how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andrade6503

@verizon.net

[Channels] Increase to TV plan

Click for full size
Has anyone else gotten this notice when going to your manage service page? How come that notice is NOWHERE to be found on the latest bill or on the front page? I rarely go to the my manage service page. Is this increase only for the Prime TV plan or ALL TV plans? If it's only for the prime plan then I would just switch to the Select plan.

Thanks.

Vztechjoe

@optonline.net

There are no sports channels at all on the Select HD package so the Regional Sports Fee does not apply.

andrade6503

@verizon.net

What about that 8.00 increase to the TV package? That seems be separate from the regional sports fee.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by andrade6503 :

What about that 8.00 increase to the TV package?

That's the first time I've seen anyone post an increase on their current TV package. You won't be the last as I bet I'll be seeing that charge soon.

DeadSurvivor
Shattered Dreams
Premium
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL
reply to andrade6503

Sheesh ... Looks like Verizon prices are rising faster than just about anyone else providing pay television service.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to andrade6503

DSLReports picked up on your post and has a story about it.

»Verizon Raising FiOS TV Rates, Bumping Regional Sports Fee

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to andrade6503

I don't get why we can't just opt out of the BS RSN's?

I don't watch sports and looked into the Select but it's missing quite a few channels we do watch.

We're due up in 2014 and it may be time to dust off the old spreadsheet and see what the best is:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

said by itguy05:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

Each ALSO charges a Regional Sports Fee. Verizon is no different.

bull3964

@verizon.net
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

We're due up in 2014 and it may be time to dust off the old spreadsheet and see what the best is:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

Fios Internet + Chromecast + Netflix + Hulu + Ala Carte Episodes off of Google Play (for stuff not on Hulu.)

I've already done the math and I could purchase a full season in HD for about 20 shows a year off Google Play for what I'm paying in FiOS TV and those would be commercial free, network bug free, and snipe free (not to mention that I would now own them and could watch them anywhere on any device I have.) The reality is, I wouldn't even have to purchase that many since Hulu would put a significant dent in that.

Cutting the cord has become more convenient, cheaper, AND higher quality than having TV service. It's also the only option for those who don't want to constantly feed the commercial sports machine.

As soon as I get caught up on my DVR content, it's likely the route I'm going to take.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I don't get why we can't just opt out of the BS RSN's?

I don't watch sports and looked into the Select but it's missing quite a few channels we do watch.

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

The primary culprit are the teams, they are reaping the profits. The problem is the fans, who would go berzerk if they couldn't watch their teams. It happens every time. The providers don't want to let you opt out of the RSN's because that would lose them a lot of money. They want the lower tiers to carry them, because again, otherwise fans would scream bloody murder.

thetick

White Plains, NY

1 edit
reply to andrade6503

Considering how bad all the NYC teams are this year, they should be paying me to watch them.

Regardless for the non-Sports fan cord cutting makes lots of sense IF one does not want to bundle with triple play or commit to a contract. If I downgrade to double play and LOOSE my $30/month discount then I will actually pay more $$$ and loose all the sports. But for someone paying full retail for cable or FIOS lots of money can be saved by cord cutting.

I think there should be an all sports package (including basics like ESPN) since sports fan will pay what ever it is and non-Sports fan can not be burdened with the cost. Note I'm a sports fan and willing to pay a little extra for sports, but the cost is approaching my limit.

bull3964

@208.40.147.x

Well, that's part of the problem. I don't want their current triple play bundles. I don't have home phone service, I never have had home phone service and I don't intend to get home phone service. It's them trying to force services onto people that they don't want or need.

Right now, I have a Flex triple play bundle I got back in 2010 (my wireless service fills out the phone role in the triple play.) They don't appear to offer that option any more. My agreement expired in March of 2012, almost two years ago.

I have 35/35 internet, Ultimate HD, and all the premiums. It's $110 /month +box rental + premiums + the cost of my wireless plan.

If I rebundled right now, DOWNGRADED my internet to 15/5, and kept TV services the same, I would be playing $14.99 /month more. There's no sense in doing that at all.

If I dropped down to just 50/25 internet, that would be $59.99 /month for the first year ($79.99 for the 2nd year). So even taking 2nd year pricing into account, I'm saving $30 /month on service alone. Then there's another $19.99 /month DVR rental, $11.99 for Starz/Encore, and $19.99 for HBO. So, that's $81.98/month I would save dropping down to just internet ($101.98/month during the first year).

That's nothing to sneeze at. I could buy a whole lot of programming a season at a time from Google Play for that cost. HD seasons average about $40 /pop and new episodes are available a day after they air. So, by saving $80/month, I could buy a full season for 24 shows a year. Half of what I watch is on Hulu+, so I would probably have to buy less than half that.

Paying for linear TV doesn't make sense anymore if you don't watch sports.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

said by bull3964 :

Paying for linear TV doesn't make sense anymore if you don't watch sports.

Cable news as well. And most people don't want to wait 6 months to watch one of the popular shows, while everybody else they know has already seen it and spoiled it.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to andrade6503

Since the OP is not on a contract (note the "No Term agreement" in the current service screen), they can expect a dribble of increases for their service. The only way to prevent it is by going on a contract which **in general** is a better deal in the long run.

I experienced the same thing when my initial contract expired. The price kept increasing. Finally I took the time to research options and found a cheaper plan with better service with a two-year contract. And when that expired I did the same thing and am actually paying only about $15 more than when I started with FiOS -- in 2007. And that's going from 15/5 Internet to 50/25, with the same TV package with the same premium channels, and with better voice (POTS to DV, which has many more features.) Oh an I avoid the sports fee because I entered the last contract last January, just before it was instituted. So I'm happier than not.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

Speaking of sports networks, how about a new one coming in March? Where will it end?
FNTSY Sports Network

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···h/146994

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to bull3964

I would love to cut out FiosTV as well except for the kids watching all the Nick/Disney shows - there's nowhere else to get most of them that I can find.

said by bull3964 :

said by itguy05:

Fios Internet + DirecTV
Fios Internet + Dish
Comcast

Fios Internet + Chromecast + Netflix + Hulu + Ala Carte Episodes off of Google Play (for stuff not on Hulu.)

I've already done the math and I could purchase a full season in HD for about 20 shows a year off Google Play for what I'm paying in FiOS TV and those would be commercial free, network bug free, and snipe free (not to mention that I would now own them and could watch them anywhere on any device I have.) The reality is, I wouldn't even have to purchase that many since Hulu would put a significant dent in that.

Cutting the cord has become more convenient, cheaper, AND higher quality than having TV service. It's also the only option for those who don't want to constantly feed the commercial sports machine.

As soon as I get caught up on my DVR content, it's likely the route I'm going to take.

thetick

White Plains, NY

said by QuaffAPint:

I would love to cut out FiosTV as well except for the kids watching all the Nick/Disney shows - there's nowhere else to get most of them that I can find.

What shows are you looking for?
Amazon Instant Video and Prime have many of the shows for purchase my son watches.

QuaffAPint

Downingtown, PA

said by thetick:

Amazon Instant Video and Prime have many of the shows for purchase my son watches.

Thanks - I did find some. Not cheap though (like $77/season/show).

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to thetick

said by thetick:

Who would want to purchase shows to watch? Is it really that much cheaper than having a cable TV subscription where you can DVR anything and watch all the On Demand?

thetick

White Plains, NY

said by matcarl See Profile
Who would want to purchase shows to watch? Is it really that much cheaper than having a cable TV subscription where you can DVR anything and watch all the On Demand?
[/bquote :

My toddler's favorite show is Dino Dan which is no longer on TV. That is only show I have bought. We watch the included free on-demand and his PBS shows are all free on the PBS Roku channel. I refuse to pay the $20/month DVR fee and use Myth TV / Plex for recordings.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Dino Dan is on every Saturday & Sunday morning from 7AM-8AM on Nick Jr ch 256

thetick

White Plains, NY

It was on at 1PM Sat/Sun and was removed. I guess it could have a new time , but it was not in the guide search a few weeks back. I bought the whole season for $20 so he can watch any episode all the time on any device even while not at home.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

Oh, well, it's back now if you are interested

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

Sometimes I think the people who say that just download torrents, which is of course illegal.

QuaffAPint

Downingtown, PA

said by Greg2600:

said by matcarl:

Sometimes I think the people who say that just download torrents, which is of course illegal.

Even being the case, there's still things outside the popular stuff that's simply not made available through those various mediums. I know all those various Hallmark channel (non-Hallmark Hall of Fame) and such type movies are pretty much only available on TV.

thetick

White Plains, NY

QuaffAPint See Profile
I know all those various Hallmark channel (non-Hallmark Hall of Fame) and such type movies are pretty much only available on TV.

Check again... They are available.

See »www.hallmarkspiritclips.com and the corresponding Roku channel »www.roku.com/channels/#!details/···hallmark

"Hallmark Hall of Fame movies, SpiritClips Original Short Films, thoughtfully selected Hollywood Classics"

bull3964

@verizon.net
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

Yes, it is. Did you not see my example above?

Here's my normal TV watching slate right now (which I can't really keep up with all that easily.)

Monday:
Sleepy Hollow *
Almost Human *
The Daily Show *
Colbert Report *

Tuesday:
Supernatural *
The Originals *
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D *
New Girl *
Brooklyn Nine-Nine *
TDS *
CR *

Weds:
Arrow *
The Tomorrow People *
American Horror Story
South Park
TDS *
CR *

Thursday:
TDS *
CR *

Friday:
Grimm *

Sunday:
Simpsons *
Bob's Burgers *
Family Guy *
American Dad *
The Walking Dead
Various things on Adult Swim

Items with (*) are available on Hulu+ which is only $7.99 /month.

Of the remaining:
American Horror Story - $33.99 for a full season in HD on Google Play
The Walking Dead - $42.99 for a full season in HD on Google Play
Adult Swim stuff varies - but out of what I watch it would be about $50 for a year's worth of shows.

So, Just looking at September (the start of the fall season) to now. I have spent $240 ($80 /month for 3 months) on TV service. If I would have cut the cord, I could have watched the same stuff for $151. This is all 100% legal and available less than 12 hours after the original showing (none of this "waiting for 6 months".) This kicker is, the vast majority of this is HIGHER QUALITY. Commercials on Hulu+ are limited (but you can't fast forward through them), at the same time though there aren't annoying show snipes popping up every 5 minutes like network channels. The stuff from Google Play is 100% commercial free, free of snipes and network logos, and is in 1080p.

And honestly, this is almost more programing than I can handle right now. I have several weeks of some of these shows sitting on my DVR because I haven't had a chance to watch them.

It takes a bit of a mental shift to start quantifying how much you pay for each individual show, but it's nearly always cheaper than paying for linear TV service unless you just have to have the TV on all the time for background noise.

jh28

@bankofamerica.com

Or if you're willing to wait, Walking dead and American horror story are both on Netflix.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to bull3964

I wouldn't be able to "cut the cord" because I watch too much college football (baseball I already get via MLB.tv), but just to add to your argument:

If you live in a city and don't like Hulu+ (I don't), you can get a TiVo with a high quality OTA antenna. Sign up for discount TiVo service (I think they still have "secret" antenna-only plans) and DVR the network shows. No need for Hulu+.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

andrade6503

@verizon.net

I actually don't even have a cable box. I only share the internet with my siblings. I was looking for information to give to my brother regarding this notice. I get my TV shows/movies from my local library. Might as well have my taxes go to something good and make use of it.

I don't know how other people library system is, but if my local library doesn't have a certain item, I can put in a request (can be done online) and it will ship from another library. I then can retrieve it from my town's library. They have blurays available as well.

This my library's online system: »www.bccls.org/welcome.shtml

Thought I give other people some ideas if you are thinking of going cable free.

Thanks everyone for your replies.