Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kevin79

join:2000-01-26
Zeeland, MI

1 edit

[Equip] Suggestions for DOCSIS 3.0 modem

I was told that I should get a new modem since mine is an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem and is starting to have issues. I found two on Amazon that aren't too expensive and are on the "approved" list by Comcast. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Are they good?

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB···le+modem

»www.amazon.com/Linksys-DOCSIS-Ca···le+modem

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Re: Suggestions for DOCSIS 3.0 modem

said by kevin79:

I was told that I should get a new modem since mine is an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem and is starting to have issues. I found two on Amazon that aren't too expensive and are on the "approved" list by Comcast. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Are they good?

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB···le+modem

»www.amazon.com/Linksys-DOCSIS-Ca···le+modem

Get the DPC3008 before that price is up. That's a really good deal. The SB6141 is better, but pricier. There's also the Zoom 5341J, but it's currently $73. The DPC3008 is a lot cheaper than that and for just a couple dollars more you could get the SB6141.

I had the DPC3008 for a year without issues. My own complaint is the limited logs(there are none!) and the limited DOCSIS information provided by it's modem page.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to kevin79

said by Darknessfall:

Get the DPC3008 before that price is up. That's a really good deal. The SB6141 is better, but pricier. There's also the Zoom 5341J, but it's currently $73. The DPC3008 is a lot cheaper than that and for just a couple dollars more you could get the SB6141.

I had the DPC3008 for a year without issues. My own complaint is the limited logs(There are none!) and the limited DOCSIS information provided by it's modem page.

Just know that there is a minor issue with the DPC3008 right now: »[Speed] DPC 3008 Bonding issues....

I have the Moto SB6121 myself and it's been working fine for me, however, most people on this forum feel the Zoom 5341J gives the best bang for the buck right now: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···063K4NN6

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

telcodad, thank you for being the voice of us all...

NOT!

I prefer the Cisco/Linksys DPC-3008 and I have had NO bonding issues, like the majority of other Owners.

Oh, and that "minor issue" has been MORE than resolved, per the thread YOU linked to.

But, thanks.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Bink63:

telcodad, thank you for being the voice of us all...

NOT!

Sorry, I should have said "many" people instead of "most."

said by Bink63:

I prefer the Cisco/Linksys DPC-3008 and I have had NO bonding issues, like the majority of other Owners.

Oh, and that "minor issue" has been MORE than resolved, per the thread YOU linked to.

I saw that that thread was "un-stickied" last week, but there was nothing said about a firmware update that fixed the bonding issue that some people had with it, unless the problem has been temporarily resolved via NetDog See Profile's statement "we do have a way to correct it for issue modems right now."

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

I wouldn't bother with the bonding issue. It's probably only occurring with very few DPC3008s.

I would either get the DPC3008 for that super low price or the SB6141. The Zoom is too high compared to the DPC and too close to the SB6141's price to be worth it.

Plus, the DPC3008 is cheaper than the SB6121 which is only 4x4.

kevin79

join:2000-01-26
Zeeland, MI
reply to kevin79

Re: [Equip] Suggestions for DOCSIS 3.0 modem

Thanks everyone. I just purchased the DPC3008-CC. Hopefully it works well!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Best of luck with it ! All I know is that I've had the Zoom 5341J for two years now and it plays very nice with the CC system. Best modem I've ever had and I've had many !

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to kevin79

I love the 5341J I bought, rock solid with nary a hiccup. Worth every penny.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by fuziwuzi:

I love the 5341J I bought, rock solid with nary a hiccup. Worth every penny.

I wonder if the gateway version(5352) is as reliable in the modem department as the 5341J.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

I've always preferred a separate modem and router. I tend to dislike combination devices. I use a Linksys/Cisco E3000 router running TomatoUSB/Shibby along with the Zoom 5341J. Never a problem.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

I wonder if the gateway version(5352) is as reliable in the modem department as the 5341J.

I don't know if there are any modem hardware differences between them, but I did come across this page on the Comcast Support site about an IPv6 issue with the Zoom 5352 that does not appear to affect the Zoom 5341J:

Known Issue with Zoom Cable Modem Model 5352 and Comcast Service - Blinking ONLINE Light
Updated on October 18, 2013
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···m-issue/

That issue sounds similar to the IPv6 one with the Moto SBG6580 gateway (»[Equip] SBG6580 "Access Denied"), and that page does indeed state:
quote:
The connectivity issue is related to IPv6 deployment in some Comcast service areas and only affects one Zoom model, Model 5352, and some modems/routers of other brands supporting IPv6. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve the issue.
EDIT: Also found this notice of the issue on Zoom's website: »zoomtel.zendesk.com/entries/2543···E-light-

Darknessfall
Premium

1 recommendation

I saw that a few days ago on the Zoom site. I didn't really read it though. Nice to know that it's ipv6 related.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to kevin79

Feel free to check out the full list of recommended modems at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/
--
JL
Comcast

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

Jason:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a triple-play package. Would I be able to purchase an ARRIS TM722G or TM822G eMTA at Best Buy or from Amazon?

Last I heard, there were some issues in doing that: »Arris TM822G modem - Available at some Comcast stores

EDIT: Also see: »Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

said by telcodad:

Jason:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a triple-play package. Would I be able to purchase an ARRIS TM722G or TM822G eMTA at Best Buy or from Amazon?

Last I heard, there were some issues in doing that: »Arris TM822G modem - Available at some Comcast stores

When I went to the Comcast office last week the woman who helped me said that Best Buy would start selling eMTA's again in January. I'm assuming it'll be the TM822G this time. From what I can tell purchasing from Amazon may become a huge headache for you in getting it activated.

GusHerb94

Chicago, IL
reply to kevin79

I just purchased the DPC-3008 for our business account from Amazon for the 60 dollars mentioned. Set it up yesterday and all seems to work fine. There's been a leased DPC-3008 active on another account of ours for over a year now and has been stable.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to GusHerb94

said by GusHerb94:

said by telcodad:

Jason:

When I went to the Comcast office last week the woman who helped me said that Best Buy would start selling eMTA's again in January. I'm assuming it'll be the TM822G this time. From what I can tell purchasing from Amazon may become a huge headache for you in getting it activated.

Found a more recent thread regarding purchasing eMTAs: »New TM722G or TM822G?

Also, back in May, IowaCowboy See Profile had found some ARRIS TM722Gs in Xfinity packaging at the Best Buy near him: »[CDV] They're back

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

From a thread over on the Comcast TV forum: »Re: Triple Play cheaper than Double Play

said by dishrich:

Why don't you just buy your own EMTA (like I did) & then you won't have any "issues" with trying to have them provision a non-phone modem on an trip-play account...plus you will have a (working) landline for emergencies.

said by dm88 :

I wasn't aware you could buy one of those. What type do you have and how much do they cost?

said by dishrich:

You have to purchase it from a Best Buy; not all have them though. I have the Arris TM722G & it was $150...but there is probably a newer one out now.
Since we have no idea where you're at, go here & see if you have one in your area.

»www.comcast.com/digitalvoicemodem

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to telcodad

I use Comcast starter business, and am not certain if the Zoom 5341J is a supported modem. My service is dynamic IP. It seems to have great reviews on Amazon, but if business won't provision it, I can't buy one to compare.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by pandora:

I use Comcast starter business, and am not certain if the Zoom 5341J is a supported modem. My service is dynamic IP. It seems to have great reviews on Amazon, but if business won't provision it, I can't buy one to compare.

Yeah, the only non-router models currently approved for (Dynamic IP) business use are the Cisco DPC3008 and Motorola SB6120, SB6121 and SB6141 modems.

GusHerb94

Chicago, IL
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

I would get the 6141, if the DPC3008 isn't still on sale. It would be nice if the 5341J were approved, but it's not for whatever reason.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

From a thread over on the Comcast TV forum: »Re: Triple Play cheaper than Double Play

said by dishrich:

Why don't you just buy your own EMTA (like I did) & then you won't have any "issues" with trying to have them provision a non-phone modem on an trip-play account...plus you will have a (working) landline for emergencies.

said by dm88 :

I wasn't aware you could buy one of those. What type do you have and how much do they cost?

said by dishrich:

You have to purchase it from a Best Buy; not all have them though. I have the Arris TM722G & it was $150...but there is probably a newer one out now.
Since we have no idea where you're at, go here & see if you have one in your area.

»www.comcast.com/digitalvoicemodem

FYI- I was able to get an ARRIS TM822G eMTA that I purchased from Amazon provisioned and working on Comcast's system here in NJ today: »[Equip] Need advice on getting a new eMTA

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to pandora

Nope, it's not officially supported. Some people have been able to get it to work via the walled garden, but I wasn't able to.

I'm currently using a 6141 on business and it's been working very well. The DPC3008 is a recent addition and has been quite cheap as of late.
--
KI6RIT

Neverhomemom

join:2013-12-03
Lady Lake, FL
reply to kevin79

My modem appears to have fried its ethernet port - when we hardwired it to a computer it says nothing is connected. It was working last night until I hit "activate" on my self-install kit... I'm not sure what happened, but the guy this morning said that the modem and cable box were swapped and on the wrong ports. I'm not sure if that is what zapped it or not.

5 hours and 42 minutes later on the phone, and then an hour out to the stupid location I have a rental modem that works.

BUT, i do not want to use it with their wifi... but it is conflicting majorly with my router setup.

UGH.

Not excited about spending another $65-80 on a modem - but i'm so not up to dealing with them putting it in bridge mode and any hassles that might entail either.

I'm just beyond over this whole fiasco that has been this change in service.

So basically, I just need the cheapest modem that will support Blast (which they think I really have this time around....). I'd say my "wet string" is of marginal quality - it is above ground, so if that factors into choosing let me know.

Overall, i'd tired and drained and need to sort this out... tomorrow I guess. Except I work. Gee, today was a lovely day off....