share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

Re: [Electrical] Multimeter question

Hopefully the OP is aware that a 5th grader should not be testing line voltage even for a school project.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
said by robbin:

Hopefully the OP is aware that a 5th grader should not be testing line voltage even for a school project.

My son inserted the probes into an AC socket (while I was in the bathroom) right after I warned him about that. He had originally wanted to measure DC voltage across his batteries to see which ones are still good.

For younger kids, there is an excellent electronics learning kit called snapcircuits:
»www.snapcircuits.net/

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

Yes, we're just testing resistance on non-electrified objects such as fruit, water, metals, wood, plastics. (we're testing on the obvious insulators such as plastic to show something that does not conduct a electricity)
--
Therapy Chicks

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

said by TherapyChick:

Yes, we're just testing resistance on non-electrified objects such as fruit, water, metals, wood, plastics. (we're testing on the obvious insulators such as plastic to show something that does not conduct a electricity)

Try a dark pencil (#2 wooden pencil would be more sure) line drawn on paper.

Try 2 people holding hands, and have each person grab a different probe tip. (highest resistance range).

Try a diode in the diode range. Note that temperature changes the reading.

Try a bipolar transistor. It works like two diodes but the collector-to-base will show less drop than emitter to base. Probably outside the scope of what you are doing.