Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Time Capsule Power

Is it Ok, Safe, non-destructive, reliable, to plug a USB powered USB drive into a Time Capsule? I have used several of these Lacie Drives on my Macs, they are fast and run cool. I want to hang one onto a new TC, but don't want to harm the TC.

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

That's one of the two uses for the USB port. Drives, printers and USB hubs are the only things you can connect to it. A self-powered USB drive is perfectly fine. Just make sure that they have a GUID partition and formatted HFS+ or they won't show up in Finder.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
reply to TamaraB

I just hooked a 3TB Seagate drive that I got for $75 to the port (after copying everyone on my Mac to it), and both partitions on the drive show up when I navigate to the TC. Seems to work pretty well!

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to TamaraB

I think hes asking specifically about USB bus-powered drives. Personally I dont see a problem, since the TC is externally powered.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

Ah oops. I was thinking self-powered. Yes USB powered will work. But only if it doesn't require high power.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium

said by kitsune:

Ah oops. I was thinking self-powered. Yes USB powered will work. But only if it doesn't require high power.

All else fails, a powered usb hub does work on the TC.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by acadiel:

All else fails, a powered usb hub does work on the TC.

Yes. What I need to know is how much power can TC's USB port safely and reliably supply. There are no specs I can find. I know how much current my drives draw, but not what the limits of the TC are.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

It meets USB standards (5V with at least 500mA per port). What else do you need to know?

Edit: Seems like Apple's official stance is to use alternative power for the USB Hard drive. Maybe get a powered hub?
»support.apple.com/kb/HT2421?viewlocale=en_US
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium

said by Thinkdiff:

It meets USB standards (5V with at least 500mA per port). What else do you need to know?

Edit: Seems like Apple's official stance is to use alternative power for the USB Hard drive. Maybe get a powered hub?
»support.apple.com/kb/HT2421?viewlocale=en_US

To be USB compliant, it would have to give at least 500mA, though. I'm guessing that they probably do meet that (minimum), but something that draws power might take more than 500mA, which the unit is not spec'd for. Thus, the self-powered mantra. I used to have a MagicJack hanging off of mine with a USB-power only cable (no data lines connected), and a short 1' cord to plug into the LAN port on the back with no issues.