batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 edit

[CDV] Connectivity during power outage...

I'm considering a Cable Modem for my mother, and running Vonage over it for voice. Also, I'd set up a UPS to make sure voice stays up during transient power outages. BUT: I know that there are in-line amps in the cable system, which are powered in-line. Question: When there's a power outage, I guess these amps go down too, and the signal dissapears? If I power everything with a UPS, the modem might lose sync anyway if all the in-line amps go down? Has anyone experienced this directly?

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:1

Re: Connectivity during power outage...

Click for full size
I'd be very surprised if your local cable plant had any type of power backup.

powercable2

@comcast.net

If the system offers digital voice there are some battery backups built into the system to enable 911 calls. Digital voice requires the emta to have some connectivity in that case. A regular modem with a UPS would receive juice, but there is no guarantee that the internet connection would reliably during a power outage. In an extended power outage the emta would stop working as the amps elsewhere in the system would have their batteries run out.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to batsona

Re: [CDV] Connectivity during power outage...

I would look at the local franchise agreement. For example, in DC Comcast is required to have battery backups on all their power supplies. They also have to provide either swapped out battery or generator power in the event of an extended outage.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
reply to batsona

Typically I see HSI go down within a few minutes of the start of a power outage.

»Re: [Business] Comcast Business PRI during power outage

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to batsona

In my area time Warner has backup in largely populated area's. When i was in the burbs i could get about 4-5 hours of signal before TWC's backup's were depleted. Now out in the boonies when the power is out the cable is out.

Of course this all depends on how large the power outage is. a few houses sure its going to work. or even a whole street or two.. depends on where AC is injected into the distribution system.

Not sure really if this is true but on my old street when the green boxes the size of mini fridges with "alpha" started appearing on the poles the cable connection started staying live after power outages so i assume those large boxes contain backup batteries. especially since my street now in the boonies has a few lunch box sized boxes with hardline going to them with the "alpha", Not big enough to house any battery's

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to batsona

Most if not all of your area should have working backup sources for the power supplies which power the plant. As long as it has good batteries and a working inverter, you could get anywhere from an hour to maybe 4 hours standby power. It depends on the number of backup batteries and the amp load on the power supply. It should be enough to deploy a generator until power is restored.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to batsona

In my area [Seattle/Tacoma] have had 2 power outages in last 6 months, ranging from 1 - 2 hours. Comcast phone went down immediately both times. Battery is good and no UPS.

Pots did not miss a beat. As used it to call POCO to determine extent of outage and est of time to repair.

In separate incident in March, did have period after 11pm where Internet and Phone were flaky until the next morning.

Live next door to aging parents and will keep their bare bone Pots at around $30/mo and my cell as backup. Last 12 mos. had to call 911, 3 times.

That is my experience, hope this helps.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
reply to SeaSeaTee5

Are you speaking just to the specific area of the person you replied to, or Comcast areas in general?

DavidEBSmith
Premium
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL
reply to batsona

When we had a 25-hour power outage this summer, the Comcast internet was working for at least an hour and a half, until my UPS that my modem is on finally ran out of juice. It *was* a somewhat localized outage - city blocks and not an entire city - in a heavily populated urban area.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to batsona

depends. with the networking gear all UPS'd including the modem, on residential I noticed it would go out; since switching to business class, i've had about 5 or 6 power outages and the internet connectivity remained. not that that proves that business class always stays up, could just be coincidence. as stated, it's quite a localized issue; even with battery backups at the amps/headend, extended outages would obviously disconnect things after some point.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to batsona

99 percent of the areas have power back up. But lets be honest if the electric lines down most likely the cable and phones down to. In other words if you live in a area that lots of tree fall on the lines your probably going to lose service. If you live in a area where you have transformers fail and such you will probably stay up.

Sometimes people steal the batteries out of the power backups. Scraps up so it is a problem. »www.google.com/search?q=cable+tv···irefox-a

Problem is when they come in and steal them they usually hit areas pretty hard. Often cleaning out entire systems of them.

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to camper

It's standard in the industry to have standby power especially if the provider is offering voice service, but it can vary area by area as to how well it is maintained. I'd have to assume that It is a high priority nation-wide but I am more familiar with his area since I am in the same region.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

OP here... Good point about the battery backups.. In my area, the DC power supplies are these big green boxes on the poles (or on the ground), and I saw inside one once, and it indeed had something like a car battery inside.. This tells me that the copper portion of the coax on the poles will be powered for at least a while, when all power goes out. --A requirement of digital voice, which must provide 911 svs. Good point...

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SeaSeaTee5

said by SeaSeaTee5:

especially if the provider is offering voice service

I don't get voice service from Comcast. I still use the reliable POTS, which works through power outages.

However if Comcast's voice service goes over the same infrastructure as HSI around here, then voice will die as quickly as I see HSI die during an outage, no?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

said by camper:

However if Comcast's voice service goes over the same infrastructure as HSI around here, then voice will die as quickly as I see HSI die during an outage, no?

Comcast Voice already uses the same infrastructure. It's just reserved bandwidth on your modem's connection.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to batsona

I use Vonage for my 'landline" phone service and it runs through my Comcast connection. I have never had a power outage (with my current Comcast service that was established in March, 2011) cause me to lose either Internet access in general of lose my Vonage VoIP service. However, I have not had any extended power outages since establishing my current Comcast service (the max was no more than two hours, and most have been for only a few minutes).

OTOH, when I first tried using Comcast as my primary ISP (circa 2004), the connection would drop anytime there was an electrical storm in the area (even when local power was not down). That was prior to Comcast offering CDV in this area, and apparently local regulations required them to upgrade their infrastructure after CDV was offered. Of couse, as other posts in this thread indicate, this is a classic YMMV situation since each Comcast franchise handles their local network differently.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to graysonf

Re: Connectivity during power outage...

said by graysonf:

I'd be very surprised if your local cable plant had any type of power backup.

Id be surprised if they DIDNT have battery back up. Its pretty standard..?
Your experience is different how?
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to batsona

Re: [CDV] Connectivity during power outage...

Comcast goes above and beyond what most cable companies do as far as battery backup around here. In some cases they even go as far as hooking to large generators that are in place at highrises. Thats about as redundant as you can get. Pretty slick thinking in my eyes.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

3 edits
reply to batsona

After Hurricane Sandy my Comcast HSI was down for 10 days and returned after the power company restored power. Comcast TV was also down during the same period. We have generator power and Dish TV so the neighbors came over to catch up on the televised news. According to ADT my battery backed up cellular connected home alarm went down on the third day when the batteries died. Verizon landline and cellular telephone did not go down in my area. Apparently cellular had well fueled generators at the local tower site. Comcast had tried placing generators at various utility poles in the area but couldn't keep them all running I guess...
--
"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
Pete Seeger 1961

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to batsona

During Sandy, when power was out in my area, Comcast HSI was still running for at least as long as my UPS lasted to keep the modem and router running (which was only a few hours). I have 2 spare batteries for my modem, but, of course, they only power the phone line. Didn't really find them useful, as using the phone wears the batteries down very quickly. Not really a viable backup.

A friend in a nearby town has a generator, and there was no power on his street for a week, but he could power his TV, modem, etc. Comcast TV and HSI were not running. I don't know how long they were up after the power went out.

OTOH, AT&T cellular was up the entire time, and we used the heck out of it. My plan now is to rely on cellular when the power goes out. My wife and I both have iPhones, so we still had phone and internet access. You may want to think about going that route. My 90+ year old dad has no problems using a simple cell phone.

powercable2

@comcast.net

Its logistically easier for a cell phone company to fuel towers that might be placed every 1/2 mile or so during a protracted storm outage. They also can deploy portable towers in the event a tower is destroyed, this might be a good idea for the backup service. However, you will need to have a way to recharge your cell phone with a generator.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by powercable2 :

However, you will need to have a way to recharge your cell phone with a generator.

During hurricane Wilma when our power was out for six days, land line telephones worked, as did cell phones. All cable services were out.

We recharged our cellphones from the car.

OldCableGuy

@communications.net

I'm lucky, my Cable Company also is a POTS telephone provider (ImOn / Cedar Rapids Iowa) and so far every power outage I've been up and running without issue. I have a UPS on my VMWare server and also on my wireless AP, and it just keeps on working.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

The UPS here will power my gear for about 30 minutes. When you measure power outages in days instead of minutes, you need generators to keep going.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
reply to batsona

Vonage offers a "network availability" number so that if one's internet is out, calls automatically go to whatever number your mom would set up ... another landline, cell phone, etc. Works great !!

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
reply to powercable2

I used my car and also plugged in whenever I went somewhere that had power.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

During sandy every thing was off around here accept cell phone service. Doesnt matter the whole area spent the next 2 days at the bar trying to drink all the beer before it went bad. It was free, the beer that is. We all charged our cell phone with a generator supplied by the fire department.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rody_44:

During sandy every thing was off around here accept cell phone service. Doesnt matter the whole area spent the next 2 days at the bar trying to drink all the beer before it went bad. It was free, the beer that is. We all charged our cell phone with a generator supplied by the fire department.

Hey, let me know next time there's free beer. I'm not that far away, you know.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

niiice