Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

1 edit

Downward spiral

The more people that "cut the cord" and pirate, the carriage fees will increase. They cant make content on no money.

Im getting a feeling they are calculating carriage fees, and not taking into consideration future cord cutters.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
Then I guess they need to find a better business model as the cord cutting and pirating will continue and will grow with the fees.

For anyone to suggest they will stop making content, your being very short sighted. They will do what they are in business to do and they will find a way to do it and make money. How that will look is only for us to predict, but a complete stop of content isnt it.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

The more people that "cut the cord" and pirate, the carriage fees will increase.

As a cord cutter, I am fine with that. Have fun paying the higher bill.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

The more people that "cut the cord" and pirate, ...

"Pirate?" How does one "pirate" broadcast TV?

Jim

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
reply to ITALIAN926
It's a snake eating it's tail.

There's only X amount of money coming in. Maybe accept that the price is as high as the market will bear?

Just a crazy thought.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
reply to ITALIAN926
cord cutting is happening, but it's not as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be. If prices would stop going up at such a huge rate over inflation, there would be less cord cutting.

ITALIAN926

reply to jseymour
Can of worms : " Aereo "

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to ITALIAN926
These channels are free if you use an antenna, they are supported by commercials. Retransmit fees to have a free channel broadcasted over cable/sat which brings in more viewers which should bring in more ad revenue. All this is just greed on the part of local broadcasters. Long ago cable didn't exist and the TV stations managed to make money by simply sending out the signal for free.

ITALIAN926

Theres this new invention called a " DVR" , advertisers aren't paying like they used to.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to jseymour
ask that question to execs at CBS and ABC. If its available for public broadcast, it should be impossible to pirate it if it was broadcast in your area.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926
Except for now Aereo is legal as such its not piracy.

Also Aereo does not at all harm broadcasters, If you watch a program via that system you are still subject to the advertisements during the content.

An antenna on someone's roof is no different they also do not pay retrans fees.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

anon_anon

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to ITALIAN926
If you look at the numbers, you will see that cable tv rates increases have considerably outpaced the inflation rate since the mid 1990's. I could contend even if broadband didn't exist the rate of increase would still remain the same. 6% yearly rate increases for cable have been the rule of thumb even before the word "cord cutter" was invented.

JasonOD

@comcast.net
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Except for now Aereo is legal as such its not piracy.....

The jury is still our for aereo... broadcasters will get the laws changed if they have to.

At this point, the logical path is for broadcasters to move their entire value add (read primetime) offerings to CATV, leaving the OTA broadcast for news, public service, and reruns.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to ITALIAN926
Yes and there are new business models that have every product you see in a show/movie paying to be there, which was not nearly as prevalent in the old days.

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anon_anon
A contention without proof.

Here's another way to look at inflation in cable prices. In 1963 I paid $18/month for 12 channels. Inflation since 1963 is approx. 651%. Ergo I should be paying about $117/month today for just 12 channels. Of course I now pay much less than $117 for 10 times the number of channels.

So much for the old "profits go up and service goes down" argument for cable companies.... eh?

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Where did you have cable in 1963??? I was in up state NY, Endwell to be exact and we couldn't get cable until the early 80's.