share rss forum feed

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
reply to SparkChaser

Re: [Electrical] Multimeter question

said by SparkChaser:

Nope

OK thanks, so another probably stupid question.

So I know that 0 (zero) means no resistance, like what you get if you simply touch the leads together or test metal or something with pretty much "perfect" conductivity property. And a 1 (one) means that it's full resistance like what you get with the leads touching nothing or putting them on plastic or wood for example.

So I would have thought that everything else would be a number BETWEEN 0 and 1, so I don't understand what the big numbers mean really.

Or am I wrong about the 0 and 1 understanding?
--
Therapy Chicks

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
said by TherapyChick:

So I know that 0 (zero) means no resistance

Actually I believe the scale is 0 ohms to infinity. The more ohms, the more resistance to conductivity.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to TherapyChick
Not exactly resistance goes from 0 (nothing) the infinity. Not sure about that meter but most have some way to indicate resistance higher then they can read (typical the word Over, OL or perhaps flashing display). There is no such thing as "full resistance."

It would be fun to get a variable resistor (perhaps Radio Shack or salvage it out of an old piece of equipment) and watch the display change are you turn the shaft.

/tom

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to TherapyChick
The 1 by itself is the meter's way of telling you the reading is out of range. Select a larger range or, if already set at the highest, you probably have an open circuit.