TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to devolved

MVM

to devolved

Re: rate increase

said by devolved:

Providers love to see people switching, because they know eventually those customers who jumped ship will be back.

I have only switched once; from the ILEC serving my region to a CLEC. If I ever move out of this area, I'll have to find a new provider; but until then I will not switch back.

OTOH, I doubt that they are missing my custom.

Mikmax1
@wideopenwest.com

Mikmax1 to DarthSaruman

Anon

to DarthSaruman
I just got a letter today. WOW dropping Encore and Starz from Digital Sig, unless we pay 12 more per month. Also got a 3 ding for HBO. That's a lot of money at once.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

Got the same. I'm getting closer and closer to just dropping TV completely.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to Mikmax1

to Mikmax1
From the WOW Buzz: It is always our goal to provide our customers with a variety of programming at a fair price. We make programming decisions in part on customers demand for a network and then work to obtain or continue carriage of the network in a manner that will be fair for all customers. In this case, WOW! was unable to reach fair and reasonable terms with Starz at this time and still include it in your bundle. If you have questions regarding your specific account please contact us at 1-866-496-9669 and we will do everything we can to assist you.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by baess:

In this case, WOW! was unable to reach fair and reasonable terms with Starz at this time and still include it in your bundle

So does the price of the bundle drop to allow for the thing that is not bundled? That would be fine with me. Unbundle everything and let me pick what I want to pay extra for.
vincep5
join:2005-04-07
Arlington Heights, IL

vincep5

I doubt it. Visit their page on Facebook "the wow buzz". Many negative comments about this huge change. I also feel like they failed on their guarantee. So essentially they are making $12 on everyone with the signature package.

I am not paying extra for starz. They can keep it!

I cannot wait until the day I cut cable all together or when we have the ability to pick and choose channels.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

I don't think I've ever watched it anyway - but if it is gone the price should go down.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to DarthSaruman

to DarthSaruman
Jeez, without Starz/Encore bundled in the Signature package, the price is getting awfully close to the other providers. Yet, WOW offers less channels for similar pricing. I only have Digital Basic using Tivo's for my receiver/dvr's, so the bundled price is still fairly reasonable compared to other providers. But I recently dropped Dish to add tv to my WOW package and this is still a better deal.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to DarthSaruman

to DarthSaruman
These cable companies and content providers think tv is like cigarettes, and they can just keep raising the prices and people will pay for it anyway. I think a lot of people are ready for plan B. Older folks will go back to an antennae, and younger people will use Netflix, and other steaming services.
baess

baess to lesmikesell

to lesmikesell
said by lesmikesell:

I don't think I've ever watched it anyway - but if it is gone the price should go down.

I DVR'd some movies from Starz here and there, they had some exclusives. Also watched their original show DaVinci's Demons. Way convoluted but I guess I won't be seeing Season 2. No way will I pay $12.

Disappointed by all these changes. We watch too much TV that isn't avilable on Netflix or other similar services so we are stuck.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

We watch broadcast network stations that we could get free and probably in better quality with a simple antenna at least 90% of the time. Netflix and youtube could fill the rest easily. But so far I like the way the ultra tv and media players work enough to stay until the price actually goes up. I'd have to buy 3 tivos with service to match the convenience - but I suppose it would still pay off after several years.
SScorpio
join:2002-12-31
Canton, MI

SScorpio

said by lesmikesell:

We watch broadcast network stations that we could get free and probably in better quality with a simple antenna at least 90% of the time. Netflix and youtube could fill the rest easily. But so far I like the way the ultra tv and media players work enough to stay until the price actually goes up. I'd have to buy 3 tivos with service to match the convenience - but I suppose it would still pay off after several years.

It might be worth checking out a Tivo Roamio HD. It has four tuners and supports over the air. You can get it for $150, and then there is the $15/month or $500 lifetime service charge. The Roamio also supports Tivo minis which are $100 retail but you can find them for less, these have a monthly charge or $150 lifetime.

For $1,100 you'd be able to watch TV in every room, as well as watch Netflix and Youtube on any of them. The upfront cost is pretty pricey but if you dropped cable TV completely it would take a year and a half or so to pay off the setup, and then you are left with hardware that you can sell.

Netflix and Youtube on Tivos also support the DIAL protocol which is what the Chromecast uses. So you can control the video from a tablet or smart phone.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

The tivo line is oddly schizophrenic - the base model won't accept a cablecard and the higher end ones don't have over the air tuners. It would be nicer if you had the option for either after your purchase. And I have issues with the idea of paying an extra service charge for the minis that are basically just running on your own network. But, it is good to know that a somewhat affordable alternative exists.
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by lesmikesell:

The tivo line is oddly schizophrenic - the base model won't accept a cablecard and the higher end ones don't have over the air tuners. It would be nicer if you had the option for either after your purchase. And I have issues with the idea of paying an extra service charge for the minis that are basically just running on your own network. But, it is good to know that a somewhat affordable alternative exists.

EVERY Tivo since the Series 3 accepts cable cards. Where did you hear this wrong information? The base model is either ota or cable (not both at the same time like the Series 3 and Premiere), the higher priced models are cable only.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by mogamer:

EVERY Tivo since the Series 3 accepts cable cards. Where did you hear this wrong information? The base model is either ota or cable (not both at the same time like the Series 3 and Premiere), the higher priced models are cable only.

The new Roamio line is different - and would be better if you didn't have to choose only cable or over the air when you buy:

»www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by lesmikesell:

said by mogamer:

The new Roamio line is different - and would be better if you didn't have to choose only cable or over the air when you buy:

»www.tivo.com/shop/roamio

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· _id/2716

Go to this page and click the 4-tuner Romaio Start poster. It tells you about setting it up with a cable card. The 4-tuner model has the cable card slot in the bottom of the unit. If you don't believe me, just go to the Tivo Community forums.
outsider0
join:2002-11-28
Dearborn, MI

outsider0 to Mikmax1

to Mikmax1
No kidding - from where? We got nailed with a $6/mo/year increase in the Detroit area with no explanation whatsoever.
outsider0

outsider0 to Mikmax1

to Mikmax1
They didn't say anything about that in *our* letter - just that it was getting jacked up about $6 more per month. They can have it if I can drop it; both Starz and Encore make re-runs look palatable. I suspect much more of this involves FS1/FS2, and FXX - and having to eat crap to keep what used to be Speed; FS1, to maintain motorsports and "new, wonderful!" coverage.
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4 to DarthSaruman

to DarthSaruman
When did everyone receive this letter about starz/encore?

Also, what state are you in?

I wonder if all states are effected
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

Go to this page and click the 4-tuner Romaio Start poster. It tells you about setting it up with a cable card. The 4-tuner model has the cable card slot in the bottom of the unit. If you don't believe me, just go to the Tivo Community forums.

Thanks - I didn't understand that about the 4-tuner model. But, I'd probably want the extra features of the plus model except that it won't work at all over the air.
baess

baess to grantsa4

to grantsa4
said by grantsa4:

When did everyone receive this letter about starz/encore?

Also, what state are you in?

I wonder if all states are effected

I'm in Illinois too and no letter for this...yet. But its on their website and their blog post. Done deal.
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4

Can someone direct me to where it is on their website and it blog post?
Dagnabit
join:2007-02-17
Warren, MI

Dagnabit

said by grantsa4:

Can someone direct me to where it is on their website and it blog post?

Yes, I can find it nowhere, either. I also got a letter with rate increase but no mention of Starz/Encore.
mnaz
join:2001-10-31
Bay Village, OH

mnaz

I got my rate increase letter a few weeks ago. I just got the Starz letter today in Cleveland area.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

Just got the Starz/Encore letter today myself. Dated 12/13.

It does say they'll be adding Sundance, WeTV (?), and IFC.

I know WOW is in the middle as much as anything. Has anyone put forth to the premium channel providers that their real competition is Netflix?

Netflix streaming has set the market price. $8/month for everything they offer, on my schedule, vs $12/month for Starz/Encore? Or $20 (or whatever)/month for HBO or Showtime? To be forced to watch their limited lineup, over and over again?

Their other competition is, frankly, the internet plus the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day--and only so many of those hours are available to me for TV-based entertainment.

I can't wait for HBO et al. to simply wither away and die, like so many other obsolete things in this world. It's not 1979 any more, guys. Good luck with your business model.
baess

baess to grantsa4

to grantsa4
Got the letter for the Chicagoland market today. Same story as others posted. In the Digital Signature line-up bye to Starz/Encore, adding WeTV (never heard of it ), Sundance (didn't they have this at one time and then dropped it?) and IFC.
baess

baess to adam1991

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

Netflix streaming has set the market price. $8/month for everything they offer, on my schedule, vs $12/month for Starz/Encore? Or $20 (or whatever)/month for HBO or Showtime? To be forced to watch their limited lineup, over and over again?

Their other competition is, frankly, the internet plus the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day--and only so many of those hours are available to me for TV-based entertainment.

I can't wait for HBO et al. to simply wither away and die, like so many other obsolete things in this world. It's not 1979 any more, guys. Good luck with your business model.

Too bad we won't have Starz anymore. There was recently an article that said Starz was the Premium network to watch. Their new boss came from HBO and presided over that network in its Sopranos era. They plan to have 65-70% original programming.

We like the original programming you get from the Premium channels. Even Netflix got in the game so apparently they understand there is value in doing it.

So unless we want to wait until a season is available on DVD or just forget about some programs (some never run on anything but their own Premium channel) we'll stay with HBO for now.

Not sure why you would wish HBO et. al bad? If you don't want to subscribe that's your choice. I'm not that enamored of Netflix but I don't wish them ill.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to baess

to baess
WeTV, I think you mean either MeTV (an oldies channel) or WE (Women's Entertainment). If it's MeTV they have some good older shows from the 50's, 60's 70's. Just my .02 cents.
baess

baess

said by goober22:

WeTV, I think you mean either MeTV (an oldies channel) or WE (Women's Entertainment). If it's MeTV they have some good older shows from the 50's, 60's 70's. Just my .02 cents.

Nope it's WeTV.

Reality shows and reruns of 90's shows. Doubt we'll ever watch it. Starz on the other hand, we watched.

»www.wetv.com/
Dagnabit
join:2007-02-17
Warren, MI

Dagnabit to DarthSaruman

to DarthSaruman
So I have a question. We currently have signature with ultra. Can anyone tell me how much would we save by downgrading from that to basic with Ultra?