Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gunni

join:2005-12-06
Bethesda, MD

2 edits

Actiontec M1424WR Rev I and fixed WiFi addresses

Just yesterday I installed a new Actiontec router. I have 8 devices connected wirelessly and was wondering if I would be well advised to assign each of these a static IP address.

I previously had problems with my wirelessly connected Brothers H-2270DW printer "dropping" from the network and after much research, found that it is better to assign a static IP address to the printer.

Got me to thinking: why not assign static IP addresses to all the devices?

Many thanks

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

assigning static ips are useful if you need to write a fw rule or nat port forward to allow traffic on a device. you could assign each device with a static ip but if dhcp works, there wouldn't be a difference.

also, assigning static ips to mobile devices isn't advisable to make switching between access points in different locations easier. newer devices allow assigning static ip per ssid though.

Gunni

Bethesda, MD

1 recommendation

Thanks very much for that advice, DK.

Much appreciated.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to Gunni

said by Gunni:

why not assign static IP addresses to all the devices?

Do you mean true static IP addresses, or are you referring to DHCP reservations?

A true static IP address is always assigned at the device. Not a good idea for a device that can connect to multiple networks.

A DHCP reservation (Actiontec calls this a static lease) is a MAC address, IP address pair stored by the router and returned as the result of a DHCP request by the device. A DHCP reservation will work just fine for wireless clients. Only problem is that if a hard reset ever occurs on the router, the DHCP reservations will be lost. You can always save the router's configuration file and then reload it after a hard reset.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Gunni

Bethesda, MD

said by More Fiber:

Do you mean true static IP addresses, or are you referring to DHCP reservations?

Ah, the danger of answering questions from those not intimately familiar with the innards of their routers.

In short, I don't know. I assigned the static IP to my printer in the following manner::
Logged into the router preferences.
Went to Advanced settings.
IP Address Distribution
DHCP connection list
Chose Printer
Clicked the box for Static Lease Type
Click Apply and close.

The odd thing to me is, however, when in the router preferences I go to My Network settings and get the device information for that printer, it shows Dynamic under Lease Type.

So, which do I have a static address or a dynamic one? A DHCP reservation?

I have already saved the router's configuration file in case I screwed something up and had to do a hard reset.

Many thanks.
--
2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac; 2011 MacBook Air; 2012 MacBook Pro (Retina);
Mini iPad; iPhone 5; Brother HL-2270DW Printer; Actiontec M1424WR Rev I

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by Gunni:

So, which do I have a static address or a dynamic one? A DHCP reservation?

You have a DHCP reservation.

The router is correctly showing the lease type as dynamic. Since a static IP address is not configured at the printer, the printer requests a DHCP lease. The router recognizes that the MAC address of the printer is in the DHCP reservation table and issues the corresponding IP address in the DHCP response. Why Actiontec chose to confuse things by calling this a static lease, I don't know.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Gunni

Bethesda, MD

Thanks so much for that explanation, sir.

Much appreciated.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Gunni

said by Gunni:

In short, I don't know. I assigned the static IP to my printer in the following manner::
Logged into the router preferences.
Went to Advanced settings.
IP Address Distribution
DHCP connection list
Chose Printer
Clicked the box for Static Lease Type
Click Apply and close.

You did it perfectly. Yay!
Ha, so much for not being familiar with the innards of your router. Don't sell yourself short. You've been doing very well the past few weeks. You seem to be catching on pretty quick.