All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

drevilz4l
@rr.com

drevilz4l

Anon

Purchased SBG6580 wireless modem/gateway. Primary Network Disabled.

I recently purchased an SBG6580 modem to avoid the TWC leasing fee. The wireless function works fine until I plug it into the COAX. Then once it restarts and pulls config files from TWC it disabled the primary wireless network. After calling TWC multiple times and getting about 20 different answers for why it doesn't work, and how its not their problem (The Gateway is broken, we can't enable wireless on your own modem, you need to call the manufacturer, etc), I gave up and put the modem into bridge mode.

Has anyone had any luck with a similar modem getting TWC to enable to wireless provisioning. I would much prefer to use the gateway for wireless as it is newer, and faster than my old wireless router.

Thanks.

SunDontShine

Anon

They will gladly let you use YOUR wireless.....................

$10.00 per month please.

Been there, told them to ..........................

zaxcom
join:2008-12-26
Charlotte, NC

zaxcom to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l
I have a 6580 and use the built in wireless all the time. No issues with TWC turning it off and I don't pay any extra wifi fee.

Did you log in as admin and set it up and change the password to the modem to something other than factory presets?

Drevilz4l
@mycingular.net

Drevilz4l

Anon

I did not. I kept all the settings at the factory default. The option can be changed right up until I plug it into the coax. Then the option for wireless becomes greyed out.

zaxcom
Charlotte, NC

zaxcom

Are you logging in as admin
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l
You might find it easier to purchase your own newer wireless router....

Drevilz4l
@rr.com

Drevilz4l to zaxcom

Anon

to zaxcom
Yeah. Logging in as admin. And default password.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

Be aware, the 6580 has terrible wireless capabilities. Put it in bridge mode, and get an Asus AC68U or an AC66U. You'll never regret it.

zaxcom
Charlotte, NC
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC3200
Linksys PAP2T

zaxcom

said by chamberc:

Be aware, the 6580 has terrible wireless capabilities. Put it in bridge mode, and get an Asus AC68U or an AC66U. You'll never regret it.

Please elaborate on why its terrible. I have been using mine for a year now with no issues.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to drevilz4l

Premium Member

to drevilz4l
said by drevilz4l :

After calling TWC multiple times and getting about 20 different answers for why it doesn't work, and how its not their problem (The Gateway is broken, we can't enable wireless on your own modem, you need to call the manufacturer, etc), I gave up and put the modem into bridge mode

TWC really needs to work on their support in cases like this. They clearly can disable and enable wireless on customer owned modems as you have seen, just like they can (and do) push firmware updates when needed. They don't seem to realize that the vast majority of cable modem features can be (and some must be) configured from their side via the configuration files that are downloaded on startup. This is how cable modems work, and I don't think they would let customers use a modem that allowed someone to override TWC's configuration file.

The best way to get this resolved is to post in the direct forum at »/fo ··· erdirect (You will need to create an account on this forum to post here). This private forum gets you in touch with more knowledgeable reps. If they can't help you, chances are nobody else at TWC will be able to help either.

Also, it may help to post your general location - city and state is more than enough. Maybe someone else in your area has had the same issue. TWC's policies can vary by market, so some may have different policies regarding WiFi on customer owned modems.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by j1349705:

said by drevilz4l :

After calling TWC multiple times and getting about 20 different answers for why it doesn't work, and how its not their problem (The Gateway is broken, we can't enable wireless on your own modem, you need to call the manufacturer, etc), I gave up and put the modem into bridge mode

TWC really needs to work on their support in cases like this. They clearly can disable and enable wireless on customer owned modems as you have seen, just like they can (and do) push firmware updates when needed. They don't seem to realize that the vast majority of cable modem features can be (and some must be) configured from their side via the configuration files that are downloaded on startup. This is how cable modems work, and I don't think they would let customers use a modem that allowed someone to override TWC's configuration file.

The best way to get this resolved is to post in the direct forum at »/fo ··· erdirect (You will need to create an account on this forum to post here). This private forum gets you in touch with more knowledgeable reps. If they can't help you, chances are nobody else at TWC will be able to help either.

Also, it may help to post your general location - city and state is more than enough. Maybe someone else in your area has had the same issue. TWC's policies can vary by market, so some may have different policies regarding WiFi on customer owned modems.

obviously TWC needs to have two config files for the 6580s and it looks like they only have 1 which makes no sense due to them breaking customer owned modems wifi features due to the company owned config file requiring that wifi be enabled by paying for it Turbo and lower tiers or just a change of the code on Extreme or higher tiers.
drevilz4l8
join:2008-08-25
Amsterdam, NY

1 edit

drevilz4l8

Thanks for all the tips guys. I contacted Direct Support. Hopefully they can sort this out for me.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven

Mod

Any update?

Livid
@rr.com

Livid

Anon

It really depends on the area where you live. I am in the NYC area and TWC here pushes a config file that defaults your editing capabilities on your own modem. Thus, like the OP said, the wifi option can be changed until the modem receives the TWC config file. I spent a while trying to figure this out but I only found a temporary fix for it.

1. Connect all the cables to the modem and reboot.
2. Log into your modem and hit security on the left hand side.
3. Choose "yes" under factor default settings and hit apply.
4. Hit the wireless tab on the top.
5. Under control channel, change it from "auto" to any other channel.
6. Wifi light should now be lit on the modem and everything works flawlessly...

Notice I mentioned temporary because if the signal drops or you unplug the AC cord from the outlet, you will have to do this again. This is sort of a hassle but I rather spend 2 minutes on this than pay an exorbitant fee to lease the modem and another fee for wifi access. If you get pissed off after a few days like I did, I would just set the modem to bridge mode and connect an old router to it.
mrmox
join:2013-12-17
San Diego, CA

mrmox to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l
I've been trying to work to get TWC to fix this issue in San Diego.
So far, *everyone* I have had contact with at TWC has told me:
no, we cannot control your modem (to disable the wireless in the router).

Here is my latest reply back (from me to TWC, it has some info from another ISP
from another site, I hope that is not a violation):

--------

Please consider that I have a MODEM+ROUTER (Motorola SBG6580).

I believe you DO have control over my wireless, but the mechanism is
hidden from you somehow. Not your fault I am sure, but please have the
open mindedness to consider the evidence. I believe the fact that it is a
MODEM+ROUTER gives you control, although you may not see that. Several
of the suggested solutions are to use a separate router, and this works
because it TAKES AWAY the ability of TWC to turn off the wireless router via the
provisioning block you send to the modem. This may be what is called an
UNANTICIPATED INTERACTION.

I also found this, where a different cable provider eventually acknowledged the problem and fixed it for a customer (this is the SAME MODEM+ROUTER I HAVE):

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···=16640.0

gk98765
wifi - provisioning push/napt disabled
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »
Greetings--

I have had mediacom internet for about a month. All worked well, wi-fi included for first 3 weeks or so.

Recently (late October) the wifi stopped working. I assumed it was a router issuer since it works with ethernet cable to laptop. I have the combo Motorola SBG6580 modem/router (per MC rep recommendation). When I called Motorola (now Arris), they indicated the problem was with Mediacom's signal. They proved this by having me reset the modem with the coax unplugged, after which the wifi would be active. Then, plugging in the coax results in deactivated wifi.

They indicated the problem is with the provisioning file that is pushed to the modem by Mediacom, and that MC support should be aware of this issue. He said the issue is that the NAPT mode changes to "disabled" once the mediacom coax is reconnected. Apparently this issue happens with the "push" from various providers...it is updated and (unintentionally?) overrides the NATP->enabled.

One more thing, Motorola (Arris) seemed very helpful, and they indicated a 3-way service phone call with tech could be another option. (1-877-466-8646)

Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 3
Software Version SBG6580-3.5.8.4-GA-00-505-NOSH

Thanks for any help, sorry if too long.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:08:06 AM by gk98765 »
x

And below that:

Okay, since this is a modem that we use out in the field that is wireless and the account doesn't have the wireless service the system flagged it and baselined it, which removed the wireless function. I have changed this so it shouldn't happen again but you may need to do a factory reset to get it fully functional. Let me know if that doesn't fix it, but all is now looking good on this side!

Chris

Thank you.

--------

It has been a stone wall for me with TWC so far!

mrmox
Expand your moderator at work

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l

Re: Purchased SBG6580 wireless modem/gateway. Primary Network Disabled.

What speed package do you have?

Whats happened is it was not properly entered into ICCOMS, this will require you getting to Tier 3 to resolve. Try calling back in and requesting Tier 3, 9/10 times you'll get your request to speak to them, where they know what they are doing vs the lower Tiers.
joeb99
join:2010-03-18

joeb99 to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l
I have seen a few cases where customers unknowingly purchased a SBG6580 that was at some time another cable provider's modem. Since it wasn't originally a customer modem the wifi would disable itself.
drevilz4l8
join:2008-08-25
Amsterdam, NY

drevilz4l8

Hey all. Completely forgot to update this, but the above is exactly what happened to me. The modem was an old TWC modem. I ended up getting a refund from the seller, and bought a new non wifi modem. Works fine.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by drevilz4l8:

Hey all. Completely forgot to update this, but the above is exactly what happened to me. The modem was an old TWC modem. I ended up getting a refund from the seller, and bought a new non wifi modem. Works fine.

That would do it - As it would be in their system as a TWC modem and not a "retail" modem meaning the "config" file sent to it would be the one that TWC can "lock out" wifi on.
joeb99

joeb99

said by Matt7:

said by drevilz4l8:

That would do it - As it would be in their system as a TWC modem and not a "retail" modem meaning the "config" file sent to it would be the one that TWC can "lock out" wifi on.

It doesn't matter if it was entered into their system as a TWC or customer modem. The firmware is what determines the behavior of the wifi. If it's a retail modem the wifi would be unlocked regardless.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by joeb99:

The firmware is what determines the behavior of the wifi. If it's a retail modem the wifi would be unlocked regardless.

Not true. The configuration file TWC pushes is what determines whether the WiFi is enabled or not.
joeb99

joeb99

said by mackey:

said by joeb99:

The firmware is what determines the behavior of the wifi. If it's a retail modem the wifi would be unlocked regardless.

Not true. The configuration file TWC pushes is what determines whether the WiFi is enabled or not.

What you're saying is correct if the SBG6580 has the ISPs firmware loaded. On the other hand, if the gateway has retail firmware loaded the bootfile the modem receives has no bearing on the wifi.
mrmox
San Diego, CA

mrmox to mackey

to mackey
I could imagine some code they have that looks at a list of "UNRECOVERED" modems (I am thinking of abandoned, then re-sold, but some would say stolen), and that turns the WiFi off.... but it would make no sense to only do that and let the wired ports all work fine, would it? And it would be colossal stupidity to not tell the cust if that is what they are doing.

I recently fired TWC over this issue, and I am now enjoying Uverse 45 Mbps for $45/mo including modem rental vs. the TWC 15 Mbps for $35/mo with customer owned modem (and random WiFi disable "feature"). Oh and I have a SBG6580 for sale!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to joeb99

Premium Member

to joeb99
But the firmware is updated to whatever is the ISPs current version shortly after it is connected to the network.
mackey

mackey to mrmox

Premium Member

to mrmox
said by mrmox:

but it would make no sense to only do that and let the wired ports all work fine, would it?

Not if they're also charging the monthly rental fee. They don't really care who's using it as long as they get paid.

It could also be a software limitation in which an entire block of MAC addresses are marked as "TWC owned" and thus get that bootfile even if a particular modem is subsequently purchased.

You had better let any potential buyer know they are buying TWC property!

/M
mrmox
San Diego, CA

mrmox to drevilz4l

to drevilz4l
I want to make it clear that in MY case, NONE of the TWC Customer Service Reps I heard from on the Time Warner Cable Direct forum here (including Charlene Mike Paul Steph Tim Darren Jared Jordan Julia) ever suggested being an "unrecovered" modem was a possibility to explain my problem (random WiFi disablement, works wired always).

I only learned of the concept and the ability to "blacklist" those modems in some fashion from a poster on this forum. Apparently TWC told him, and if that was my problem I presume they would have told me.

The fact that the CSRs denied the possibility of the Provisioning Block disabling the WiFi clearly proves the CSRs just do not understand the behavior of DOCISI3 integrated MODEM+ROUTERs.

I do not believe I have an unrecovered modem, but rather it is a TWC problem since they have demonstrated such idiocy in failing to resolve it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to Drevilz4l

Premium Member

to Drevilz4l
said by Drevilz4l :

Yeah. Logging in as admin. And default password.

try loging in with the MASTER password

I don't know it (use search function )
\
admin is just the "basic "user

they use "admin" to make you think it's POWERFUL account on the modem but it's just as useless as a limited user account on windows xp

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to joeb99

Premium Member

to joeb99
said by joeb99:

On the other hand, if the gateway has retail firmware loaded the bootfile the modem receives has no bearing on the wifi.

Huh? The bootfile ALWAYS can have bearing on the Wifi.
mrmox
San Diego, CA

mrmox

I also had essentially this same conversation with Motorola (Arris):

They indicated the problem is with the provisioning file that is pushed to the modem by Mediacom, and that MC support should be aware of this issue. He said the issue is that the NAPT mode changes to "disabled" once the mediacom coax is reconnected. Apparently this issue happens with the "push" from various providers...it is updated and (unintentionally?) overrides the NATP->enabled.

Only my provider was Time Warner Cable. And I had the identical behavior of course. But I never found the guy at TWC who was willing to fix it.

The behavior, after menu Factory Reset, "(1) power up MODEM-ROUTER without cable connected, WiFi works without any need to set anything (2) connect cable, WiFi turns itself off within minutes every time" clearly (IMHO) demonstrates that the firmware controls WiFi enable initially, but the provider's Provisioning Block can disable it.

Other speculation aside, I think it comes down to TWC being unwilling to stop disabling the WiFi unless you pay some monthly fee, even though they told me explicitly that there would be no such charge when I asked explicitly about it when I signed up. I think ALL the evidence fits this model.

From a TWC thread (but not a TWC CSR, and the thread had plenty of mis-information but I still think this is the problem):

»forums.timewarnercable.c ··· ue#M1865

TWC considers using their equipment for a home wireless network a separate service, whether it is a separate router leased from them or an All-In-One modem. They call it Home WiFi Service and charge $4.95 a month for it. If you are paying for that service, you have to contact tech support and have them turn the modem's wireless on.
On the other hand, if the gateway has retail firmware loaded the bootfile the modem receives has no bearing on the wifi.

One CSR (over internet chat) told me I had to pay this to get my WiFi enabled... but I pointed out that the INSTALLER WHO CAME TO MY HOUSE initially turned the WiFi on for me without this fee. They want to charge this fee for a customer owned modem even though they will tell you there is no fee for this for a customer owned modem when you call. Is what I think.

Maybe their billing software does not have the ability to stop turning off WiFi on these modems unless you pay that fee. I think TWC is just messed and has no brain when it comes to resolving this problem.