to elitedev

Re: [INTERNET] Chatham Internet Congestion Issues

No congestion here. I'm near Kingston Park

I usually hit this most times of the day/week
elitedev
join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

elitedev

Here I am again, tested all day and was fine up until about 4pm.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6042.png

I'm located by Keil / Riverview and it's mostly apartments. This has been on-going for months now and Cogeco told me today that there is no issue. I only know one other customer and they have the same issue. I'm just trying to confirm if it's my modem or a real congestion issue. It's just strange if it's a hardware issue to only be a problem in the evenings.
jmarlatt2
join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

jmarlatt2

Seems like local node congestion to me. I'm sure cogeco has multiple nodes in Chatham so other areas in town may have full speeds at peak times. I'm using teksavvy Internet over cogeco's network and my speeds are fine as of 6:00 pm. Located near the pines.
funstopper
join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON

funstopper to jafo98

to jafo98
How many channels are bonded on your upstream?

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters

Premium Member

Only 1 on the upstream
brendanthkid
join:2013-03-15
Windsor, ON

brendanthkid

Ouch, Windsor has 4
funstopper
join:2012-06-20
Chatham, ON

funstopper to Keaters

to Keaters
Was asking jafo as mine is 1 channel on the upstream and my upload is 2 mb less.

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters to brendanthkid

Premium Member

to brendanthkid
Click for full size
Windsor has 4 because you have the bandwidth to allow for that and the 10Mbps upload. In Chatham, they have only done Phase 1 of the digital migration and we are waiting for Phase 2. Once that is done we will be getting 4 upstream channels and the 10Mbps upload.

Right now, I am blowing my mind because my DCM476 which was working fine with no slow speeds issues was blocked because it is not a Cogeco modem and I am forced to use the DPC3008 by Cisco. Here is a lovely speedtest breakdown since I plugged in the Cisco DPC3008 and they say there is no congestion on my node:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 64177345

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 64184074

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 64196645

What blows my mind is with 2 techs out at the same time and they agree there is congestion, the stupid diagnostic tool that Cogeco uses says there is none. When I call a front line rep in support about the Refer to Maintenance that was supposed to be put in, I am told it was never done. I am about to lose my mind because even with TPIA I had the same problem and because I was a TPIA customer nothing could be done, but when I am a Cogeco customer nothing can still be done because "There is no congestion". I say, your tool is not including the MAC ID's of the TPIA customers and I do have congestion on my node. Dealing with half to 1/4 speeds during 5PM to 11PM is garbage every night. I am on Ultimate 60 because I want the bandwidth and the speed. I cannot even joy the speed because everything I want to do is lagging versus not. Having someone watch Netflix, while someone is gaming on BF4, and someone is downloading, to get the best out of each, Ultimate 60 is it. I am not able to even maximize my usage because of the crap speeds. Lets chalk this up to someone passing the buck. Yes, I am very angry. Not so much over the modem issue, but more of the fact "Nothing can be done because there is no congestion. Swap out your modem" Listen, The Modem is Fine. Traceroutes and Ping tests with the modem show no problems. Pinging the built in DHCP on the modem shows 0 sec latency and no packet loss.
elitedev
join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

elitedev

I hear you!

It's outright infuriating that Cogeco is denying that congestion is the cause. I spoke with a senior tech who checked the link capacity and told me that there was available bandwidth so it's not congestion. As if I care about there link capacity, the issue is at the node. I know people less than a few blocks away and they don't seem to have any issue, however, everyone in this building has the same issue. The tech even accused my computer as being the cause.

I'm about ready to complain officially to the CCTS. Cogeco stated that they will guaranty me 85% of the speed I subscribe too. I have the calls recorded (I was told that on two separate occasions). If they cannot provide me the service I pay for, then they better start providing me discounts on the service (which they initially promised, and only followed through 2 times, which I had to call and complain to get on each occasion).

I wish someone from Cogeco would come on this thread and say something reassuring, it just goes to show that they truly do not care.