spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikeMiny
@wind.ca

MikeMiny

Anon

Safety of 2000mw High Gain USB adapters

Interested in buying one of these to share an internet connection with a friend a couple of houses down.

»www.amazon.com/High-Gain ··· s=2000mw

What would be the safety of this thing if your computer is in your bedroom and this thing in there also. It would be about 3 meters (10 feet) away from computer on the window and maybe 5 meters (15 feet) away from sleeping bed. I can't find any documentation for cancer risks or no cancer risks. I don't even know if this thing is legal in North America because wikipedia says that the mw limit in europe is 100mw.

Here is a quote from: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifi
"Equivalent isotropically radiated power (EIRP) in the EU is limited to 20 dBm (100 mW)."

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

The rule-of-thumb is that biologicals (like humans) should be as far away from active emitters as possible, and limit the length of the exposure to the minimum necessary.

MikeMiny
@wind.ca

MikeMiny

Anon

You make me nervous even though you provided no evidence. My regular Dlink Wifi Router is only a meter (3 feet) away from me at all times, well at least 8 hours a day.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to MikeMiny

Premium Member

to MikeMiny
I wouldn't worry about it too much...you can probably turn it down a bit in the set-up menu.

Just don't put it under your pillow at night.

If you're leaching off your friend, then you might want to consider something with more gain in one direction rather than an omni. A directional antenna will cut down on the noise floor and make for a better link.

MikeMiny
@wind.ca

MikeMiny

Anon

Is your last post talking about my router or the antenna?

My router is set to 50% of full power, it is able to cover the full house at this level. If I drop it lower then that it cuts out in certain places.

Now if you are talking about the antenna, that thing will have more power but I am not sure if it has power settings because I didn't buy it yet.