pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

[Electrical] Aligning a thermostat on a wall without replacing drywall

Hello all!

Recently I purchased some new thermostats, which dont't align with the light switch below it. Neither of the mounting holes on the back (there's two sets) line up with the electrical box behind.

See: »dl.dropboxusercontent.co ··· 0058.jpg

Based on my guess work (there's room between the drywall and the electrical box) to install some kind of brackets to the electrical box that would allow me to align the thermostat without having to redo my drywall.

A search of my local home improvement store hasn't come up with anything. Am I going to be stuck with having to redo the drywall or leave it alone? I'm slightly OCD. It's a regular light switch style box.

Thanks in advance

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Can you drill another set of holes in the mounting bracket which would allow it to line up?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

5 recommendations

nunya to pfak

MVM

to pfak
»counsellingbc.com/

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to pfak

Premium Member

to pfak
Could you just put some plastic anchors into the drywall next to the electrical box to mount the thermostat so it aligns with the light switch? Thermostat are low-voltage and really don't even require an electrical box for installation.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to pfak

Premium Member

to pfak
Odd, it is rare that an actual electrical box was installed for your thermostat given it is a low voltage device, furthermore having a large opening behind a thermostat is not recommended as drafts can affect the operation and accuracy of the thermostat.

I would cover the existing box with a section of drywall, leave a small hole in this panel and pass the wire through. Once the wall is patched, sanded and painted you can install the thermostat with drywall anchors in the position you want.

(I would also get a different thermostat, not a fan of that model)

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Can you drill another set of holes in the mounting bracket which would allow it to line up?

I was thinking of doing this, but they are threaded holes on the electrical box - and additionally I'm concerned about drilling into wires behind it.
said by Msradell:

Could you just put some plastic anchors into the drywall next to the electrical box to mount the thermostat so it aligns with the light switch? Thermostat are low-voltage and really don't even require an electrical box for installation.

It's a 240V in-line thermostat for baseboard heaters, which is why there's an electrical box
said by Thane_Bitter:

(I would also get a different thermostat, not a fan of that model)

Why? Out of curiosity, I didn't see much other choice:

»www.homedepot.ca/product ··· t/903033

Booost
@69.157.170.x

Booost to Thane_Bitter

Anon

to Thane_Bitter
Looks like a perfectly fine thermostat to me. Other than the actual housing, it's probably a 240V version of the one I have.

Honeywell bought MagicStat years ago, so the temperature regulation of their thermostats works well.

MrLana
@rr.com

MrLana to pfak

Anon

to pfak
Please, DO NOT attempt to alter the location of this thermostat.

Thermostat's are designed to operate without reference to switches, doorways, floor, dog, coffee table, cat litter box, etc., etc,. etc.

Think of the children

dark_star
join:2003-11-14
Louisville

dark_star to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

Am I going to be stuck with having to redo the drywall or leave it alone? I'm slightly OCD.

Well there's your problem. You need to be come fully OCD. Then you will be eager to replace the entire wall.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to pfak

Premium Member

to pfak
More of a personal preference thing, however if you have just upgraded from a mechanical type thermostat you will find this one performs infinitely better.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

More of a personal preference thing, however if you have just upgraded from a mechanical type thermostat you will find this one performs infinitely better.

Oh yeah! It's fantastic. It doesn't go "full blast" to "off" and actually keeps the temperature I have set.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by pfak:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Oh yeah! It's fantastic. It doesn't go "full blast" to "off" and actually keeps the temperature I have set.

Is this a Temperature Controller that modulates the heater instead of just on and off to maintain a setpoint? If it's just on and off it goes from cold to full on (full blast) to off.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Is this a Temperature Controller that modulates the heater instead of just on and off to maintain a setpoint? If it's just on and off it goes from cold to full on (full blast) to off.

Yes,, similar to the Honeywell/Aube. If you look at the lines to the left of the temp, they change according to the current to the heater.

I have 2 of the Aubes, they work very well.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

It still appears to be an On/Off device rather than a modulating controller although more accurate and versatile with the ability to program that a mechanical device does not have.

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
This Aube by Honeywell high-capacity electronic heating thermostat with TRIAC switching combines unbeatable accuracy and silent operation. TRIAC switching is 100-Percent silent - making it ideal for bedrooms has unsurpassed temperature control. Ultimate temperature control - the most accurate type of thermostat on the market (± 0.15-Degree Celsius and 0.27-Degree Fahrenheit). On-screen heating power indicator gives at-a-glance verification of power being used. 2-Wire non-polarized connection means fast, hassle-free installation. 7-day Programming provides separate Programming options for each day of the week (4 periods per day); pre-programmed or personalized schedule. Early Start function ensures programmed temperature is reached by the programmed time
Product Description
This high-capacity TRIACThermostat with a remote input combines unbeatable accuracy and silent operation.ThisThermostat offers great flexibility, allowing up to four different settings to be programmed for each day ofThe week. Other features include a microprocessor-optimized temperature control, an on-screen heating command indicator for at-a-glance verification of power being sent, and an early start function to insureThe desired temperature is reached atThe desired time.The LCD display permits either 12 or 24 hour format, and temperature in either Fahrenheit or Celsius. For two wire single pole installations. Rating: 4,000 watts @ 240 VAC, 16.7A resistive, 60 Hz Rating: 2,000 watts @ 120 VAC, 16.7A resistive, 60 Hz Dimensions: 4.9" x 5.0" x 1.5" Accuracy: +/-0.27 degrees Fahrenheit (0.15 deg. C)

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Yes, your right Jack, my old memory is not good. It's modulating the time not the current. What you get though, is that the heater is rarely on full blast.

From my Aube
TEMPERATURE CONTROL
Microprocessor-optimized PIA
Heating cycles: 15 seconds
Accuracy: ± 0.15ºC / 0.27 ºF

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

From the product description it appears to be a very good temperature control device.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

It still appears to be an On/Off device rather than a modulating controller although more accurate and versatile with the ability to program that a mechanical device does not have.

My understanding is that it cycles the power to keep a certain load. Like, if it's near the set temperature in my room - I can actually touch the baseboard heater.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Edit: removed confusing