sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Dr Tweak

Re: A Tale of Two Browsers: Chrome v. Chromium

It's a plus for the average user who doesn't know any better.

It's annoying for more savvy users, for whom unscheduled updates might break things.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by sivran:

It's annoying for more savvy users, for whom unscheduled updates might break things.

+1

I prefer to update most software myself, so if any problems surface it's easier to trace back the cause.

But when I've set up software for friends/family, I always set it to auto-update because I know that they won't think to do it themselves.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Life is just better when Jeter is in the lineup.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

quote:
I prefer to update most software myself, so if any problems surface it's easier to trace back the cause.

But when I've set up software for friends/family, I always set it to auto-update because I know that they won't think to do it themselves.
Yup exactly what I do with my customers also........if there are any problems it's easy enough to reverse the process.

But it saves me updating their machines constantly.
--

Remember our Vets~

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to DownTheShore

The problem with "Iron" browser (Chromium) goes beyond the fact that it does not have auto-update.

I never use auto-updates anyway.

No---the problem with Iron is that there is NO update, not even manual, and NO notification of updates.

You have to go to the Iron website every so often and see if there's a new version, which has to be downloaded in full.

I've found both the aggressively stripped-down "Iron" and the somewhat stripped-down "Google Chrome" to both have so many annoyances that I have gone back to Pale Moon, an optimized version of Mozilla Firefox which supports all the FF extensions.

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to sivran

said by sivran:

I never, ever install or update anything without first making a full image backup. Anything less puts you in the position of having to figure out how to fix it when something eventually does go wrong with an install or update, and you may end up losing everything between the present back to your most recent backup. Backup, backup, backup.

And image backups need to be stored not just on a different partition, but on a separate physical hard drive. Partition your hard drive into two partition, your OS and a second data backup partition, save the backup images to the second partition, and when the hard drive crashes, you loose not just your installation, but your backups as well.
--
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010