batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

Two Actiontec's, one SSID...

I think I heard of this being done, but wanted to see if anyone was doing it with the ActionTec's. I have my main 802.11 AP upstairs on the 1st floor. I'd like a backup AP in the basement where it can be attached to a UPS Can I have both units broadcast the same SSID, as long as I hard-configure them for different channels?

Then, transparently, the laptops / wireless devices in the house will flip over to the backup AP in the basement, when the power fails, correct? --The wireless devices must be configured for 'auto' as far as channel goes, so they can move between channels. Do I have this right?

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
yes. Same SSID and WEP/WPA2 key. different channels

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to batsona
This is the standard way to ser up a wifi network with multiple access points, yes. I don't think there's a need to hardwire the channel numbers, either. I just use auto on everything here. (I have three access points in my LAN, all with the same SSID.)
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to batsona
yes. wifi was designed to do that, your clients will switch seamlessly between access points.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
OP here: I was successful. I saw a very nice chart on the Internet that shows the different frequency numbers against their respective channel numbers. Each channel is 22Mhz wide, and it said that the channels that are best to use are 1 and 11, since they are the furthest apart, and allows the NIC driver on the client side to more easily determine which AP is strongest & which one is preferred. I thought I'd turn off SSID broadcast, but all that does, is make the backup AP show up as "Unknown Network" in Windows, and the switchover won't occur. After turning b'cast back on, Windows only saw 'one' SSID. Tested by walking over and turning off my prime AP. I lost one ping (had a looping ping running) perfect!

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY
reply to batsona
Wow, I didn't even know you could do that. Been setting up networks for years too, now I feel kinda dumb :/ lol.

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03
reply to batsona
If you run a tool like WiFi Scanner (mac) it will show you the channels in use in your neighborhood. I find fixing the channels in the less frequently used space works well.
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to batsona
Is there a way to tell which router you are really connected to

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by nyrrule27:

Depending on the version of OS should be able to display the the MAC address of the AP. That will tell you which one you are connected to. In Windows Vista or later from the command prompt type: netsh wlan show interfaces

That will display the MAC address of the AP.

/tom

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

1 edit
reply to nyrrule27
said by nyrrule27:

On a Mac you do option -click wifi icon in the top bar-

It will show the PHY Mode, MAC and Channel among other things.
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy