uniqs
round_toit
Premium Member
join:2005-02-01
Pensacola, FL

round_toit

Premium Member

Need help with a clock

This may be the wrong forum. I need help. My wife and I care for an elderly relative who turns 90 in December. (She lives separately from us where all her meals are provided, however, she can administer her own medicine). She has difficulty keeping up with day, date, month. (Gets confused on the calendar). I know she is going downhill with mental acuity, but we want her to remain independent as long as possible.

We need a "LARGE" (preferably digital) clock which displays something like: Today is Monday, 24th November, 2013.

I have searched and found one is England, but it requires being manually reset if the month is other than 31 days.

She has lost most of her hearing and is beginning to diminish is short term memory. Our goal is to maintain her standard of living as long as possible.

Maybe setting up an apple device which does not require connection to the internet, or a device based upon some other OS is the best way to go with an APP.

Feel free to throw this to another thread. This was the best I could do.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

Lots to choose from. Google is your friend.

»www.ebay.com/itm/like/13 ··· ?lpid=82

16" wide $90

»www.google.com/#q=large+ ··· al+clock
round_toit
Premium Member
join:2005-02-01
Pensacola, FL

round_toit

Premium Member

Thank you. I thought I had searched, but obviously I failed. This should be acceptable. Thank you very much.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

Beezel to round_toit

to round_toit
Also check into "atomic clocks". They adjust their time, date, etc. from the US. Atomic Clock.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Beezel:

Also check into "atomic clocks". They adjust their time, date, etc. from the US. Atomic Clock.

+1

I replaced 3 in the house with the Automatic Atomic Clocks and love them!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

Everything that uses time should use the atomic clocks.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by DataDoc:

Great for standalone widgets but for networked devices NTP is cheap and free. Technology is actually also Atomic time but I assume you meant WWV radio broadcast.

»tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi
»www.pool.ntp.org/en/

/tom

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by tschmidt:

said by DataDoc:

Great for standalone widgets but for networked devices NTP is cheap and free. Technology is actually also Atomic time but I assume you meant WWV radio broadcast.

Yes clocks that use the shortwave radio frequency from the US Navel Observatory Master Clock. NTP that you are referring to is also set by the same US Master Clock.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to round_toit

to round_toit
Since this involves taking medicine and memory is going, why not go with the clock but also a pill dispensers such as this. Am assuming she still lives alone. It has a clock and room for 31 days. Only $42.00
""Monthly Pill Organizer Medcenter system with "Parking Garage"
31 pill boxes x 4 doses per day
4 Talking Alarm Clock (LOUD) with long alarm duration
Pill box (31 are included) is easy to open. Timer shows pill box number.
Pill timer is LOUD and resets ever day at midnight (NO reset required)""
»www.amazon.com/MedCenter ··· 00RZPL0M

I would still go with the separate clock. With my folks I found going with a simple LCD clock with red numbers works better and got it from a thrift store for under $5.00.

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

I remember when the first talking alarm clocks came out. Everyone thought they were it.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
I have this exact unit for my elderly mother. It is very nice and the alarm is VERY loud. It will not shut off till you hit the button and it makes it easy for me to setup her medications a month at a time.
Expand your moderator at work