share rss forum feed

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

2014 Price adjustments

From a CT PURA Notice

This is to advise that as of January 1, 2014 there will be some modest changes to select video service rates affecting some new customers and a small percentage of Cablevision’s existing video customers. Certain of these changes are the result of increased programming costs, particularly the cost to carry sporting events and sports related programming.
For new customers only, going forward, the optional Optimum Economy tier rate will be $44.95 per month and the optional Sports and Entertainment Pak will be $8.95 per month. Existing customers with either of these levels of service will not be affected.
Additionally, certain customers who take HBO a la carte and Multi-Room DVR* and have legacy pricing will move to current pricing for these services. Customers paying the pre-2010 rate for the optional HBO a la carte offering will be moved to the current standard price of $14.95 per month. Customers paying the pre-July 2013 rate for the optional Multi-Room DVR service will be moved to the current standard price of $12.95 per month. All of these Multi-Room DVR customers will now receive triple the storage capacity of their current service. Further, the late payment fee will modestly increase to $10.00.
Consistent with other competing voice providers, certain state and federal taxes and fees will be broken out as separate line items on the monthly bills of Optimum Voice* customers.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Here in New Jersey:

I received an e-mail tonight that said---

Beginning with your next billing statement, there will be changes to some of your monthly prices. For details, please visit optimum.net/pay-bill.

But when I log in there, I just see last month's bill (next month is not out yet) and there is NOTHING about these "changes" which I am sure will be increases....

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

They couldn't even explain the changes in the bill? They make you go to a website? And then the webiste doesn't even have the info? Who does their website? Obama? LOL

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

He didn't get his "next bill" yet, so it makes sense. Since different areas have different rate cards, and it sounds like he got a mass email, it also makes sense that the email didn't have specifics.

Though, it's funny that the email went out before info was on the site.

acljump

join:2003-08-28
reply to PX Eliezer

I got the same email. Couldn't find any mention of a price increase on the website. Then I called Cablevision and they told me the prices are in fact increasing for January 2014.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to RemyM

said by RemyM:

Consistent with other competing voice providers

So much the concept of competition.
Let's make a toast for the concept of collusion.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

dezier

@verizon.net

said by MxxCon:

whats wrong with 2 competing companies breaking out individual line items in bills? its for benefit of you the customer.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

Right.
It's for the benefit of the consumer to advertise one price but charge another.
It's for the benefit of the consumer when you have 2 identical choices that do not offer you anything different.
--

SirQAM

@verizon.net
reply to dezier

said by dezier :

said by MxxCon:

whats wrong with 2 competing companies breaking out individual line items in bills? its for benefit of you the customer.

When speaking of collusion, MxxCon was referring to the rate increase and not the line items breakdown.

Essentially, when all companies decide to increase their rates, consumers perceive this as collusion. And while no one is suggesting that the CEOs of Cablevision, Comcast, TW, and VZ held a secret meeting in a sound-proof room and conspired to raise their fees, the fact remains that many consumers do not have viable choices for a pay TV provider. The 1996 telecommunications act, which boasted such competition, was passed only 17 years ago. Yet subscribers have as many choices now as they did in 1996.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to MxxCon

It's called an Oligopoly...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

(Parental Advisory - Adult Language.)
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

RemyM

Stamford, CT
reply to MxxCon

So, do you believe Cablevision will now charge the tax on top of the price for OV? That would mean going from 29.95 including tax to 29.95 plus tax. The posting didn't seem to indicate that.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

If they won't be charging tax extra then they will mis-advertising OV w/o tax to appear cheaper than what it really is.
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to SirQAM

said by SirQAM :

while no one is suggesting that the CEOs of Cablevision, Comcast, TW, and VZ held a secret meeting in a sound-proof room and conspired to raise their fees

I am suggesting that.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
--

Sammi

@verizon.net
reply to MxxCon

Competition only guarantees more than 1 provider in the marketplace. No guarantee on different products,prices. Macy's and JCpenny compete but sell the same things at similar price. Point of competition is to keep prices in line and spur innovation. You seem to think its to give consumer everything for free. They're business and point of business is to profit.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

"You seem to think its to give consumer everything for free."

How did you manage to draw that conclusion? No one has mentioned anything about wanting the services for free. We expect the business to actually compete - to try to undersell the other to woo away their customers. Not to raise their prices so that they are all on the same page.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Sammi

said by Sammi :

Competition only guarantees more than 1 provider in the marketplace. No guarantee on different products,prices. Macy's and JCpenny compete but sell the same things at similar price. Point of competition is to keep prices in line and spur innovation.

Incomplete perspective, one which no economist of whatever economic orientation would agree with.

Competition on price is [part] of a free market.

Markets where there is no effective price competition are controlled by oligopolies or by a monopoly.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to RemyM

My bill no longer has an Additional Outlet Fee of 1.50 and has a credit for last month?

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

They did away with that fee as each area became completely digital.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by matcarl:

My system went digital months ago, timing does not make any sense.
I did however swap out my last SA8300 for a Samsung and switched to Multi-Room DVR. Credit started the day I did this, 1.55 for Additional Outlet Fee.

anonn

@optonline.net
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

My area is completely digital and has been for over a year and I'm still getting charged that fee.

optrouterguy

@208.70.235.x

yep, same here in CT

disy

join:2003-01-02
Norwalk, CT

it's still on my bill too and the extra charge for sports really makes me crazy. we watch no sports in my household and when I called about it, they said I cannot opt out of this

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to RemyM

I'm curious to see if the Additional Outlet Fee remains off on my future bills

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to disy

You guys that still have that Additional Outlet fee should call. I'm almost certain that fee was terminated a long time ago. They may have forgotten to take it off some people's accounts.

uroberto

join:2001-05-01
Piscataway, NJ

I'm in central NJ, I still see the fee in the pricing webpage for my area. I have relatives in Bayonne and they have it as well.
Premium Programming on Additional Outlets $1.50

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Maybe it's another charge I'm thinking of then that they used to have, but I don't know why some people had that charge removed while others still have it.

RemyM

Stamford, CT

1 edit

said by matcarl:

Maybe it's another charge I'm thinking of then that they used to have, but I don't know why some people had that charge removed while others still have it.

There used to be a $4.95 iO navigation charge for having a digital box but just analog service. Once your system went all digital that charge went away. The $1.50 additional outlet charge is still on my bill since I have 3 boxes.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

If you had only one box prior to the upgrade then you would have had it waived.

geniv

join:2007-09-20
Brooklyn, NY

I just got on chat with them and
It is a $5 increase (I just got internet service and in NYC)

kinda FKED up because last year my price was alreaddy raised by $5

===========================
CHAT LOG (with name and address hiddened)
========================
Lisandra: Hi, my name is Lisandra and I will be assisting you today.
Lisandra: I understand, and can help.

Can you verify the address on the account?
Firstname lastname: hi
Firstname lastname: I just got an email sayign that ther will be
Firstname lastname: "Beginning with your next billing statement, there will be changes to some of your monthly prices. For details, please visit optimum.net/pay-bill. "
Firstname lastname: canm you tell me exactally what the changes are I can't find the information on the web
Lisandra: Can you verify the address on the account?
Firstname lastname: [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Lisandra: Thank you
Lisandra: Allow me a few moments while I look into your account
Lisandra: The rate change will be on the internet service it will go up $5.00
Firstname lastname: didn't the price raise by $5 a year ago?
Lisandra: Yes
Firstname lastname: can you get me the phone number to account cancellation?
Lisandra: you can call directly at (877) 936-4778. They are opened from Monday-Friday: 9am – 8:45pm and Saturday & Sunday: 9am – 6:45pm.
Lisandra: We also offer tv and phone, if you added service you would qualify for a promotion
Firstname lastname: thanks but no thanks, I'm talking to a Fios rep right now

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

said by geniv:

I just got on chat with them and
It is a $5 increase (I just got internet service and in NYC)

kinda FKED up because last year my price was alreaddy raised by $5

===========================
CHAT LOG (with name and address hiddened)
========================
Lisandra: Hi, my name is Lisandra and I will be assisting you today.
Lisandra: I understand, and can help.

Can you verify the address on the account?
Firstname lastname: hi
Firstname lastname: I just got an email sayign that ther will be
Firstname lastname: "Beginning with your next billing statement, there will be changes to some of your monthly prices. For details, please visit optimum.net/pay-bill. "
Firstname lastname: canm you tell me exactally what the changes are I can't find the information on the web
Lisandra: Can you verify the address on the account?
Firstname lastname: [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Lisandra: Thank you
Lisandra: Allow me a few moments while I look into your account
Lisandra: The rate change will be on the internet service it will go up $5.00
Firstname lastname: didn't the price raise by $5 a year ago?
Lisandra: Yes
Firstname lastname: can you get me the phone number to account cancellation?
Lisandra: you can call directly at (877) 936-4778. They are opened from Monday-Friday: 9am – 8:45pm and Saturday & Sunday: 9am – 6:45pm.
Lisandra: We also offer tv and phone, if you added service you would qualify for a promotion
Firstname lastname: thanks but no thanks, I'm talking to a Fios rep right now

sucks, hopefully the Fios rep can give you a better deal for now.