Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

Help me convince my dad its the battery terminals

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
1992 F250 7.3L Diesel

We had the truck for the longest time. There has been too many times I see my dad twisting or pouring cola on the terminals just to get it running. On the last pic, you can even see a small screw he used when he was in a tough situation...

Anyways, I wanted to see that im not the only one who thinks its time to replace the terminals/cables. Looking at rockauto, they have premade cables for $122.

Another thing. He said that this cable/termial is "fixable". Do you really think this thing can be salvaged?

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

Sounds like that new set of cables would make a great Christmas present.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Yep, definitely a nice gift for your old man. The current terminals and cable ends look like they need to go for sure.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

Anyways, I wanted to see that im not the only one who thinks its time to replace the terminals/cables.
Another thing. He said that this cable/termial is "fixable". Do you really think this thing can be salvaged?

No salvage or temporary fixes. Install new battery cables (not temporary battery terminal repair ends) while also cleaning the battery posts and he will wonder why it now starts every day without having to mess under the hood anymore, LOL.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

Easier and better to just get whole new battery cables that come with the proper crimped-on connectors.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to Duramax08

Those universal cable repair ends are pure rubbish.
--

Booost

@69.157.170.x
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

Install new battery cables (not temporary battery terminal repair ends) while also cleaning the battery posts

Even better: Replace the batteries at the same time.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Booost :

said by Doctor Olds:

Install new battery cables (not temporary battery terminal repair ends) while also cleaning the battery posts

Well if money is no object they should replace the alternator and add a secondary alternator to double output reducing recharge time, plus replace the starter with a high torque version. Plus they might as well replace the battery trays if they are corroded or the hold downs are missing.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Duramax08

There is more than the cheap replacement ends available. If you have a actual large truck repair shop around they generally carry high quality replacement ends that are crimped and soldered. Rock Autos replacement cables for that truck is going to be much lighter than the oem supplied ones.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom

This video shows how a guy made his own cable for his truck

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlEUqZSyo4I

He used a military terminal such like this
»www.amazon.com/Pico-Military-Ter···terminal

Im sure this cable would be the best cable and last forever, but it would take too much time measuring all the cables, getting the right connectors and tools etc.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like its time for new cables.

Booost

@69.157.170.x
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Booost :

said by Doctor Olds:

Well if money is no object they should replace the alternator and add a secondary alternator to double output reducing recharge time, plus replace the starter with a high torque version. Plus they might as well replace the battery trays if they are corroded or the hold downs are missing.

Snark is not required. I should 'hey mods' you for that.

Batteries don't last as long as the rest of the vehicle and do need to be replaced periodically. Alternators don't need to be replaced periodically.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

True, but there is no need to spend another $200+ on batteries if the batteries are fine.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Booost

said by Booost :

Snark is not required. I should 'hey mods' you for that.

Be my guest with your passive-aggressive threat.
said by Booost :

Batteries don't last as long as the rest of the vehicle and do need to be replaced periodically. Alternators don't need to be replaced periodically.

Don't see where anyone posted such a silly thing about batteries lasting the life of any vehicle (especially when a poster doesn't know how old the batteries are or if they pass/fail when tested) or that alternators need periodic replacement (unless you get a bad run of cheap rebuilds) ...
--

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Duramax08

You'll want new cables because it's never just the ends that go bad. The corrosion creeps down the length of the wire over time. I'll bet at least the first 6-8 inches of those wires are green with corrosion.

BTW, use a truly sealed battery and you'll never have corrosion again. No acidic gasses = nothing to corrode.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
reply to Duramax08

Wow, that vid needs about 20 minutes of drivel edited OUT of it.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Duramax08

New cables for sure; and looking at the condition of the battery terminals, and that the batteries appear to be from Sept 2008 (although hard to tell from all the crap on them) - new batteries probably wouldn't be a bad idea, either - although most parts places will test them for free; and with some elbow grease the posts may be usable.

But at 5 years old, their are certainly getting up there, age wise.

royphil345
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH
kudos:3

4 edits
reply to Duramax08

I'll go against popular opinion... Put some decent $5 clamp-on terminals on the old cables. That's a budget line Walmart battery with a 3-year warranty. Replace at 5 years for sure, it's tired. You may have to remove and clean or replace the cheap new terminals every time you replace the battery. So what? They're way cheaper than the whole cables you may not need. IMO, the money is better spent on a new battery. I would probably base my final decision on what the terminations at the other ends of the cables look like. To me, that would be the most important factor here. But, definitely tell your dad something needs to be done.... lol.

As horrible as those terminals look, they probably wouldn't need to be messed with all the time if the battery was as strong as it should be.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

said by royphil345:

Put some decent $5 clamp-on terminals on the old cables.

That is a contradiction in terms.
What next? A respectable po#n star?

Those clamp-on ends will fail, and there is a rather good chance that you won't be in a convenient place when they do.
--

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH

3 edits

said by Cho Baka:

said by royphil345:

Put some decent $5 clamp-on terminals on the old cables.

That is a contradiction in terms.
What next? A respectable po#n star?

Those clamp-on ends will fail, and there is a rather good chance that you won't be in a convenient place when they do.

I've had them on cars and they were never an issue. You can even spend $10 and get some nice, solid brass ones. Those clamp REALLY tight. Like I said, you may have to take them apart and clean them or replace them every 5 years or so when you replace the battery. Big deal... Is the rest of this truck going to last as long as the $100.00 plus new cables? The crusher will go yum yum, I loves new parts.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

A Texas based truck with a diesel engine? At 21 years old it's not even halfway done with it's potential lifespan. The only thing that kills diesel trucks here is they rust apart long before the engine dies. That's isn't going to happen in Texas.

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH

4 edits

said by Lurch77:

A Texas based truck with a diesel engine? At 21 years old it's not even halfway done with it's potential lifespan. The only thing that kills diesel trucks here is they rust apart long before the engine dies. That's isn't going to happen in Texas.

Well, obviously it could use new cables. I just got the feeling the owner didn't want to spend much and wasn't even considering replacing the battery, which I guarantee is pretty much toast after 5 years and probably more to blame for his issues than the terminals. I buy those batteries and they last about exactly 5 years before they'll just barely start a vehicle. So, I offered the least expensive solution, which I knew would be unpopular. I had a feeling the guy only wanted to spend $5 on the clamp-on terminals and replacing both the entire cables and the battery would give him sticker shock. Maybe he could do the battery and terminals now and replace the entire cables at a later date...

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

We know the op's dad is a bit on the cheap side. That's why a couple of us recommended buying the parts as a gift instead.

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH

3 edits

Ah... lol

Christmas... battery and temporary terminals... Birthday... cables?

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Lurch77

Something tells me this one is well beyond its half life mark. The non turbo 7.3 is a fuel pig and a half but will indeed last forever. Its the transmission that sux in that truck and is salty as hell to replace. Engine does take a lot of juice to turn over adding to your argument for new cables.

goodstuffz

@optonline.net
reply to royphil345

said by royphil345:

I've had them on cars and they were never an issue.

Cars, is the key word here, cars with maybe 500CCA battery turning over a gas motor at 200psi of compression that starts right up vs dual at least likely 750 CCA's (then again being texas you could get away with a little less juice then up in the NE where I am) powering glow plugs and turning over a 600psi compression engine.

You are drawing WAY more juice, and any bad connection is going to just heat up very fast, thus making that connection even worse. You really want that whole system to be moving current nicely on high draw things like diesel motors.

While I would still go with a good cable I could see skimping on a car again due to the low power draw (relative to a diesel)

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH

4 edits

said by goodstuffz :

said by royphil345:

I've had them on cars and they were never an issue.

Cars, is the key word here, cars with maybe 500CCA battery turning over a gas motor at 200psi of compression that starts right up vs dual at least likely 750 CCA's (then again being texas you could get away with a little less juice then up in the NE where I am) powering glow plugs and turning over a 600psi compression engine.

You are drawing WAY more juice, and any bad connection is going to just heat up very fast, thus making that connection even worse. You really want that whole system to be moving current nicely on high draw things like diesel motors.

While I would still go with a good cable I could see skimping on a car again due to the low power draw (relative to a diesel)

That also explains why a 5-year old Walmart battery isn't going to cut it. I think that's the biggest problem here and it caused him to roach the terminals by messing with them, overtightening them and pouring cola on them too often, trying to get that extra amp. In one of the photos, the terminals actually look fine. A little cleaning of the contact patch and a new battery would have done the trick. In the other photos, they've been mangled and there's not much left of them. I still say if he gets a new battery and any kind of decent terminals, he'll very likely be good to go another 5 years. No, they wouldn't be completely maintenance-free like crimped or soldered terminals. But, they'd be fine for a good while.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

Certainly better than what he has now. Its all on whatchuwannado. He could also buy the cheapies and solder them on as well. At that point in the trucks life i would be cheaping out. I just took a truck just like that to the junk yard not long ago. Dam thing turned into a mechanical nightmare tranny wise. The main thing that did it in tho was the 7 miles to the gallon of fuel. I did get a little over 700 in scrap price tho. Amazing how the turbo changed that 7.3.