spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zy1
@24.114.83.x

zy1

Anon

[Home Phone] lines crossed?!?

For the past 2 days we havnt had a home phone, there is no dial tone when you pick up the phone . We have a rogers tech coming out tomorrow to look at everything. Today I was going to call my home phone to check the messages and another lady picked up said im calling her. Turns out that she lives 2 doors down on my floor and last week she had no home phone either, now when she calls out it shows our phone number. Anyone know what is going on? We called rogers and let them know what we found out and said they are going to do some internal investigation with other departments. I just want to know how and whats going on here!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Unsure how that could happen, is your phone not modem based?

zyli
@24.114.83.x

zyli

Anon

No my phone is modem based, so simmilar to VOIP

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

I really have no idea then, since crossing lines shouldn't do anything. Looks like an issue at their office. That is so odd.
I had Rogers Home Phone, but poor quality forced me to voip.ms, why pay full price for crappy service, right?

zy1
@24.114.83.x

zy1

Anon

Would have switched years ago but its my parents phone so not my choice
snorlax14
join:2007-11-20
Thornhill, ON

snorlax14 to zy1

to zy1
Rogers "lines" can't be crossed. There is a common cable going to all units in a neighbourhood. Each modem's unique address is put into Rogers computers and is associated with your phone number. When a call comes in or goes out, Rogers computers routes the call to that unique address and identifies the outgoing call with the phone number associated with that unique address. If you have no dial tone somehow your unique address has been purged from Rogers computers and your neighbour's modem has been assigned your phone number. Rogers needs to correct the unique addresses in their computers to put this right.

JMarkham
@rogers.com

JMarkham

Anon

Do you live in an apartment building with an old style 'buzzer' to let people into the building? If so there is a possibility of your rogers line being hooked into the buildings phone system so the buzzer rings on your line. Someone could have crossed the lines up down there.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to zyli

Premium Member

to zyli
said by zyli :

No my phone is modem based, so simmilar to VOIP

Is the modem in your suite/apartment, with your phone plugged directly into it; or is it wired into the building wiring (either in the main phone room, or within your apartment) perhaps for an enter-phone/door buzzer type devices?

Sounds like crossed pairs, or flipped jumpers, but that should only be possible if the digital voice adapter (the voice 'modem') is wired into the building system...

Either way, let us know what they find - it's an interesting sounding problem!