camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to SeaSeaTee5

Premium Member

to SeaSeaTee5

Re: [CDV] Connectivity during power outage...

Are you speaking just to the specific area of the person you replied to, or Comcast areas in general?

SeaSeaTee5
join:2010-05-06
Maryland

SeaSeaTee5

It's standard in the industry to have standby power especially if the provider is offering voice service, but it can vary area by area as to how well it is maintained. I'd have to assume that It is a high priority nation-wide but I am more familiar with his area since I am in the same region.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

OP here... Good point about the battery backups.. In my area, the DC power supplies are these big green boxes on the poles (or on the ground), and I saw inside one once, and it indeed had something like a car battery inside.. This tells me that the copper portion of the coax on the poles will be powered for at least a while, when all power goes out. --A requirement of digital voice, which must provide 911 svs. Good point...

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to SeaSeaTee5

Premium Member

to SeaSeaTee5
said by SeaSeaTee5:

especially if the provider is offering voice service

I don't get voice service from Comcast. I still use the reliable POTS, which works through power outages.

However if Comcast's voice service goes over the same infrastructure as HSI around here, then voice will die as quickly as I see HSI die during an outage, no?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by camper:

However if Comcast's voice service goes over the same infrastructure as HSI around here, then voice will die as quickly as I see HSI die during an outage, no?

Comcast Voice already uses the same infrastructure. It's just reserved bandwidth on your modem's connection.