Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212

Re: iBuyPower's steam box. Same cost as a console, more power.

I'm not against SteamOS, I'm just saying Valve has a ton of work to make it as good as Windows.

I tried L4D2 and TF2. Source is supposed to be native but I wouldn't even call those games "beta" on Linux.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Dream Killer:

I tried L4D2 and TF2. Source is supposed to be native but I wouldn't even call those games "beta" on Linux.

I haven't tried TF2, but I've done pretty good with L4D2, and Amnesia.

What do you feel is beta about it? I could seen voice comms being tricky for people who are new to Linux but everything else looks great to me.

I'm also going to make a being leap here and assume that each and every Steam game that gets installed on SteamOS is going to individually repackaged for steamOS for better compatibility.

It's obvious that bad launches occur (see the X: Rebirth thread) but I don't think Valve is going stake it's reputation and its new manufacturing/retail business on a flawed product.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Doubtful, what I think will happen if they're to release the box in a year or two, is that it will act as a gaming console, but will bridge your pc to your tv, as existing PC games will not be ported to linux.
Can you imagine MS porting batman to linux?
In essence i'll still need my PC running to play 80% of my library.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by EUS:

existing PC games will not be ported to linux.

Unless the publisher is interested in porting to the Linux market, I agree that existing games won't be ported to Linux, but... Metro Last Light has a native Linux version, so there's some hope that more native Linux games are coming in the future.

I'm not saying that we have an incoming Linux gaming utopia on our hands, but I appreciate the effort Valve is putting into this, and from what I've seen of Valve so far, when Steambox hits the market I anticipate it will be ready for the Mass Market.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I feel the same way.
If steam cannot make headway, I'm doubtful anyone can.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by EUS:

I feel the same way.
If steam cannot make headway, I'm doubtful anyone can.

Agreed, It'll be a good attempt, I'll be jumping on board at least for support at first.

EQ