MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

JimThePCGuy to 34764170

MVM

to 34764170

Re: A Leader Here

Comcast can run so much more efficiently so I would think they would pass the savings on to it's customers. No?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by JimThePCGuy:

Comcast can run so much more efficiently so I would think they would pass the savings on to it's customers. No?

Very bizarre logic. If they were going to reduce your bill at all they would have done so already. This isn't going to make a difference.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Maybe you missed my original sarcasm?

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
Still not making any sense. What's the point here?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

Maybe you missed my original sarcasm?

I thought you were being serious. It's hard to tell in text form. There are a lot of people around here that would post such things and be very serious about it.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

JimThePCGuy

MVM

OK
One more time ...
[sarcasm]
With the network efficiency afforded to Comcast by going IPV6, when should I expect a decrease in my cable modem bill as I am sure Comcast wouldn't pass up the opportunity to pass on the $$ savings.
[/sarcasm]

J
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by JimThePCGuy:

With the network efficiency afforded to Comcast by going IPV6, when should I expect a decrease in my cable modem bill as I am sure Comcast wouldn't pass up the opportunity to pass on the $$ savings.

Riiight after they recoup the massive cost of being an early adopter of IPv6…
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

2 recommendations

34764170 (banned)

said by Bink:

Riiight after they recoup the massive cost of being an early adopter of IPv6…

Being years behind the curve is not an early adopter. It is more like dragging their feet less than most of the rest of the industry. It is also debatable how much they really spent. They did not replace their CMTS gear and if they did replace any other network gear it was part of their refresh cycles to do network upgrades; as in it was not specifically for v6 but it could benefit the roll out. What other spending they did like CMS integration of certain aspects of v6 provisioning and such is just part of doing business.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 recommendation

Bink

said by 34764170:

Being years behind the curve is not an early adopter. It is more like dragging their feet less than most of the rest of the industry. It is also debatable how much they really spent. They did not replace their CMTS gear and if they did replace any other network gear it was part of their refresh cycles to do network upgrades; as in it was not specifically for v6 but it could benefit the roll out. What other spending they did like CMS integration of certain aspects of v6 provisioning and such is just part of doing business.

We could say everyone is behind the curve as IPv6 makes up, perhaps, 1% of Internet traffic? The fact is, at least in the US, no other consumer-focused ISP has gone as far as Comcast has with regard to IPv6 and there is a massive learning curve in doing so—not to mention all the issues uncovered as they went down this route—and the time people spent on this stuff cost money as well. Most of the other consumer-focused ISPs are simply waiting for companies like Comcast to do all the time consuming leg work and then take advantage of the lessons learned.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by Bink:

We could say everyone is behind the curve as IPv6 makes up, perhaps, 1% of Internet traffic? The fact is, at least in the US, no other consumer-focused ISP has gone as far as Comcast has with regard to IPv6 and there is a massive learning curve in doing so—not to mention all the issues uncovered as they went down this route—and the time people spent on this stuff cost money as well. Most of the other consumer-focused ISPs are simply waiting for companies like Comcast to do all the time consuming leg work and then take advantage of the lessons learned.

Because not (literally) everyone is behind the curve as IPv6 goes. That's still not a good excuse. If the industry as a whole (consumer/business ISPs, CDNs, content providers, transit providers and so forth) worked on this years ago the situation would be so much further ahead, but since the collective group dragged their feet as much as they have it has set back the progress so much.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

One reason the ISPs did not rush into this was the customers did not see any reason to buy v6 end equipment because the v4 worked fine and they could not get v6. The only reason anybody is doing anything is they have run out of IPv4. AT&T is going to NAT their Uverse system so those customers will be on IPv4 for a long time. This is a chicken and egg problem. This will only work when the end equipment can support both IPv4 and v6 so when the ISP upgrades the customer equipment can use the IPv6.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

And that's part of what I said. Because everyone was not working together. That's debatable if v4 was "working fine", it really is not/was not; it was not designed for the Internet as it is in modern times and is too limited with its address space, but there are other gains to be had as well. Rolling out v6 is not about extending v4. That's a common fallacy. Rolling out only CGNAT doesn't allow people to reach v6 networks/content. Of course it is a chicken and egg problem, way to state the painfully obvious. But if everyone was working together it wouldn't be such a ridiculously slow move forward instead of dragging their feet incessantly. The CPE issue hasn't been an issue for awhile now; it's the same old tired excuse that keeps being repeated over and over again. Enough of the excuses and move forward.