spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fall50

join:2011-05-02

2 edits

[Speed] Comcast Speed test results (new to this)

I just picked up Motorola SB6141 (white) I have High performance package. Router is Linksys WRT54g V8. Do i need to provide anything else?

Are my speeds acceptable?

Sharper probe results

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.98.51.17.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5911 Kbps.
Downstream: 23441 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 5786 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 22288 Kbps.

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Re: Comcast Speed test results (new to this)

Downstream looks a little capped off. May need to replace that Linksys.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Agree with getting a different router.
To make sure, take the router out and plug straight into the modem, re-test then you will know for sure.

fall50

reply to fall50

How would this wireless router work with my new Motrola SB6141

»www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N···01FWYGJS

Can get it for 15.00 after coupon.

Again I have Peformance HSI by Comcast

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

It's a really basic router, but it should have no issues with your level of service.

Getpro

@comcast.net
reply to fall50

Lots of items factor in the increase of your wireless speed. The kind of WLAN Card you have installed on your computers, the router and the packaged speed of your internet provider. With the original linksys router you have you should be able to receive full 50+mbps download speeds if you have the blast service from Comcast and are connected directly to the Gigabit ethernet ports on the router, but you will not receive the full potential on wireless. I would recommend an Asus router, they are the best in the market right now.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

It's a Linksys WRT54g V8 only which is only "G" & not capable of attaining 50Mbps via wireless.

System
reply to Wayne99021

(topic move) Comcast Speed test results (new to this)

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Equip] Router suggestions for Comcast?

fall50

reply to fall50

Re: Comcast Speed test results (new to this)

said by fall50:

How would this wireless router work with my new Motrola SB6141

Can get it for 15.00 after coupon.

Again I have Peformance HSI by Comcast

Not sure what happened with some of this thread being moved, but can anyone comment whether this router might increase my speeds. I just got the Motrola SB6141 modem for use with Performance HSI with Comcast

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Yes, it will be able to handle your level of service efficiently where you should see your advertised speed and possible above to your actual provisioning which is the overhead.

Please review: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

fall50

Is there something better out there similar in price. About all I know about any of this is a guy at work suggested getting a N Band router to increase speeds. I think the one I linked to is N Band? What about this DD-WRT I keep reading about. Does it have this capability? Would I need it?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by fall50:

Is there something better out there similar in price. About all I know about any of this is a guy at work suggested getting a N Band router to increase speeds. I think the one I linked to is N Band? What about this DD-WRT I keep reading about. Does it have this capability? Would I need it?

There's not really much else you can get for $15-20
Yes, this is a wireless N router. I think you're confusing dual band for N band. It's not dual band however.

I wouldn't bother with DD-WRT unless you really have an idea what you're doing. You shouldn't need it for usual consumer needs.

If you're the type of person who doesn't plan to subscribe to 75+ Mbps internet and just cares about getting online, then that router would be fine for you.

fall50

1 edit

said by Darknessfall:

I think you're confusing dual band for N band. It's not dual band however.

What does dual band get you? Could you kindly give me 1-2 alternative you would recommend?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by fall50:

said by Darknessfall:

I think you're confusing dual band for N band. It's not dual band however.

What does dual band get you? Could you kindly give me 1-2 alternative you would recommend?

Dual band lets you use the 5 GHz band along with the 2.4 GHz(which is common in all routers). 5 GHz is less used(less interference), but it has much shorter range. Routers that work well with 5 GHz are pretty pricy. You also need compatible dual band devices.

My Suggestions -

*Low End(what most people need): $20
*Middle(has bad reviews, but I've had no problems with it on the latest firmware. Kind of cheap both in price and build quality): $30
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···FullInfo
*Middle: $70
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···orebbr=1
*Middle High End: $90
*High End: $200

OR $220

******Only plan to use 2.4 GHz?

Take either: $20

OR

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33122583
(Supposedly has really good range) $60

Take note that these two options do not have gigabit Ethernet. This means that if your internet plan ever goes or you upgrade to 100 Mbps speeds, you'll need to replace it to take advantage. However, your current plan is currently only 29 download/5.8 or so upload.

MANY OF THESE PRICES ARE TIME LIMITED AND WILL BE SOON TO END.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Just to add a note: Dual band is limited to using either 2.4GHz or 5Ghz. Simultaneous Dual band uses both at the same time. I find that a Dual Band without the simultaneous function is kind of pointless.

fall50

what if have cordless phones. Do I need dual band? What circumstances should someone consider dual band?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by fall50:

what if have cordless phones. Do I need dual band? What circumstances should someone consider dual band?

Not really. You only really need dual band if you're not seeing the speed you're looking for on 2.4 GHz due to interference. Dual band is sort of useless if you don't have a problem with speeds on 2.4 GHz.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to fall50

Cordless phones can interfere on either band depending on what band they use.
Simultaneous Dual band is like having 2 separate networks. Your devices have to have the capability to use the 5GHz band in the 1st place.
I have "G" & certain older "N (2.4GHz only)" devices using 2.4GHz band while I have others using the 5GHz band. The devices using the 2.4GHz band do not impact my 5GHz band concerning shared resources.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!