share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Over the counter microwave options

Click for full size
Click for full size
So our microwave stopped heating food (microwave is to the left in the 1st pic). My wife (who wasn't married to me at the time) bought it for me in 2003. 10 years, it had a good run. Looks like the magnetron died because it will click on but not emit microwaves.

So it's time for a new one!

I want to put an over the range microwave, probably with convection too. But our cabinets are shown in the pic. Came with the house basically. The current blower is a nutone something or the other I think. I'm not in love with it, and the microwave will act as the new blower I guess. There is a dedicated 20A circuit for it so I believe electrical is covered.

So is this doable? Would I have to modify the cabinets, or perhaps just remove the old blower and put the new microwave below and hook it into the vent?

Excuse the messy kitchen but we have 3 year old triplets and are constantly preparing food and drink for them.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

2 edits
Click for full size
downloadFridgidare o···wave.pdf 1,258,845 bytes
Mounting instructions
Click for full size
Basic mounting idea
What's the height between the bottom of the adjacent cabinet and the bottom of the cablinet (over the fan unit) over the stove? Also what is the width and depth?

Basically you need a "over-the-range" microwave that fits those dimensions.

Most have a mounting plate that attaches to the back wall and a couple of bolts which mount to the cabinet above. Frequently the microwave will stick out a couple inches past the cabinet and vent up the face of the cabinet above. It could also be flush with the cabinet and vent straight out or at an upward angle. They will also connect to the vent pipe if that's available.

See the attached instructions for a better idea of what's needed. It should be doable in your situation.
--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to fifty nine
The dimensions are 12"x30"x12" (hwd)

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
Click for full size
Measure like the pic.

Also the vent hood would be coming out, so you'd measure to the bottom of the cabinet where the top of it was attached.

I think it's more than 12" once the vent hood is removed, more like 18-20". A bit hard to tell with the decorative wood facade and rail around it.
--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to fifty nine
If you look at the instructions for the unit that was provided earlier the dimension that is critical is the dimension from the top of the stove to the bottom of the cabinet above the stove. The 30 inch width and 12 inch depth you have a very standard.

It looks like even if you don't have enough room you could easily raise it another 4 or 5 inches by removing that 1st band of wood around your existing hood. It looks like your existing hood vents to the outside which is a good thing. The over the stove microwaves have the option to vent either outside or back into the room. The actual installation is quite easy however.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

What's the height between the bottom of the adjacent cabinet and the bottom of the cablinet (over the fan unit) over the stove? Also what is the width and depth?

So here are the full dimensions:

counter top to bottom of hood enclosure - 30 inches
HxWxD of microwave shaped space at the bottom of the cabinet - 12x30x12 inches

So it definitely looks like this was made for a microwave and it will fit the dimensions in your instructions exactly.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

It looks like even if you don't have enough room you could easily raise it another 4 or 5 inches by removing that 1st band of wood around your existing hood. It looks like your existing hood vents to the outside which is a good thing. The over the stove microwaves have the option to vent either outside or back into the room. The actual installation is quite easy however.

That's what I'm thinking, but I will lose that decorative trim piece. However, I'm not in love with it and my wife wants a full kitchen remodel in a few years anyway. That said we need a microwave and I want an over the range badly. It would free up much needed counter space and be on its own dedicated electrical.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

Measure like the pic.

Also the vent hood would be coming out, so you'd measure to the bottom of the cabinet where the top of it was attached.

I think it's more than 12" once the vent hood is removed, more like 18-20". A bit hard to tell with the decorative wood facade and rail around it.

I just did and it's exactly like that pic. I can't remove the board as it's attached to the cabinet. But it looks like I have enough clearance. Now the only other thing is I'll have to drill the tile but that will be no big deal. My wife is lamenting the loss of that decorative tile on the backsplash though.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to fifty nine
You're going to have to have some cabinet work done.

»www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeApp···he-Range

Over the range with convection too.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to fifty nine
Just an FYI: we did the over-the-counter-with-convection microwave thing about 10 years ago ourselves, and after using it maybe two or three times tops we decided that the convection part was a waste of money. We use the microwave all the time but never the convection anymore, so unless you aren't paying much for that (or unless you know in advance that you are going to use it), then you might want to save your money here.

Others may disagree, of course. YMMV.