spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Guysakar
@bhn.net

Guysakar

Anon

Static IP

Hello, I am new to VPN's and not a tech guy. Here is my situation. I travel a lot and need to work when travelling. My work requires a secure network.

2 questions:

If i connect at a public hot spot (coffee shop, etc...) and use a VPN, would that be safe and secure?

2: Just so I don't raise eyebrows about constantly accessing work via different locations all the time, could I get a VPN with a static IP address and have it appear that I am accessing from the same location, as I travel from state to state? Or would doing this slow my speeds down as a travel about the country?

I have used a dynamic VPN before and if I connect to a network that is far away, the speeds are always slow. So say I get a static IP that is in Jacksonville, FL and I travel to California, will my speeds be slower as if I was using a dynamic and connecting to a server far away?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

eibgrad
join:2010-03-15
united state

1 recommendation

eibgrad

Here's the part I don't get. Using a third party VPN server only provides security from you to the VPN provider. But the VPN provider can still see your traffic, and so could anyone else once they drop it back on the public internet.

So what's the point? The only protection you're getting is LOCAL (i.e., open wifi hotspot). It certainly helps. But most every employer I've ever dealt w/ required you used *their* VPN server so the entire connection, end to end, was secured.

That aside, if all you really need is local wifi security, well heck, you could connect back to your own home network and its VPN server. And then avoid the cost of a third party, could get a static IP from your own ISP, etc.

As far as public VPN services, I suppose it’s possible they could provide a static IP, but I don’t know of anyone specifically. Dynamic vs. static IP has no effect on your speed. And yes, to some degree, the farther you are from the remote server, the slower the connection. That’s mostly because it involves more routing, so more chance in hitting bottlenecks, being rerouted, drop packets, etc. There’s just more “machinery” involved.

Guysakar
@bhn.net

Guysakar

Anon

Thanks for the reply. You confirmed what I was suspicious of.

If I connect back to my own network, will the distance affect my speed? Say my network is in Florida and I am in New York, will my speed slow?

If the speed issue isn't an issue, that really does sound like the perfect solution. I'm off to research how difficult it is to set this up and what all I need.

Thanks again.

eibgrad
united state

1 recommendation

eibgrad to Guysakar

to Guysakar
The biggest problem in terms of performance when using your own VPN server is that most home networks have much more limited upload bandwidth than download. And ultimately the upload bandwidth limits your download bandwidth wrt the vpn client.

If you use a public VPN server, then presumably they could offer better performance as a business than you could expect as a home user. But you’re introducing a third party to the connection, and so you have to keep that in mind. And whether that performance difference is significant depends on what you’re doing. Retrieving email is a lot less demanding than remote desktop or streaming videos.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Guysakar

MVM

to Guysakar
said by Guysakar :

If i connect at a public hot spot (coffee shop, etc...) and use a VPN, would that be safe and secure?

Generally speaking, yes. The long and technical response is "depends how it's set up."
said by Guysakar :

2: Just so I don't raise eyebrows about constantly accessing work via different locations all the time, could I get a VPN with a static IP address and have it appear that I am accessing from the same location, as I travel from state to state? Or would doing this slow my speeds down as a travel about the country?

It's called a "full tunnel VPN," and as eibgrad See Profile alluded to corporate VPNs are set up this
way. The question is "is there a particular reason why you yourself need the VPN setup up this way?"

Otherwise, what eibgrad See Profile 's said so far... couldn't've said it better myself

Regards

Guysakar
@bhn.net

Guysakar

Anon

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

Brighthouse offers a 90 down 10 upload. I wonder if 10 upload would be sufficiently fast. Say the 10 upload was fast enough, would I still run into to speed issues the farther away from home I travel?

Again, thanks for the great information. This is exactly what I needed.
Guysakar

Guysakar

Anon

Also, if I use a VON router, will I have to have a computer on all of the time or does the VPN router take care of everything?

eibgrad
united state

eibgrad to Guysakar

to Guysakar
If the VON router (or any router) supports the VPN server itself, that's all you need. Any other devices on your home network are irrelevant. Of course, if you wanted to access those resources too, they'd need to be running, or support WOL (Wake On LAN) to boot them on-demand.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Guysakar

MVM

to Guysakar
said by Guysakar :

I wonder if 10 upload would be sufficiently fast.

Not enough information to say for sure.
said by Guysakar :

Say the 10 upload was fast enough, would I still run into to speed issues the farther away from home I travel?

Potentially yes, as there are latency factors
outside of your control, and the fact that it won't be a dedicated
10Mbp "pipe" between your house and wherever you are going.

Regards