uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

Re: [Electrical] Multimeter question

Meter is a poor design. The multimeters I use have one +jack for AC/DC Volts and the other +jack for Amps and Ohms.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I've never ever seen a meter like you describe. All of the meters I have used, including Fluke, have volts and Ohms on one terminal and Amps on another.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Meter is a poor design. The multimeters I use have one +jack for AC/DC Volts and the other +jack for Amps and Ohms.

It doesn't; the ohms you see on the left refers to the selector legends, not to the jack below.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

The meter in question did have separate jacks. It had one jack for V/ohms, one for 300mA range (fused) and one for 10A range (not fused).

I stupidly left the probe plugged into the 10A jack when attempting to measure voltage. This was over a decade ago when I was young and careless.

Nevertheless, it's still very poor design to have a non-fused current jack on a multimeter.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Raphion
said by Raphion:

said by Mr Matt:

It doesn't; the ohms you see on the left refers to the selector legends, not to the jack below.

Now that I actually read this, i see Matt was talking about his own meters, not the OP's meter. I thought he said the OPs meter had the high current and resistance jacks combined in one. Sleep deprivation is bad.