spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CBLMorphis
join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

CBLMorphis

[Rant] Never Another Samsung TV Ever Again

I once thought Samsung was a excellent TV until I spent $1,600.00 on my very first 40" LCD. I have also a Sony 40" and I just ordered a Vizio 50".

I have had nothing but bad experience with Samsung that I an to the point done with there company.

What first transpired the TV after only having it for a year, started shutting itself off. Come to find out it was low wattage capacitors and soon they sent out a tech after 2 years waiting and fixed, shortly there after, I got this strange smudge behind the screen which seems to be transparent.

I contacted Samsung, and I cannot believe that they are so greedy they don't want to stand behind there product, and they have the gull to charge me for something that never worked in the first place?

They sit there and say to me not under warranty? Really? How can you have warranty for something that never worked in the first place and never worked right from when I 1st bought it.

I am not looking for anything free here, I just want what I paid for and be done and happy with it, but Samsung has turned me away and I have giving them chances and they will not budge a inch.

While some of you may be dedicated Samsung consumers, I am NOT one of them. I think they are crap and will never EVER buy any of there products again.

I am happy to say I ordered a Vizio 50" 1080p 3D, Smart, 240htz for 599.99 and see you Samsung, goodbye. I won't miss you one bit.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts

»[Rant] Samsung LCD TV

We get it. Samsung bad.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

La Luna

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

»[Rant] Samsung LCD TV

We get it. Samsung bad.

Almost seven months later, no less.

He forgot to mention this time that the set is more than 6 years old.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

3 recommendations

removed

Premium Member

Did you guys notice that the price went from $1400 7 months ago to $1600 now? Maybe the OP bought it at Rent-A-Center with massive interest.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by removed:

Did you guys notice that the price went from $1400 7 months ago to $1600 now? Maybe the OP bought it at Rent-A-Center with massive interest.

I was just gonna say anyone who pays $1600 for a 40" LCD is crazy, my 50" LED Visio only cost me $800 w/tax.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by Santa Fe:

said by removed:

I was just gonna say anyone who pays $1600 for a 40" LCD is crazy, my 50" LED Visio only cost me $800 w/tax.

It was 6 years ago...that price isn't so far out of whack for that time frame.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to CBLMorphis

to CBLMorphis
said by CBLMorphis:

I once thought Samsung was an excellent TV until I spent $1,600.00 on my very first 40" LCD. I have also a Sony 40" and I just ordered a Vizio 50".

I have had nothing but bad experience with Samsung that I am to the point done with their company.

What first transpired with the TV after only having it for a year, it started shutting itself off. Come to find out it was low wattage capacitors and soon they sent out a tech after 2 years waiting and fixed, shortly thereafter, I got this strange smudge behind the screen which seems to be transparent.

I contacted Samsung, and I cannot believe that they are so greedy they don't want to stand behind their product, and they have the gall to charge me for something that never worked in the first place?

They sit there and say to me that it is not under warranty? Really? How can you have a warranty for something that never worked in the first place and never worked right from when I first bought it.

I am not looking for anything free here, I just want what I paid for and to be done and happy with it, but Samsung has turned me away and I have been giving them chances and they will not budge an inch.

While some of you may be dedicated Samsung consumers, I am NOT one of them. I think they are crap and will never EVER buy any of their products again.

I am happy to say I ordered a Vizio 50" 1080p 3D, Smart, 240htz for 599.99 and see you Samsung, goodbye. I won't miss you one bit.

I remember back in the 80's my brother and his wife bought a Samsung TV. I remember thinking how cheesy that name sounded. They had nothing but trouble with it.

I think they have probably improved a lot since then. But judging by your experience maybe they have not.

Good move on the Visio.

I have had a 42" for 7 years now and I wish I had not wasted the $150.00 on the no-questions-asked warranty.

Visio is excellent imho.

Blob
workablob

workablob to Koil

to Koil
6 or 7 years ago I bought my 42" Visio for around $850.00.

Blob

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
My 59" D6500 Samsung plasma has never given me a meson of trouble in going on three years. However, I heard similarly unflattering things about Samsung's post-sale support. Guess I'll never find out now, since it's out of warranty and will be repaired by a third party at my own expense (or tossed outright) if anything ever goes wrong.

That said, I'm looking to hang a 50" on the wall of my office next spring and will probably get a Vizio LED when the time comes.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to CBLMorphis

to CBLMorphis
If it didn't work right when you first got it...why didn't you return it?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to workablob

MVM

to workablob
quote:
But judging by your experience maybe they have not.
You can't tell from one anecdote - I have had 2 Samsung TVs for 8 or so years - nary an issue with both.

Clark Howard was recently doing a show about extended warranties and noted that the defect rate for LCD TVs is less than 10% across all major and most minor manufacturers and Samsung has one of the lowest.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

Blob

Five years ago, I bought a Samsung 42" Plasma 720p for $850. Pure 1080p was hitting the market at that time for much more (I think it was $1250 for the same model in 1080p). It's still going strong.

$1400 OR $1600 for 1080i approximately 6 years ago would have been a rip-off for a 40" screen.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
said by CBLMorphis:

So based on one bad experience, you jump to another company? I've been pleased with the Samsung Plasma TV, Samsung LED TV, and Samsung monitors I have purchased over the years. Never had a problem with any of them.

The good news is that the Vizio M-Series M1d-A2R (which I believe you bought based on your description) is highly rated.

Perhaps in another 6-7 years we can expect a "never another Vizio ever again" thread from you for a problem that occurred five years ago.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by workablob:

Blob

Five years ago, I bought a Samsung 42" Plasma 720p for $850. Pure 1080p was hitting the market at that time for much more (I think it was $1250 for the same model in 1080p). It's still going strong.

$1400 OR $1600 for 1080i approximately 6 years ago would have been a rip-off for a 40" screen.

That's what I was thinking..

Thanks,

Blob
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to Santa Fe

to Santa Fe
said by Santa Fe:

said by removed:

There is a 40" LED HDTV brand new at Fry's Electronics for $399 here

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
could be a rebadged sammy. good luck

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I don't believe you.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I have never had bad luck with a Samsung screen.

Also they cannot be that bad considering the guts of most of Apple's iDevices and even their displays are at some point before final assembly by Foxconn built by... Samsung.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I have never had any issues with Samsung TV's (knock on wood). My old Samsung 25" CRT from 1998 is still working great and is now at my cousins. I also have 1 Samsung HD CRT and 4 LED-LCD's that are fine.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I was thinking of jumping on this deal, but now I think I'll wait.

Thanks for your review of Samsung. You saved me a few bucks.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Same here - carefully researched my first two HDTVs bought 5 and 2 years ago - both Panny plasmas.

But recently I picked up a no-name "China-tron" 50" LCD for under $300.

How's the picture - just fine for the price - not like I'm going to fuss much for $300 (IIRC, some BF deals were closer to $200 for 50")

Soon they'll be giving them away in cereal boxes.
said by Krisnatharok:

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
Sorry to hear of your problems.
I wouldn't give up to quick with them tho.

I bought a 42" HD TV from them 6 years ago. When it arrived at my house I had one HDMI port that didn't work. I called, and the next day there was a Samsung repair truck at my house. He replaced a complete circuit board, and knock on wood I haven't had any problems for 6 years now. In fact I have since got two more Samsung's and they are both going strong for nearly 4 years now.

I personally think they are a decent company. And the best picture quality out there. Samsung's always stand out on show room floors.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to CBLMorphis

to CBLMorphis
The main problem with Samsung is the people they use for warranty work.. Lowest/cheapest shops who dont care.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
My LED DLP TV from Samsung developed the "white dot" problem after six years. Just perusing some of the forums specific to my television, it is an extremely common problem. The cost to have a repairman fix it was approximately $400. I decided to do it myself which cost $180 just for the parts. I only hope my TV doesn't suffer the "bad caps" problem which Samsung lost a class action lawsuit for because they were only repairing that problem for free during a limited time earlier in the year.
Expand your moderator at work

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis

Re: [Rant] Never Another Samsung TV Ever Again

I'm looking at this thread on a Samsung 40" LCD two years without any issues.
wideglide36
join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to CBLMorphis

to CBLMorphis
I purchased a 52" Samsung LCD TV from Amazon back in 08 and have had to have it repaired twice. First time about a year in and the next time was about 4 years later.

Both times it was an issue with bad caps.

Both repairs were covered under warranty.

The repairs were fairly quick to fix and the picture remains as great as it was the day I got it. Beautiful picture. I think I paid a little over two grand.

I also have a 60" cheaper Panasonic Plasma that doesn't come close to matching the picture quality as the Samsung.

My next big screen will most likely be an LED Samsung.

Of course TV's are usually YMMV from brand to brand.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
You do realize thhat two? or three? panel and Samsung is one of them.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Saying who makes the panels? I do believe its more than that..

Sony
Samsung
Sharp
Sharp China
Panasonic
Pioneer
Toshiba-Matsushita
Hitachi
Fujitsu-Hatachi
LG

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
my bedroom 350 pound sony died. i bought a 32" sammy led. for a bedroom set, they're fine.