spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

Fun with e-mail ports

I just set up a new domain e-mail address with an independent web hosting company. I successfully set up SSL using port 995 (POP3) and port 465 (SMTP) as recommended by the hosting company. This works fine when I am connected via my home Shaw account in Coquitlam.

However, when I take my laptop to work (Burnaby) and connected via their Shaw Business account, my e-mail client (Outlook) fails to connect on port 995. There is no port screening (that I know of) set up at work (its a home office with residential router). Does Shaw selectively block (or use) port 995 for something (such as VOIP) in Burnaby?

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Check with your IT department to see if they did something funny.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
No, the only port blocking/modifying in place from Shaw is TCP 25 outgoing is blocked unless you are using a static IP
Expand your moderator at work
Glen T
BC

Glen T to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: Fun with e-mail ports

It turns out to be more than that. The entire domain is not accessible. In fact, the IP number is not accessible. Its weird. At home, works fine. At this location, doesn't work.

I just updated the firmware on the residential router at work and wiped and reconfigured it. No change.

For whatever reason, on this loop, I can't get at the IP number, and on my home loop, I can.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

You mind sharing your domain with us? What DNS servers are you using?
Glen T
BC

Glen T

pm sent, thank you.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Glen T

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

I just set up a new domain e-mail address with an independent web hosting company. I successfully set up SSL using port 995 (POP3) and port 465 (SMTP) as recommended by the hosting company. This works fine when I am connected via my home Shaw account in Coquitlam.

However, when I take my laptop to work (Burnaby) and connected via their Shaw Business account, my e-mail client (Outlook) fails to connect on port 995. There is no port screening (that I know of) set up at work (its a home office with residential router). Does Shaw selectively block (or use) port 995 for something (such as VOIP) in Burnaby?

Just FYI both of those port numbers are deprecated. Using SSL explicitly wrapped ports is the old way of doing things. The recommended way of doing things is using port 587 (the submission port) and the standard POP3 port 110 but using STARTTLS.
Expand your moderator at work