm just saying Valve has a ton of work to make it as good as Windows.

I tried L4D2 and TF2. Source is supposed to be native but I wouldn't even call those games "beta" on Linux.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to me1212
linux isn't ready for a desktop, yet alone a 3d game.

It somehow does okayish on phones.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

I tried L4D2 and TF2. Source is supposed to be native but I wouldn't even call those games "beta" on Linux.

I haven't tried TF2, but I've done pretty good with L4D2, and Amnesia.

What do you feel is beta about it? I could seen voice comms being tricky for people who are new to Linux but everything else looks great to me.

I'm also going to make a being leap here and assume that each and every Steam game that gets installed on SteamOS is going to individually repackaged for steamOS for better compatibility.

It's obvious that bad launches occur (see the X: Rebirth thread) but I don't think Valve is going stake it's reputation and its new manufacturing/retail business on a flawed product.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Doubtful, what I think will happen if they're to release the box in a year or two, is that it will act as a gaming console, but will bridge your pc to your tv, as existing PC games will not be ported to linux.
Can you imagine MS porting batman to linux?
In essence i'll still need my PC running to play 80% of my library.
--
~ Project Hope ~

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by EUS:

existing PC games will not be ported to linux.

Unless the publisher is interested in porting to the Linux market, I agree that existing games won't be ported to Linux, but... Metro Last Light has a native Linux version, so there's some hope that more native Linux games are coming in the future.

I'm not saying that we have an incoming Linux gaming utopia on our hands, but I appreciate the effort Valve is putting into this, and from what I've seen of Valve so far, when Steambox hits the market I anticipate it will be ready for the Mass Market.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
I feel the same way.
If steam cannot make headway, I'm doubtful anyone can.
--
~ Project Hope ~

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by EUS:

I feel the same way.
If steam cannot make headway, I'm doubtful anyone can.

Agreed, It'll be a good attempt, I'll be jumping on board at least for support at first.

EQ
--