share rss forum feed

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus
reply to amarryat

Re: Just a drop in the bucket

I stayed home when I got fiber, so I could watch the installation.

Ignoring the trenching, it took one person about 10 minutes to connect the fiber that went to my cable box to the fiber that ran to my house. Then it took another person that came later, about 10-15 minutes get the outside fiber into the house.

The majority of the time was spent drilling a hole, patching it up, figuring out where to place my ONT in the basement, and mounting a panel for my ONT.

The actual handing of the fiber the a small portion of the time spent.

The bulk of an all fiber network has nothing to do with fiber and everything to do with man-hours working trenches and stopping at the customer's dwelling unit and figuring out how to route the cables.

All of the work to lay the fiber between my curb-side cable box to installing the ONT in my basement was about 1.5 hours. The bulk of that was a mix of trenching and trying to figure out where to put the ONT.

By definition, termination of fiber is just getting the fiber ready to be connected. About the same speed as I've seen veteran network people crimp a RJ45. They had a quick little hand tool. Spin it around the jacket to strip the jacket, expose the fiber, snip it, quick change of tools, something fast, done. plug it in.

It all happened so fast.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by Bengie25:

I stayed home when I got fiber, so I could watch the installation.

Ignoring the trenching, it took one person about 10 minutes to connect the fiber that went to my cable box to the fiber that ran to my house. Then it took another person that came later, about 10-15 minutes get the outside fiber into the house.

The time invested in the installation is not the only cost. The cost of the equipment to terminate the fiber is still around $2000 for both ends. In other studies, its much more per dwelling.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus

The entire cost of everything is about $2,000, not just the fiber. An entirely functional fiber network from scratch for about $2,000 per dwelling unit in suburbs.

Many times it's more expensive in a dense city because running fiber in a large many story old apartment building is much harder than a house or duplex.

Assuming you're in a nicely laid out city. Can double and triple in price as your get into farm land, but we're talking about 1-2 house holds per square mile, and not doing the more expensive underground installation.