how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

[INTERNET] Chatham Internet Congestion Issues

I want to hear some other peoples experiences with Cogeco in the Chatham area.

I've had congestion issues in my area for the past few months I've been a Cogeco customer. Cogeco had provided a credit for it for the first 2 months, but they have recently refused to provide it moving forward and now they deny that the issue exists and will not provide any information at all.

I've spoken with a tech support agent who had told me that there was an alert on my account that said there was congestion. I spoke with a tier2 tech agent who confirmed that and stated that they didn't have any ETA to resolve it. After a few months dealing with it, I called back to check and see if I could be credited again. I was told there is no congestion issue and that I would not be credited again. I still receive less than half of the speed I pay for starting in the late afternoon which persists into the early morning.

Could anyone else in Chatham confirm if they are having any congestion issues? Does anyone know if Cogeco is actually planning on fixing these issues? Has anyone received any discount in service because of congestion?

jafo98

join:2001-09-08
Chatham, ON
No congestion here. I'm near Kingston Park

I usually hit this most times of the day/week

elitedev

Chatham, ON
Here I am again, tested all day and was fine up until about 4pm.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3137926042.png

I'm located by Keil / Riverview and it's mostly apartments. This has been on-going for months now and Cogeco told me today that there is no issue. I only know one other customer and they have the same issue. I'm just trying to confirm if it's my modem or a real congestion issue. It's just strange if it's a hardware issue to only be a problem in the evenings.

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Seems like local node congestion to me. I'm sure cogeco has multiple nodes in Chatham so other areas in town may have full speeds at peak times. I'm using teksavvy Internet over cogeco's network and my speeds are fine as of 6:00 pm. Located near the pines.

Keaters
Premium
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitedev
I used to have major congestion issues when I was on the 60Mbps package, when I downgraded to 30Mbps the congestion issue went away. I am over by Heuvelman's and it was very bad!! For the past month it has improved 10 fold.

I have spoken with Mike Hinebuck, who is the Area Manager for Cogeco for Chatham-Kent and Sarnia-Lambton. He has confirmed that there is congestion on every node in Chatham, and they have installed new links on Richmond St to help with it until the node splits happen. They are scheduled to start in February 2014 and finish by the end of 2014. I was told that will stop all congestion moving forward.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON
Maybe that'll mean 10mbps upload finally. And room for more.

elitedev

Chatham, ON
reply to Keaters
Interesting.

Their tier2 support denied any existence of congestion (even after a regular tech support agent told me there is an alert for congestion on my account). I know it's a congestion issue, but it's really bad in this area to where I'm not even getting half the subscribed speeds. I was promised credit for the time until it's resolved, but that stopped after just 2 months and they would no longer honour it.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
If you are still getting half the speed, as tech offered to send out a technician to look into it? As well, are you directly plugged into the modem when doing these tests? I know it sounds silly to ask, but it gives a better understanding of where the problem might lay.

elitedev

Chatham, ON
It's not a tech issue, my RF is all in spec, no sync isssues at all. My download speeds are what they should be during off peak hours, it's only in the evenings and some times on the weekends that there is any slow down. I don't feel like taking a day off work just so a tech can tell me there is no issue, Cogeco just doesn't want to keep crediting me for the issue like they had promised so they are denying any problems.

jmarlatt2

Chatham, ON
Switch to an iisp, you'll most likely have the same congestion, but you won't be overpaying. Bell still hasn't updated Chatham yet to anything over 6 Mbps so there isn't much option.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Not true about Bell...Chatham in the past couple of weeks have had some FTTN installs done. Anyone who lives near the Queen St CO are now able to obtain 10/1 DSL. Blew my mind when I heard it!

elitedev

Chatham, ON
Definitely beats what Bell can provide me here, max 1.5mb down and it doesn't leave me a whole lot of options for internet service.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
I just had two techs out yesterday to look into the speed issue. I logged into Speedtest.net for them and went through my speed test history while on Ultimate 30 with no problems, then now the Ultimate 60. They changed from connectors on the wall plate and at the demarc in the ceiling of the hallway and it did not improve the signal because the signals were fine. They said they are going to refer this to maintenance so that they can deem my node has congestion because it is still not listed as Congestion. This blows my mind. I told them I was sorry for wasting their time, and they said, they enjoy talking to me because I speak their lingo.

funstopper

join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON
reply to jafo98
How many channels are bonded on your upstream?

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Only 1 on the upstream

brendanthkid

join:2013-03-15
Windsor, ON
Ouch, Windsor has 4

funstopper

join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON
reply to Keaters
Was asking jafo as mine is 1 channel on the upstream and my upload is 2 mb less.

Keaters
Premium
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to brendanthkid
Click for full size
Windsor has 4 because you have the bandwidth to allow for that and the 10Mbps upload. In Chatham, they have only done Phase 1 of the digital migration and we are waiting for Phase 2. Once that is done we will be getting 4 upstream channels and the 10Mbps upload.

Right now, I am blowing my mind because my DCM476 which was working fine with no slow speeds issues was blocked because it is not a Cogeco modem and I am forced to use the DPC3008 by Cisco. Here is a lovely speedtest breakdown since I plugged in the Cisco DPC3008 and they say there is no congestion on my node:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3164177345

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3164184074

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3164196645

What blows my mind is with 2 techs out at the same time and they agree there is congestion, the stupid diagnostic tool that Cogeco uses says there is none. When I call a front line rep in support about the Refer to Maintenance that was supposed to be put in, I am told it was never done. I am about to lose my mind because even with TPIA I had the same problem and because I was a TPIA customer nothing could be done, but when I am a Cogeco customer nothing can still be done because "There is no congestion". I say, your tool is not including the MAC ID's of the TPIA customers and I do have congestion on my node. Dealing with half to 1/4 speeds during 5PM to 11PM is garbage every night. I am on Ultimate 60 because I want the bandwidth and the speed. I cannot even joy the speed because everything I want to do is lagging versus not. Having someone watch Netflix, while someone is gaming on BF4, and someone is downloading, to get the best out of each, Ultimate 60 is it. I am not able to even maximize my usage because of the crap speeds. Lets chalk this up to someone passing the buck. Yes, I am very angry. Not so much over the modem issue, but more of the fact "Nothing can be done because there is no congestion. Swap out your modem" Listen, The Modem is Fine. Traceroutes and Ping tests with the modem show no problems. Pinging the built in DHCP on the modem shows 0 sec latency and no packet loss.

elitedev

Chatham, ON
I hear you!

It's outright infuriating that Cogeco is denying that congestion is the cause. I spoke with a senior tech who checked the link capacity and told me that there was available bandwidth so it's not congestion. As if I care about there link capacity, the issue is at the node. I know people less than a few blocks away and they don't seem to have any issue, however, everyone in this building has the same issue. The tech even accused my computer as being the cause.

I'm about ready to complain officially to the CCTS. Cogeco stated that they will guaranty me 85% of the speed I subscribe too. I have the calls recorded (I was told that on two separate occasions). If they cannot provide me the service I pay for, then they better start providing me discounts on the service (which they initially promised, and only followed through 2 times, which I had to call and complain to get on each occasion).

I wish someone from Cogeco would come on this thread and say something reassuring, it just goes to show that they truly do not care.