Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran

Re: A Tale of Two Browsers: Chrome v. Chromium

said by sivran:

It's a plus for the average user who doesn't know any better.

It's annoying for more savvy users, for whom unscheduled updates might break things.

+1

I prefer to update most software myself, so if any problems surface it's easier to trace back the cause.

But when I've set up software for friends/family, I always set it to auto-update because I know that they won't think to do it themselves.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
I prefer to update most software myself, so if any problems surface it's easier to trace back the cause.

But when I've set up software for friends/family, I always set it to auto-update because I know that they won't think to do it themselves.
Yup exactly what I do with my customers also........if there are any problems it's easy enough to reverse the process.

But it saves me updating their machines constantly.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
The problem with "Iron" browser (Chromium) goes beyond the fact that it does not have auto-update.

I never use auto-updates anyway.

No---the problem with Iron is that there is NO update, not even manual, and NO notification of updates.

You have to go to the Iron website every so often and see if there's a new version, which has to be downloaded in full.

I've found both the aggressively stripped-down "Iron" and the somewhat stripped-down "Google Chrome" to both have so many annoyances that I have gone back to Pale Moon, an optimized version of Mozilla Firefox which supports all the FF extensions.