spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

iMessage vs SMS - you can miss an important message ..

so my friend was SMSing

iPhone to iPhone .. so it was using iMessage

which is better cause it's free... BUT few weeks later my friends data plan expired and few weeks later he SMSed that number again ..

the person got the message - as a regular SMS and replied - but reply was sent as an iMessage

it was a very important message ..

ONLY when my friend got on WiFi - did he receive the iMessage ..

I'm shocked .. how could this be?

this is a major issue ...

can you see serious issues .. confusion that can lead to anything ..

can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks ..

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Gordo74

Premium Member

The sender of the second message had the "Send iMessage as SMS when iMessage is unavailable" unchecked in the settings. User error, not protocol error.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
IOS7 reset to send as SMS off from my experience

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
I wouldn't rely on ANY text messaging system for something that is truly important. There is no guarantee ever that a person has read it, even if received.

Try old school - make a phone call.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

+10000

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

I wouldn't rely on ANY text messaging system for something that is truly important. There is no guarantee ever that a person has read it, even if received.

No kidding.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

said by darcilicious:

said by Nezmo:

No kidding.

I agree .. old school for sure ... ONLY way to be sure ..

(it was "important" .. but not urgent ..)

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo

Sender should have seen a message saying the message couldn't go through. Again, sorry to say (repeat), but user error. I guess we're all saying that sending messages via electronic means should not be assumed as to having been received as soon as the SEND button has been clicked. It's the same with email...a message sent might sit in OUTBOX pending resolution of some issue.
Any time a timely or important message is being sent...one should always double check to make sure the device actually sent it.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Nezmo

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

^^^^^^^^^^
This!
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to WK2

to WK2
Yeah, we found that out too when I switched to a Galaxy Note 3 from an iPhone. Total PITA.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
This is an architectural issue with iMessage. If your friend turns off his data plan, or powers off his phone, how is Apple to know that he isn't coming back soon? The iMessage servers hold the message in queue until the phone reconnects, which is what you'd want to happen.

The way around the problem would be for the iMessage server to notify the original sender of the message after, say, 24 hours, letting them know the message didn't go through and offer to send it via SMS. That would remove the message from the server and prompt the phone to re-send it.

What you don't want is apple's servers sending SMS messages, because it will come from a random number or email that won't be familiar to the receiver. You also don't want to fall back to SMS if the iMessage isn't delivered immediately, because, like I said, Apple's servers don't know if the person turned off the phone temporarily.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2

Premium Member

iPhone is set by default to resend by SMS after a short time. The phone does it, not Apple. Some people, like me, have turned that feature off. I keep an eye on messages that don't deliver right away for this reason and I can decide to resend as SMS myself. Most people probably have not turned it off, so after the (five minute?) timeout, the phone resends as SMS.

It would be nice if Apple had a way for folks to manage their iMessage devices, though.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Not sure if has been mentioned, but BBM allow for the sender to know if the reader got the message "D for Delivered" and if they read the message "R for Read"

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

iMessage has the same. Messages will say "Delivered" under them when at least one of the recipient's devices has received the message. If the recipient is allowing read receipts (it's off by default), the status will change to "Read 7:00PM".

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
I've had the same issue, though not with anything critical. I "upgraded" to a Moto X, but still have my old iPhone 4 as VoIP phone at home (no cell service).
Now all of the people I used to text with using iMessage still go to the old iPhone. It's a PITA.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by nunya:

I've had the same issue, though not with anything critical. I "upgraded" to a Moto X, but still have my old iPhone 4 as VoIP phone at home (no cell service).
Now all of the people I used to text with using iMessage still go to the old iPhone. It's a PITA.

Turn off imessage on the 4