spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

5meg

5 meg is good start but subscribers want more than that. It won't take much to overload an LTE node. With advances in video technology from Netflix, Apple TV and others demand more bandwidth.
Gaming requires low latency that LTE cannot offer. Higher upload speeds are required for video monitoring systems.
Eventually the LTE business model will be in trouble like everything else that couldn't keep up unlicensed spectrum technology.
700 meg is real for devices now but not LTE.. Sorry.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

LTE has lower latency than most DSL lines. I game on lte with under 100ms latency consistently.

This has the potential to be a great offering for those of us on severely oversubscribed sub 3meg DSL connections, overpriced lte/3g, or satellite.

This will never be able to compete with FIOS or cable options, but this is targeted towards people who don't have those options available.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic
Why would LTE have higher latency than DSL? Even if it were inherently 10-50 ms higher than a DSL line, it's still worlds better than the guaranteed 500ms overhead that satellite internet has.

The whole key to this taking off is what are the caps. Pricing doesn't matter, speeds don't matter. Issue number one is caps. Then tell me how much it costs and how fast it is.
mixdup

mixdup

They are talking about 300-400 users on one cell site, and one 20mhz block of LTE supports, from everything I can tell, about 300mbit downstream. Hope everyone doesn't want to watch Netflix at night.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to Yucca Servic

Mod

to Yucca Servic
I get around -105dBm in LTE extended coverage, nothing else other than sat/dial-up. I easily get under 100ms to my favorite servers.

Only thing that blows is the caps and overage costs. That is why the telcos want to rip out their copper or not fix it when it breaks.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to mixdup

to mixdup
That actually doesn't sound bad, so they'd essentially be overselling by a factor of 5. If they did proper traffic shaping you'd be guaranteed at least ~1Mbps. Add on caps (hopefully reasonable) and you shouldn't have many users perpetually downloading stuff.

Even more, start considering Dish had additional spectrum and they can potentially double the capacity per tower or more. Looking at it that way and you can certainly see a future in which rural users are well served by wireless internet as more spectrum from the carriers is used for LTE and beyond.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to mixdup

to mixdup
That's... Exactly what cable ISPs offer. Hundreds on a node that only has a few hundred mbit/s at best.

anon202
@rr.com

anon202

Anon

TWC modes are fiber fed I'm pretty sure in the 1-2Gig per node

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by anon202 :

TWC modes are fiber fed I'm pretty sure in the 1-2Gig per node

That's not how cable works. Cable is restricted by the bandwidth on the coax side of the node. It depends on how many individual QAM256 channels they dedicate to DOCSIS. Each one represents ~30mbit shared. That's why channel bonding, even if you don't have a high throughput package, is important. You get to "share" a bigger pipe, even if you're on a 15mbit package.