share rss forum feed

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online

app to track a phone?

My uncle runs a small business and he provides Android cell phones to some of his workers. He wants to be able to track the location of his workers via GPS. Is there a known service/app for this? I of course tried Googling but couldnt find anything that sounded solid and reliable. Price of app and/or monthly premiums are not a problem.

Thanks!

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1

»encrypted.google.com/search?q=an···oe=utf-8

FIB

join:2013-10-27
Rockford, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Moropo

Why not just use avast? The basic edition is free, though only for home use, har har har. Besides giving antivirus protection, it lets you silently pull the GPS coords, cell tower it's attached to, take a picture, make the phone 'scream' (even on silent), alert you of a SIM card change (for GSM), and, most importantly IMO, it can be injected into the ROM of an unlocked phone. This means that even if someone looses/steals the phone and tries a factory reset, Avast will persist and allow you to continue tracking the phone.

Most criminals will try the above, but are too stupid or lazy to actually flash a new ROM onto a stolen phone.

Now, as to not sound like a fanboy here, Lookout will also give you really good GPS tracking/antivirus/text message/contacts/photo backup, though it can't be integrated with the phone and is not as covert last I checked.

Both programs have a paid version with many more features that I've never been too appeased by.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Moropo

»www.life360.com/

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Moropo

Google has device tracking built in. Have each phone registered to the same google account and you can see what they're all up to with Google+ Locations. Not to mention you can also have daily historical data on where each phone travelled in a day.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

The Google Device Manager can track a phone but only for the person who's phone the Google account is registered under. So the OP's father would need to have access to each of the Google users Google account for the person using the phone.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

If the OP's dad owns the business and owns the phones, there's no reason he can't set the phones up all under the same Google account. I've done it before for small businesses.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

said by shaner:

If the OP's dad owns the business and owns the phones, there's no reason he can't set the phones up all under the same Google account. I've done it before for small businesses.

The issue there is then that each and every employee has access to the same Google account. Also, I'm not sure Google Device Manger will track independent multiple phones on one account.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

Google apps for business takes care of it. $5/month and you're good.

For just regular tracking, I have yet to see a device limit on a single Google account. Apple limits you to 5 phones on the same iTunes account; I haven't run into the same restriction on Google.

»support.google.com/a/users/answe···72?hl=en

Lookout Mobile is pretty good as well for $5/month. I prefer Google because it gives you access to shared cloud support and other goodies for the same price.

»www.lookout.com/cell-phone-tracker

--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

join:2013-11-27
australia
reply to Moropo

If your uncle have corporate connection then you can also contact to service providers. They will help you.

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online
reply to Moropo

Thanks for the suggestions.

Avast and Google business apps look good. Avast's ability to be baked into the ROM and hence persist a factory reset sounds cool.

A major limitation I see is the need for gps location to be turned on. Is there a way to force it to be on with Google business apps or Avast?

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Moropo

Android Device Manager from Google is the answer. You also do have to have a central account on the phone, but of course android phones support multiple Google accounts.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
reply to Moropo

Lookout

»www.lookout.com/

egood71
You Gotta Love It
Premium