spc
Search similar:

uniqs
EkS
join:2011-12-20
USA

EkS

Modem resets when watching Netflix.

Anyone else have issues with your Motorola SB6141 modem resetting when watching Netflix? I've had Charter give me a new modem (same model), but the same thing keeps happening, and only when watching Netflix. Anyone else run into this issue?

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

I don't think this is related to your modem. Many people are having this problem with Netflix with various devices and modems. It seems the routing and Netflix server locations may have a lot to do with it. Not to mention capacity/usage within your neighborhood or home.

Some cable company customers get preferred service, but Charter hasn't signed that agreement with Netflix.
EkS
USA

EkS

How can Netflix have anything to do with my modem resetting? I go into the modem setting and it resets. My whole internet connection goes away. It's not that Netflix disconnects me from their service.

What I'm going to try today is limiting the bandwidth on my Netflix account. So essentially, I won't be watching anything in HD.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to EkS

to EkS
Yeah, what msmisfit was talking about has nothing to do with the modem.

That is a bizarre thing to happen. What internet package do you have and can you post your signals? Does it happen any time or only a certain times of the day?

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to EkS

to EkS
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I should not have mentioned the Netflix CDN agreement. Netflix is definitely not disconnecting you, but it does have minimum limits that will maintain a transmission.

What I meant to stress is that your SB6141 is probably not at fault, it likely has to do with your connection and the traffic between you and whichever Netflix center you connect with... basically the routing.... if it doesn't have anything to do with congestion in just your neighborhood, or something in your home.

You may be using a wired connection, but I watch Netflix with a Roku WIFI connection, and my router will reset my connection when the channel I'm on becomes too congested, which is annoying also.

If you search for Netflix you will find other discussions about this, and see what equipment other people have, who are having the same problem, or just can't maintain HD settings with Netflix.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to EkS

to EkS
I think you misunderstand the problem he's having. His modem is resetting. It's not a routing issue or a problem with congestion into Charter's network. Starving the streams for bandwidth would not cause his modem to physically reset itself.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

said by mixdup:

Starving the streams for bandwidth would not cause his modem to physically reset itself.

Thank you! I did not know that would have no effect. I'll stop chiming in on that issue now. I am still interested in the solution to his problem though, and all things related to Netflix. [I didn't understand why he said it ONLY happened with Netflix.]
EkS
USA

EkS to mixdup

to mixdup
Thank you, glad someone understands.

Now anyway run into this issue?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to EkS

Premium Member

to EkS
What device(s) are in use to watch netflix in your house? What, router do you use. Are there any other devices being used in your house that may be downloading or file transfers, etc.?
EkS
USA

EkS

said by aguen:

What device(s) are in use to watch netflix in your house? What, router do you use. Are there any other devices being used in your house that may be downloading or file transfers, etc.?

Using a PS3 to watch, with a Asus RT-N66U router. There might be streaming to another laptop. But I know that the simultaneous streaming is not an issue because it'll reset whether we're all watching Netflix on the same TV or not. The modem does NOT reset when watching Hulu Plus or YouTube on the PS3.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to EkS

to EkS
I've heard of routers resetting but not modems under load. It sounds bizarre. Would definitely see if they can give you a different model modem
EkS
USA

EkS

Yeah I know. Getting a different model modem is going to be my next option. This is already my 2nd sb6141.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to EkS

Premium Member

to EkS
said by EkS:

Using a PS3 to watch, with a Asus RT-N66U router. There might be streaming to another laptop. But I know that the simultaneous streaming is not an issue because it'll reset whether we're all watching Netflix on the same TV or not. The modem does NOT reset when watching Hulu Plus or YouTube on the PS3.

Is the modem set for pass through mode? How long have you been watching Netflix? Has something changed recently in your current hardware/networking environment?
EkS
USA

EkS

said by aguen:

said by EkS:

Is the modem set for pass through mode? How long have you been watching Netflix? Has something changed recently in your current hardware/networking environment?

How do I check if the modem is set for pass through?

As for Netflix, I've had it for years.

This started happening when I went from a lower tier speed to their 30Mbps speed. Just today I changed the bandwidth limit on my Netflix account and watched a 2 hour movie and it didn't reset.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to EkS

to EkS
What IP address does your router get from the modem? Is it a public IP or is it a non-public 192.something address?
EkS
USA

EkS

Public IP
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to EkS

Premium Member

to EkS
What was the previous bandwidth setting and what is the current setting please?

Not a netflix user myself but I do use my Amazon prime account quite often via my Sony BRay enet connected player to stream movies, TV shows, etc. with no issues. I'm on the 30/4 plan using an ARRIS modem.
EkS
USA

EkS

These are the BW settings. I went from best to better.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1.0 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant to EkS

to EkS
What are the signal levels from the modem's diagnostics? Perhaps, the modem resetting while using Netflix is coincidence. Poor signal can cause the modem to force it to resync (reset).
EkS
USA

EkS

Click for full size
These are my levels.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

Looks good. What about upstream?

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN

CoolMan to EkS

to EkS
I just switched from a SB6120 to a SB6141 earlier today and Netflix is not resetting for me. However, it is not reaching the Super HD bitrates currently.
EkS
USA

EkS to defiant

to defiant
Upstream levels.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

That's a bit low.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to EkS

to EkS
Your power level for channel 3 is a tad low, you want your TX power between 37-47
EkS
USA

EkS

So what can I do about the low power level?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

The low upstream level may or may not be a factor with your issue. With that said, you can try to get a service call scheduled. The tech should check the levels from the tap and determine if they are within design-spec.
EkS
USA

EkS

Can I just tell the CSR the I believe the power levels are low and they should send a tech?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

You'll have a much easier time getting a service call scheduled if you do it in-person at the local office. They don't do troubleshooting there, so all you have to do is request a service call for connection issues. Getting into too many details probably won't help much.

Calling in would probably result in some troubleshooting that likely won't provide any positive results. I'm not sure how quickly or likely a phone rep. would resort to setting up a service call simply based on signal levels.

Like I mentioned, your issue may or may not be signal level related. However, it's worth getting it looked into and resolved.

Are you certain it's the modem that's rebooting and not any other networking gear you might be using?
EkS
USA

EkS

Thanks for the tip. That is what happened the first time I called and they were trying to troubleshoot. They offered a new modem but that didn't fix the problem. I'll be visiting their office soon, and update this thread once the tech comes out.

I'm sure it's the modem. The logs on the modem show a reset, and my router shows a lost WAN connection when the modem resets.