how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mystiky4

join:2006-03-15
New York, NY

ONT Battery replacement

After about 4 years, it seems like I will finally need to replace the battery in my FIOS ONT box.

Verizon suggests this one:

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···home/502

However, after looking at various places, I found a suggestion that I can just use this replacement battery ($18 shipped), rather than buying one from Verizon for nearly $40:

»www.amazon.com/Battery-for-PX120···0C2EXYD5

I am aware that 2-wire pigtail cable connecting the battery internally to the BBU that I will need to keep and connect to the new battery.

Also, I do realize that the GT12080-HG replacement offered by Verizon is a bit stronger/better, but is it really worth it?

Any comments or opinions?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
Only thing to worry about is date code. Some vendors buy up someone else's outdated, then sells it cheap. Not likely a problem, but possible. You could replace battery twice at that price compared to VZ, and still come out ahead. I've purchased similar wih no regrets.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
This is the first I've heard about this. Do I get any warning that the battery is running low? Or does my service just disappear, and I'm without any TV or Internet until I replace the battery? I'm a newbie at Verizon FIOS, just installed my Internet two weeks ago.

Doesn't Verizon take responsibility for replacing the battery?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
The battery is there to provide phone service during a power outage. The battery will also keep your internet and TV service up for about 5 minutes during a power outage.

The battery is not required for normal operation.
The battery should last 4+ years under normal conditions.
When the battery gets weak, it will start beeping.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Will there be any way to stop the beeping? Or will I just have to live with that until it's replaced? Will Verizon replace it? Will that mean scheduling an appointment which may be a week or more away, meaning that in the interim I'll just have to live with the beeping?

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
kudos:1
Verizon will sell you a new battery.. The battery is your responsibility..

jsmathew

join:2011-11-26
North Wales, PA
reply to Mystiky4
I recently bought a FIOS genuine replacement battery from Amazon. Here is the link:
»www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2KFXU···ST1_dp_1

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mystiky4
Not sure if this is useful at all but...when I added FiOS tv to my FiOS broadband and phone this past June, I asked the installation tech about my ONT battery--installed Nov/Dec 2009 and working ok at that point in June--and he replaced it for me.

Do you have any need for a tech call to your place? '-}}

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to marc3565
said by marc3565:

Verizon will sell you a new battery.. The battery is your responsibility..

Okay. So I guess that just leaves the damn beeping. How loud is it? Will I just have to live with that non-stop until the battery is shipped to me? Or can I pick one up from a Verizon store (assuming there's one in Manhattan)?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to jsmathew
said by jsmathew:

I recently bought a FIOS genuine replacement battery from Amazon

When you include the $8.99 shipping its the same price that Verizon offers... $34.99.

texastown

join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX
reply to jsmathew
I bought this same battery from Amazon about a month ago. Is the same one shown by Verizon for replacement. Easy to replace yourself.

The cheaper one shown above by a poster is the older model. Will it work as well, I don't know, but I just got the newer one.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to criggs
I believe you can turn off the beeping. You can also remove the battery completely but then you lose the backup time. This is a pretty big battery -- I am surprised that it only provides eight hours of phone use when there's a power outage. And that phone has to be one that doesn't need an electrical connection.

Stankyest

@verizon.net
Low battery started my ONT beeping about 8 months ago. I pushed the button to temporarily stop the beeping, disconnected the battery for about 24hrs and then reconnected it, and it hasn't beeped since.

At this point I'm not sure if it was a false positive kinda thing, but I'm hoping I found a way to not have to spend the $'s on another battery.

I guess there is some agency out there that requires VZ to have this, but anyone that has FIOS most likely has a cell phone, and since my landline phones are wireless, battery backup is pointless.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to billhere
said by billhere:

I believe you can turn off the beeping. You can also remove the battery completely

Thank you for the info. I'll poke around to see If I can figure that out.

said by billhere:

it only provides eight hours of phone use when there's a power outage. And that phone has to be one that doesn't need an electrical connection.

Which is exactly why I didn't go with that for my landline. My landline is still copper and I intend it to remain so (I've gone through two blackouts in the last decade, and my copper line was invaluable).

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to billhere
said by billhere:

I believe you can turn off the beeping.

Beeping cannot be permanently disabled without replacing the battery. The other option is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it which can yield many weeks of beeperless operation.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by bohratom:

Beeping cannot be permanently disabled without replacing the battery

Depends on the model of the ONT. I removed my battery several years ago and it hasn't beeped since.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lt Belspur

join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL
reply to Mystiky4
This is a good place to get batteries.

»www.atbatt.com/

»www.atbatt.com/ups-backup-batter···ckup.asp

I get all my Backup UPS Batteries from them.

anti_windoze

join:2001-07-08
Fontana, CA
reply to Mystiky4
my ont is in the garage so when mine went dead i just removed and the unit beeps every 5 or so minutes, i just ignore it lol

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Which brings up another question of mine. When I had FIOS TV installed over a year ago, I had no knowledge of the ONT device. Suddenly there it was, big as life, for all to see, on the wall right next to my TV, a real eyesore which they refused to move once I realized what had happened. They basically told me it would cost at least $100 to have them move it to a different location. I've lived with it, but I always have the possibility of moving it in the back of my mind. Now that I know it will start beeping at me in a year or so, I'm thinking I should once more look into this. Any of you have experience with getting your ONT device moved?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by criggs:

Any of you have experience with getting your ONT device moved?

It's been done.
»[ fiber tech] Moving The ONT Indoors Myself..

Not recommended that you do it yourself.
--

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to More Fiber
I should have made clear I meant if the Battery is left in...