spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

disconnected

@108.247.170.x

Looking for UB12180 SLA Batteries--Prices Skyrocketed from Six Years Ago

My UPS batteries failed after only thirty months this time. I spent $159 on this set from RefurbUPS in late 2011.
My prior set of batteries were purchased on Amazon for $19 each (X4) for a total under $80 and lasted 45 months.
I'm shopping around for deals like that now, as my APC UPS is no longer protecting due to the failed battery, but I'm finding batteries on the $40 range and anything slightly cheaper has absurd shipping costs. It looks like the cheapest I can find for a set of four UB12180 is around $142, free shipping. Can't find anything under $90 anymore for this set.
Have I overlooked a good source?

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
have you tried batteries plus? I just looked and they do have SLA batteries. you have to plug your ZIP in to see local prices though...

EDIT....just poked around in there. what a ripoff---forget I mentioned them LOL.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to disconnected
those ub12180 batteries are made in china. the Yuasa battery here is made in japan, and it looks like a very good price. »www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-NP18···2-18.htm

disconnected

@108.210.131.x
I wonder how much longer the Yuasa batteries will last, compared with the Universals made in China. One dealer on ebay selling four units, free shipping for $141 "UPG 4 Pack - Universal Battery UB12180 Replacement Rhino Battery" looks enticing, except for the fact that the seller is in Brooklyn.
Yuasa batteries will come out more expensive due to the shipping, but not outragious. In checking contact info for batterysharks, they show Redhook NY. Also close by. I guess there's no more $80 replacements for this rackmount UPS and I'll have to bite the bullet. Will try the Yuasas and see if things last any longer. The battery packs from RefurbUPS were disappointing. My old RM1200 used to go 7 years on a set of batteries. The SmartUPS's go 3.5 years on a set of cheap Chinese batts, typically. Will give the Japanese made batteries a shot at it this time. Thanks for the tip.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
What temperature are the batteries at inside the UPS?

Ideally it should be around 20-25C. Colder than that, battery performance is reduced, warmer than that, and battery longevity starts to take a hit. We always place UPS at the very bottom of racks for this reason, don't want heat from other equipment warming up the UPS.

Also, specifically which model of UPS are you dealing with? Charging method also plays a very big role in the longevity of the batteries. 7+ years isn't uncommon for UPS with advanced charging circuits.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

those ub12180 batteries are made in china. the Yuasa battery here is made in japan, and it looks like a very good price.

The battery in the link is not an Yuasa.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to disconnected
you could try the local Wal-Mart. they look to be nearly identical to motorcycle batteries.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Charging method also plays a very big role in the longevity of the batteries. 7+ years isn't uncommon for UPS with advanced charging circuits.

apc typically floats the batteries at 14.2V.

iknow_t

reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

said by iknow_t:

those ub12180 batteries are made in china. the Yuasa battery here is made in japan, and it looks like a very good price.

The battery in the link is not an Yuasa.

whoops! here is a genuine Yuasa battery. $49.95 with free shipping.
»www.ebay.com/itm/Yuasa-NP18-12-Y···87350785 it seems you pay more for quality batteries..

disconnected

@108.210.130.x
reply to TheMG
I have no way to read the battery temperature as they are inside the unit. I do know that the case gets lukewarm to the touch, hotter than my RM1200, which got seven years out of a set of batts.

Wish there were a schematic available, because I could modify the charge circuit to reduce the rate and run the batts cooler.

This one is an SU3000 from APC, bought from RefurbUPS.

disconnected

@107.194.141.x
The new SLA batteries arrived today in good condition. Before building the battery packs, I tested each battery with a 12V halogen headlamp bulb, just to make sure none were duds.

I removed the old packs and found one 'dud' battery in each pack. Two bad batteries out of four in the unit.

Installed the new packs after assembling the 100A fuses and the connector assemblies. The replace battery light is still on, but if I recall correctly, that goes out after about a day, when the next test cycle occurs.

When I removed the old batteries, I used a laser non contact thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the casings. All were 92°F, just luke warm. No bulging of the cases observed. Just batteries that didn't last long.

disconnected

@107.194.141.x
It seems that the UPS didn't recognize the battery replacement. The alarm went off ( persistent chirping for about a minute) again just a few minutes ago, and the change battery lamp is still on. I don't recall this being the case with the last battery change. It just returned to normal operation.

I'm going to check the battery packs to make sure they read 24V each and re-check the connections. I thought the UPS panel isn't supposed to show full charge when the batteries are removed, but the status display remains unchanged when I unplug them. Furthermore, pressing the Test button does nothing. Pressing and holding it for ten seconds does nothing either.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Maybe you need to reset everything remove the batteries and unplug the AC power for 10 seconds.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to disconnected
What was the manufacturing year of your UPS?
I have a feeling that the battery constant on your unit is out of whack. APC use to offer a dongle key that would connect to the Serial port and fix this problem, not sure if they still do. However it is possible to change the value using a null modem cable and HyperTerminal however you need to know the correct value for your UPS. I suggest contacting them and see if they can help you with your problem.

disconnected

@108.244.237.x
The UPS was purchased, used, from RefurbUPS in 2003. Not sure how old it actually is.

I tried powering it down, but after that, it would no longer power up. I had to unplug everything from it, go find some multi outlet strips and plug the strips directly into the wall socket. Repeated attempts to start the unit were met with no response. This, after a dozen hours since the battery change. And the battery packs read 26.6 volts for each pack.

After I'd gotten all the servers, workstations and studio equipment back up on utility power, about an hour later, I went back and tried to start the UPS. This time it started. And the status lights were normal. Too bad it waited until I'd rewired the entire facility to bypass it. I ended up shutting everything down again and rewiring the UPS back into the system. It seems to be normal now. I guess that that batteries needed a day to be accepted by the unit.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Ah bugger, it must have gone into sleep mode, thinking the batteries had been dead it lock you out. If you have a smart slot management card installed you might want to login and disable the feature. Or try changing it through their Power Chute software.

In a nutshell after a power interruption the UPS remains with load off until a certain amount of time passes or the batteries are charge up a certain amount plus a slight delay. Once the end conditions are met it will turn the load (outlets) back on. The maximum sleep time can be 359 hours, and the battery capacity can be set for 0 to 90 percent. It has it uses; however in your case this feature became a massive hindrance.

Anyways aside from the ridiculous inconvenience I hope the thing is now re-calibrated itself and will give you many years of power protection.

disconnected

@108.244.237.x
Given that this is something I go through every couple or three years, if I don't write down a diary of how the thing behaved, it's easy to forget what the behavior was. I wrote a note on what happened this time and taped it to the front of the battery compartment for next time. So I'll wait 24 hours next time before assuming anything is wrong or needs to be reset.
One thing I learned is that just a couple of hours of downtime is all it takes for a Google AdWords disapproval notice to hit my inbox due to server unavailable when Google hits it.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to disconnected
said by disconnected :

All were 92°F, just luke warm.

While it's not extreme, it's still a little warmer than it should be. According to what I've read and heard, at that temperature you can expect the battery life expectancy to be about half that of a battery that is kept in the ideal temp range of 68-77F.

There must be some truth behind this, as all of our larger UPS at work are remotely temperature-monitored and if temp exceeds 77F we are automatically notified. They're pretty serious about keeping the temperature in the UPS rooms tightly controlled, especially considering the many thousands of dollars worth of batteries.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

APC use to offer a dongle key that would connect to the Serial port and fix this problem, not sure if they still do.

They do, but unless you have a genuine, new, APC battery pack they won't help you.

I've tried, they ask you for the serial number of your battery back. Giving them an old serial number doesn't work either, as they can easily tell it's an old one not a new pack.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Terrible, they use to be such a good company - friendly, helpful, grateful you bought their stuff, and interested in customer feedback.

disconnected

@sbcglobal.net
reply to TheMG
The temperature in the room varies between 64 and 72 degrees, depending on time of year.
My old UPS, an RM1200, used to run the batteries at room temp. The newer rack mounts seem to have zero ventilation, locking the batteries in a nearly air tight steel cage. I also suspect the SU3000 has a more agressive charger rate.

As I was rplacing the battereies this time, I made note of the lack of ventillation slots in the batt compartment. Was thinking about drilling some holes to allow air flow. Even a small air flow would reduce the buildup of heat.

iknow_t

reply to disconnected
maybe this is helpful for you. »www.networkupstools.org/