UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

Re: Just a drop in the bucket

said by Nightfall:

Its not really that much cheaper today. The end to end cost to terminate the fiber still is in the thousands for both ends. Which is why its important for FIOS to retain customers for 2-3 years before a profit is even seen.

Once the fiber is installed at the premises, it's there for life. It isn't just the customer who orders the installation, but also any subsequent tenants/owners of the premises who can order service.

2-3 years of service is a trivial bar to meet. Heck, I've had FiOS at my apartment for almost 3 years, and I'm moving to a new apartment that also has FiOS, where I intend to stay for at least 2-3 more years.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by UnnDunn:

said by Nightfall:

Its not really that much cheaper today. The end to end cost to terminate the fiber still is in the thousands for both ends. Which is why its important for FIOS to retain customers for 2-3 years before a profit is even seen.

Once the fiber is installed at the premises, it's there for life. It isn't just the customer who orders the installation, but also any subsequent tenants/owners of the premises who can order service.

2-3 years of service is a trivial bar to meet. Heck, I've had FiOS at my apartment for almost 3 years, and I'm moving to a new apartment that also has FiOS, where I intend to stay for at least 2-3 more years.

Its only trivial if the investment is made up. Otherwise, the company just sunk a couple grand into the house or apartment and got nothing out of it.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net