spc
uniqs

fx_woes
@comcast.net

fx_woes to anonome

Anon

to anonome

Re: [Dev Build] Australis is landing in Firefox Nightly

It's really only the addon selection and community which keeps me with Firefox. At least for the moment I plan to stay with Firefox also, but Google (and Mozilla by extension) won't be getting any eyeballs, information, or revenue from me! They may get these things from everybody else in the world but not me. I've removed the Google search engine from Firefox and use something else. I filter all known Google domains, block all their ads, and refuse to use their services.

I strongly encourage everybody else to do the same, whichever browser you use.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by fx_woes :

I've removed the Google search engine from Firefox and use something else. I filter all known Google domains, block all their ads, and refuse to use their services.

It's called "crippling yourself" or "shooting yourself in the foot". Most of us choose not to do that.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

2 recommendations

EdmundGerber

said by howardfine:

It's called "crippling yourself" or "shooting yourself in the foot". Most of us choose not to do that.

Most = sheep, if you blindly grant google carte blanche access. I'd prefer to be in the other group, that values their privacy. But you carry on being a happy, logged consumer.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by EdmundGerber:

if you blindly grant google carte blanche access.

So which services do you blindly grant access to (as if you really think no one else sifts through your stuff)? Or are you saying you use no services like Google's which circles around to what I said: you're crippling yourself or shooting yourself in the foot because you are 1) not using valuable services at all or 2) using inferior services.

I am not the "sheep" who cower in fear over some anonymous poster who said you're supposed to be cowering in fear. Every retail organization and bank knows far more about me and you than Google does.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

said by EdmundGerber:

if you blindly grant google carte blanche access.

So which services do you blindly grant access to (as if you really think no one else sifts through your stuff)? Or are you saying you use no services like Google's which circles around to what I said: you're crippling yourself or shooting yourself in the foot because you are 1) not using valuable services at all or 2) using inferior services.

I am not the "sheep" who cower in fear over some anonymous poster who said you're supposed to be cowering in fear. Every retail organization and bank knows far more about me and you than Google does.

I think Apple and Windows fanboys might just disagree. There's nothing wrong with banning Google search and using Bing or whatever Yahoo calls itself now. They all collect anyway.

About the appearance of Chrome - I don't like it. I want my menu bars where I can find them, and I want tab permissions so I can turn off images per site on the fly. I like the tab bar, and the separate box for searching. I do use Iron and that copied all the crap from Google "Boo, you have no extensions" I only use Iron for one site, and to check if an error in FX is something I haven't allowed in Noscript or an real problem like the site being down.

I do have an Android Phone, I won't use the built in browser, I use Boat. Boat will emulate a desktop. I've seen articles and comments missing in the mobile version of some sites, they are not really censored since they appear on the desktop version. I don't use the phone the way Google envisions anyway. It's a reference library that makes phone calls, texts, and can look up info on the net. The apps can't be installed on a dumb phone. I use Startpage as the search engine - it's bookmarked. I just don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. I use Flickr rather than Picasa, and Wordpress rather than Blogger.

I don't stream video, or music, or play games simply because I'm not interested.
I have nothing personal on the phone except contacts. The phone is rooted and NFC is gone. If I want to pay a bill or bank online, I use a Linux computer. It annoys a lot of the industry just like using Netscape rather than IE bugged everyone years ago, and that's why I do it. I didn't even use Netscape, I bought Opera.

Maps, location, Now, anything social is gone. I used to road rally, I prefer a printed map, I don't like AI yakking at me, and I won't support most of the local brick and mortar since they never carry what I want. So I don't do targetted ads. It's a waste of my time and bandwidth.

Since I have the Android phone, I use Play. I usually search on the computer so I can read every bit of the blurb, comments, etc. easily. Google, in its wisdom, while trying to promote +, hid the logout button behind the box with the message to join +. You had to dork with it to log out. That annoyed me so much that I now will be ornery.

Where I refuse to be a sheep is being unable to pick and choose the services I want. I don't like anyone bundling everything so you have to jump through hoops to make a choice. I don't think bundling services is wrong if a lot like them. But I think those services should be opt-in. Use all or part, just as you wish.

If Google is censoring -
»news.techeye.net/busines ··· -android

I can put the swear words in my dictionary and they will show up as a choice. I don't use autocomplete.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by carpetshark3:

using Bing or whatever Yahoo calls itself now.

Yahoo is called Yahoo and always has been. They use the Bing search engine but that's going to change if it hasn't already, iirc.
said by carpetshark3:

I've seen articles and comments missing in the mobile version of some sites, they are not really censored since they appear on the desktop version.

Some sites present a mobile version where such things are not displayed up front as on the desktop site for space reasons.
said by carpetshark3:

It annoys a lot of the industry just like using Netscape rather than IE bugged everyone years ago

My broker, Scottrade, hated IE with a passion and would advise clients not to use it back then and to use Netscape.