spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me

Anon

Bell fibe line fell down in my yard

So umm... I have a new Bell fib line laying across my back yard. Didn't notice it till the dog grabbed it and started playing tug of war with it.

Seems they put it up on the pole temporarily with some pulley's, but the weight of the snow just pulled it all down in my yard.

The dog really likes it.

So if my dog damages a tooth on that negligent bell line install, can I sue for it's vet bills? What about my rose bushes it's fallen on? If it falls any more the line will freeze inside my in-ground pool and there it will have to stay till I hack it out (and accidents can happen). I won't let Bell on my pool coping in case they damage it.

Is there a Bell number someone can give for their cabling Dept to clear up this crap?

I'm more than happy to just cut it in two and toss the ends out of my yard to prevent my dog from damaging a tooth.

mk1_416
@start.ca

mk1_416

Anon

Don't touch the line, if it is actual fiber you could go blind. Call 1 800 668-6878 and tell them their main line is down and about to be frozen into the pool.
mk1_416

mk1_416

Anon

Also this number

Bell Damage Prevention Centre
1 800 664 4445

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

It is possible if you "willfully" damage the cable, even if fallen, Bell could attempt to bill it back to you.

Bell/Videotron/Hydro all have the ability and permissions to run lines across properties, even if temporary. They also do have the ability to enter property to fix issues with their lines/equipment.

2-3 years ago I had a Videotron line down out back, they were out there making a mess for nearly a week.

Side-note, don't let the dog chew it, if it's not Fibre, he/she could get one hell of a shock from it. A live fibre could cause other issues, but the shock would be my worry.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

If you look at your deed, utilities have right of access to your property.

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me

Anon

said by elwoodblues:

If you look at your deed, utilities have right of access to your property.

Yeah, they have access to one meter on the side and along the back line for access and maintenance. I know all about the access. I designed the yard with exactly 1-meter of clearance from any obstruction (notarized and city approved too). They do not have access to run a line or put anything in my pool (contrary to what you may think you know), where they damn cable was last I looked and past the access line.

Anyhow guys are already here binding it properly. I was out and spotted their truck down the street and let them know. Dog wouldn't let them in the yard, so they threw a rope with a hook on it from the neighbours, saw them do it just as I arrived back. Their brand new line has holes in the sheathing from my dog now. *shrug*

I was going to let it freeze in my pool with the holes in the sheathing. Lucky them.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Tell Me :

Their brand new line has holes in the sheathing from my dog now. *shrug*

So Bell will have years of service calls in your hood because of their own negligent stringing of the cable in the first place.

C'est la guerre.

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me

Anon

said by MaynardKrebs:

So Bell will have years of service calls in your hood because of their own negligent stringing of the cable in the first place.

*shrug* dog wont let them in the yard anyhow. It isn't a small dog. Bell can make an appointment with me if the matter is really urgent and if they can't use a neighbours yard. Hope I'm not a no-show!

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by Tell Me :

said by MaynardKrebs:

*shrug* dog wont let them in the yard anyhow. It isn't a small dog. Bell can make an appointment with me if the matter is really urgent and if they can't use a neighbours yard. Hope I'm not a no-show!

You sound like a great guy/neighbourgh!!

lol

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me

Anon

I'm as courteous and punctual as Bell is.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

It isn't "negligent", it is called pulling new cables.

They install pulleys along a cable path, thread the cable on it, pull it across, install more pulleys, pull it some more, rinse and repeat until they reach the end of the run and ONLY THEN start lashing the cable permanently starting from the end so if they find damaged areas, they can cut the cable at the nearest convenient location, pull cable past the damaged part and splice from there.

The temporary setup with pulleys can be there for a week or two.
Expand your moderator at work

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to Tell Me

Premium Member

to Tell Me

Re: Bell fibe line fell down in my yard

What's a Bell fibe line?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

They were pulling new cables, could have been an optical cable, or copper.

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me to pstewart

Anon

to pstewart
Damned if I know. A few weeks back I had some sort of paper hanging from my mail box saying Bell tech's would need access to my yard for the next two weeks to install Bell Fibe.

I waited the two weeks. Saw no one. So after the second week, I blocked access. They were a no-show. So whatever it is they did, they had to use other peoples yards and ropes to by-pass mine.

They did this at my bro-in-laws place as well. They were telling him a new fibre line was being passed in his yard. They referred to it as a Bell fibe line.

It's just a new copper lines and a fib.

So basically what they do is lie to people by playing with words, then after they're done some drone will call or go door-2-door to get people to switch away from videotorn by telling them a new bell fibe line is in their back yards. And the drones tell them it's fibre.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

That may not be entirely true.
If they're running new FTTN lines, those are in fact Fibre, they are not Fibre to your house, but they need to run new Fibre to the nodes.
From the nodes, it will go back to your house as copper. This doesn't change the fact, that they need to run Fibre, regardless of if it's to your home, or to you node, it's still running the cables.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

said by Nitra:

If they're running new FTTN lines, those are in fact Fibre, they are not Fibre to your house, but they need to run new Fibre to the nodes.
From the nodes, it will go back to your house as copper. This doesn't change the fact, that they need to run Fibre, regardless of if it's to your home, or to you node, it's still running the cables.

I was being a bit of a "smart$$$" when I asked what it was - Bell marketing at it's best.

"Fibe" is a brand that Bell uses in Marketing - it really could mean just about anything .. of course they want folks to know they are laying fiber all over the place and to make people believe that you are getting FTTH when in fact it's traditionally copper from the DSLAM to your CPE. Yes, Bell has FTTH in a few select areas and yes a lot of the remotes are fiber fed these days (but not all) ...

Traditionally though the FTTN fiber is ran "curbside" on the municipal right of ways where traditionally the remotes are located (in Canada).

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me to Nitra

Anon

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Yeah, that's the lie, and what they do. It isn't fibre running across my yard. My dog told me so after she chewed it.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
If Bell wanted to run fiber in my area, I'd be brewing up pots of coffee for them. Anything to hasten my departure from wireless.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by b_p_smith:

If Bell wanted to run fiber in my area, I'd be brewing up pots of coffee for them. Anything to hasten my departure from wireless.

As far as they're concerned you live in BF nowhere, and are of little concern to them. The ROI wouldn't pay out for years, if ever.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

Supposedly they are indeed running FTTN, and the node itself is already there (installed within the last couple of months, just not connected). So I live in hope.

The cable company (Cogeco) is less likely. According to a conversation with a tech, in the rural areas (well, probably everywhere) they use the guideline of a minimum four customers per pole when deciding where to string cable. As soon as the density drops below that, they stop. The implication is if you have one property owner with a long frontage anywhere along where the line runs between you and the civilized world, you're out of luck.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

According to the last census there are 2800 or so people in your town. I guess they're planning on signing up everyone to "Fibe".

What do you for TV now? Satellite?
b_p_smith
Premium Member
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

I'm halfway between Kemptville & Merrickville. Both towns are covered by Fiber now, and cable. In fact, both cable & ADSL2 run to within a couple of km of my place (from the Kemptville end). But the cable company (Cogeco) has little incentive to expand.
Bell-wise, I'm on a different CO than the line that ends near me. That actually went in about four years ago, and I've been watching where my CO is looking for activity. The box went in within the last couple of months, and I know they're stringing lines from Kemptville to it. I had a chat with a Bell tech two weeks ago (he was doing a line repair nearby), and while he wasn't aware of timing specifics, it's "coming soon". I drive by the CO every few days looking for activity.

Yeah, TV is satellite. Internet is WiMAX wireless (except for the people who can't get line-of-sight, then it's 4G satellite). I assume once Bell's done I'd be getting ADSL, so I can't imagine I'd be able to do TV through that, and I'm not sure I care.

Tell Me
@videotron.ca

Tell Me to pstewart

Anon

to pstewart
said by pstewart:

I was being a bit of a "smart$$$" when I asked what it was - Bell marketing at it's best.

Want to hear a funnier one?

A month or so prior, Bell hired some tree trimming service to go into everyones back yard to trims branches off those lower lines so the cable and binding machine can pass with ease.

Turns out I knew the guy (in a round about way) and we started shooting it over a beer. He was telling me that Bell gives him his 20$ per house. So for example, at my place he had to do absolutely nothing, 20$ in his pocket. Next door the guy has about 10 or more mature tree's all along the line that has never been cut in like 40-years (only hydro trims them for the top transmission line). I have the keys to the guys place, and I warned him about it. But he giggled it off. So I unlock his gate, he walks up to where the lines are and say's, "F this, i'm not paid enough for this", and walked out.

I don't blame him, that was an easy 4 hour job w/o dragging the limbs and branches back to his truck for removal.

Yesterday when the guys were passing the binding cord over the lines they were swearing pretty loud. They had to snap branches, bounce branches up and down to get the binding machine through. And it just snowed 25-cm yesterday. So every time that binding machine moved 5 inches a tonne of snow kept falling on the guys head. heh you should have heard the swearing. They were mighty pissed off. Took them only about 90-minutes for that one yard.

They had it easy though, 2 years prior Videotron was in there and it took them 5 hours for that one back yard with all those mature overgrown tree's to pull a new cable and bind it. In my yard, they spent 15-minutes. Videotron basically saved those guys 3 hours. They only had 2-3 years of growth to hack through.

That is one heavy job when you are in bushes and tree's pulling cable like that. Top that off with a fresh dumping of 25-cm of snow, well you can imagine the swearing that was going on.