spc
Search similar:

uniqs
digger16309
join:2007-06-26

digger16309

Stop N Start ESPN Channels

Greetings,

The past few weeks I've noticed increasing partial pixelization (sp) and stop and start of the audio/video, almost as if I had paused it for 1-2 seconds and hit play again. Is that called lag?

Anyway, it was a minor nuisance at first but now it is downright annoying. It's definitely ESPN and ESPN2 for certain. I don't see it on any other channel. I have the Ultimate HD package.

It happens on both my DVR and my standard HD non-DVR box.

It happens with a live program and pre-recorded programs.

It happens while playing a recording from a DVR, and not doing so.

I have done a reset of my boxes and that made no difference at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the ESPNs? Would this be an ESPN issue, a FIOS issue, or a local issue just specific to me and my equipment? If it's the latter, what might the issue be and can I fix it without calling Verizon?

Thanks,

Digger
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I believe the ESPN channels are on QAM frequencies that are more susceptible to interference from external sources. Reseat and tighten your coax connectors to the splitter and to the STBs. Since the problem exists on all of your STBs that may be the issue, or a bad splitter. I would check these things out first.
digger16309

digger16309

I'll do that - thanks!
digger16309

digger16309

I changed out the splitters and that made no difference. I reset the ONT a few times and that made no difference. I reset the boxes...nada.

I had my boxes set to output 1080i. I changed my boxes to output to 720p and the problem went away (I think). I think this problem traces back for me to the 1.94 update. I had zero issues before that update outputting everything in 1080i.

This stinks because now I have to down-rez any 1080i channels to 720p to stop this from happening.

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

Tarheel72 to digger16309

to digger16309
I think this is a FiOS issue. There is another thread on here about audio drop outs. I have noticed that for the last several weeks I have been having drop outs on DVR recorded programs. Specifically I have seen it on The Walking Dead and Homeland, two of the shows I record. It occurs in the same place even if I rewind the scene so it must have either been there when it was recorded or the DVR is inserting it during recording. But I have not noticed it while watching live TV, although in the past I have seen this occur.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to digger16309

to digger16309
FYI: This is only happening on my FioS-provided DVR here, not on my TiVo. Don't know what that means.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Have you switched coax at the splitter to see if the problems moves from the FiOS SBT to your TiVo?
knarf829

knarf829

No, I don't use the FiOS box enough to care. I checked to make sure everything was tight, though.

I figured it was relevant for troubleshooting that I was seeing the same symptoms on the same channels on (what I assume is) the same equipment as the OP, though.
digger16309

digger16309

To update on this....

The down-rezzing everything to 720p did not actually fix the problem, nor did switching to native resolution either. To recap, I also checked all connections and changed out two splitters, but this is happening on BOTH of my boxes and seems to be *mostly* limited to the ESPN channels, although at times I'm seeing it on other channels but it's much more rare.

A FIOS tech came out and was stumped. After 2 hours of trying to sort it out, he changed out the ONT. As with any other *fix* I've tried, that seemed to work at first, and I'm still experiencing the problem on the same channels.

Based on how I'm wired, the tech and I determined the only other thing it could be is the coax coming from the ONT before it splits off to the first box. It could be that. But I thought of something else...

About the same time I noticed this issue, my landlord replaced the entire electrical breaker box in my unit. I'm thinking there may be some small power jumps to that circuit that weren't there with the old box.

I bought a surge protector from monoprice.com which also filters coax. I'm going to try that next.

If that doesn't work, would a ground loop isolator make sense? I know that's primarily for audio hum issues (which I do have on one of my TVs, but precedes the start/stop issue), but would it work to level out the power as well?
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

A coax filter will likely mess up the IP functions of the box and may filter out some QAM channels.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to digger16309

MVM

to digger16309
I have problems with ESPN and the other ESPN channel on the same QAM or whatever it is called. This is on two or three of my seven boxes. On other boxes I have problems with Bravo. I just put it down to marginal coax/connections on those. However, the box with Bravo is a direct coax connection (quad shield/RG6) so who knows. On the boxes with ESPN issues one is direct and the other have splitters.

I gave up trying to fix it. Good luck to you.
digger16309

digger16309 to PJL

to PJL
Can someone please explain what QAM channels are and why the ESPNs qualify as having this classification? I thought QAM channels were ones that could be received without a STB. That's not true for the ESPN-HD channels is it?
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

Betamax76

QAM channels are simply the frequencies FiOS (and most cable companies too) uses to deliver the linear TV programming to your set top box. Channels can be either encrypted (cable channels such as ESPN, HBO, TNT, etc.) or unencrypted (locals, WGN SD, WeatherScan Local, basically channels 1 to 49 and 501 to 549 are CLEAR QAM). Encrypted channels require either a set top box or cable card to receive, whereas unencrypted channels can be received by any QAM tuner.

With the launch of 4G LTE by carriers like Verizon Wireless and AT&T, QAM frequencies in the 700 MHz range have become more problematic for operators due to the high power output of smartphones to send and receive data.
bobcamp177
join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177 to digger16309

to digger16309
Yes, I started experiencing the same exact problem last month as well! ESPN is bad -- one of those disruptions happened right in the middle of the game-winning field goal for MNF. I'm going through all the things you went through now with no luck so far. I just changed out my splitter and am crossing my fingers. I'm in the Syracuse area -- are you as well?

Other channels also have more minor blips in video or audio that weren't there last month. Comedy Central SD and A&E. Other channels do NOT have any blips, like Smithsonian HD and my local channels.
digger16309

digger16309

Well, I'm not sure if this is fixed or not, but 30 minutes of viewing ESPN and I haven't seen the problem for the first time in weeks. Also, TBS was an issue for me I noticed.

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a new surge suppressor from monoprice.com and plugged only the ONT into it and plugged that directly into the wall socket.

2) I did NOT use the grounded plug Verizon installed on my outlet to plug the ONT into. Note that just unplugging from that and into a different wall socket did not solve the problem.

3) As previously described, I sent shielded coax from the ONT to the supressor in, then shielded coax out to my first splitter. I meant to change out that cable but ordered one too short.

It seems to be solved now. If so, it was something to do with power on the line, so the surge surpressor and/or the cable power filter fixed it. I don't know which one and at this point I don't care as long as it is in fact fixed. If it turns out not to be fixed, I'll change out the cable to the first splitter as that is the only thing I haven't changed. I do think that Verizon plug-in surpressor may have played a role in the original problem. Maybe just having it plugged into the wall caused the problem.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to digger16309

MVM

to digger16309
Or just unplugging the coax and then back in again was enough to make a better connection. These problems can be frustrating to troubleshoot.
digger16309

digger16309

Yeah, but I did all of that before I even replaced the splitters.
bobcamp177
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177

TBS was also bad for me, though I don't watch the channel very often.

A tech. came out and replaced the spiltter. One of the cable connectors tested bad, so he replaced it. I haven't watched enough TV to say the problem is fixed, but I haven't seen it yet.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by bobcamp177:

TBS was also bad for me, though I don't watch the channel very often.

I watch a couple shows on TBS and it can be wonky. Has been for a while though. Just learned to live with it since all the other channels I watch regularly seem fine.
bobcamp177
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177

Well, it's still happening after the new splitter and fixed connector. I'll contact FIOS again. It's happening on channels I watch.

jimbo248
join:2001-08-09
Plymouth Meeting, PA

jimbo248 to digger16309

to digger16309
I have the same issue. At times I have to give up watching in HD. It is getting frustrating.
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

cnyguy to digger16309

to digger16309
Had this same issue only with the ESPN channels back in November. Went away after a week or 2 without any personal change to my config.
djoropallo
join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ

djoropallo to digger16309

to digger16309
I get it a few times and it is only ESPN, I have to reboot the box to get it to go.

itw
@google.com

itw

Anon

I have this problem and I'm in Columbus Ohio. I've had this problem with Verizon, wow cable, and time Warner Cable. It's only the hd channelson the dvr unit. At the present time espn hd doesn't work at all. I think is a problem with espn since I've had this issue from several providers.
real_goose
join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL

real_goose to knarf829

to knarf829
I started watching bowl games on ESPN last week and I consistently notice stoppage of the audio/video live and recorded. We don't have issues on any other channels. I only use TiVos directly wired to a Verizon provided powered splitter. No problem has been seen on any other channel, so I assume it is ESPN (or Verizon ESPN) specific.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

I've noticed this week the video on ESPN HD breaking up and pixelating as if there is a problem with the channel. It's not the usual quick pause and the video resumes.

One time the video went out and then a still frame of the previous SC anchors was on the screen then video returned. That surely is not an issue related to what QAM frequency the channel is on.

Some times on FNC HD and TWC HD I notice the video does a pause for a second then comes back.
knarf829

1 edit

knarf829 to digger16309

to digger16309
I've watched the majority of the bowl games these past couple weeks (and I was sober for some of them) and I've seen exactly none of it. I'm guessing it's as PJL said early on: "the ESPN channels are on QAM frequencies that are more susceptible to interference from external sources" and if you've got any small break in a cable or weird seating, you're going to see problems there first.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to digger16309

MVM

to digger16309
Per my report in another thread I traced my ESPN/2 problem to coax that could not handle the marginal frequencies. It was the common denominator on the boxes I had problems on. I replaced with regular RG6 and all is good with one exception. I am seeing the occasional pixelation that others are reporting here. It's not every day. The problem I had before changing my coax was an inability to get the channels at all.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to real_goose

to real_goose
said by real_goose:

I started watching bowl games on ESPN last week and I consistently notice stoppage of the audio/video live and recorded. We don't have issues on any other channels. No problem has been seen on any other channel, so I assume it is ESPN (or Verizon ESPN) specific.

Same here and it's happening to us on every FiOS DVR/STB and only with ESPN HD, so very doubtful it has anything to do with my coax, unless every single run of coax I have has a problem with ESPN. Was very noticeable during the Orange Bowl last night.
knarf829

knarf829

I watched the entire Orange Bowl last night and it was fine here.

Think about it what's been reported in this thread.
* We know ESPN-HD is on the same QAM frequency for everyone.

* We know some people in widely disparate locations are seeing this problem while others in the same geographic region as those who are seeing the problem are not seeing it.

* We know that djoropallo got it to work by rebooting his box (an in-home issue, rebooting your box doesn't fix anything at Verizon or ESPN)

* We know digger16309 fixed it by improving his cabling situation (an in-home issue, improving your cabling doesn't fix anything at Verizon or ESPN).

What else could it be but an in-home issue? There's a lot of bad cable out there, a lot of badly formed compression fittings, a lot of failing splitters (they don't last forever). If there's a problem with your main run coming into the house, you're going to see it on all boxes. If there's a problem with the main splitter feeding everything, you're going to see it on all boxes.

It's too widespread to be a VHO problem.
Too many people are not seeing it for it to be a nationwide ESPN or Verizon problem
People have reported fixing it by doing things like upgrading their cables or rebooting their boxes.

Logically, presented with this evidence, what else could it be?