Click for full size
The amp
Click for full size
New wiring...is this RG-11?
Click for full size
The coax
Click for full size
Found this on the ground
So, recently Time Warner has made a change at the amp that services my residence. Probably easier to just post the pictures...it seems that either there was a problem with the hardline cable the provides service at my amp or some module in the amp went out...I'm guessing the former.
--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

temp span replacement

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

hmm there is more than span replacement going on there. Looks like TWC replaced the amp pilot module with one that is QAM capable and basically means that eventually they could remove all analogs on the system including the analog pilot channel. essentially this allows TWC use the entire spectrum after going 100% digital eventually.

I am thinking that a tech was replacing one of the modules in the amp and realized that there was an issue with the hard line and put in a temp. Because it looks like there is a exposed cabling/crack in the hard line if you zoom in on the picture plus the connector seems rusted.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to warlock56

That's a weird mounting for an amp. But yeah thats a QAM based ADC so it doesn't rely on the analog channel 70 to balance its automatic gain control. Now its going to use QAM channel 88, a digital carrier to maintain it's leveling.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

I think I know of an other amp in the same city that might have QADU unit as me and Warlock56 are in the same city. Down the street TWC recently replaced a BLE87/100 with an MB100 and I have a feeling it has a QAM ADU in it if TWC is now starting to replace the units with digital ones. I think this amp is about 2-3 months old being in place. I think it feeds either my local 7-eleven store or the car care place next door to it.

a while back about 6 months ago I was watching channel 70 analog and all of a sudden the channel changed to an dead signal with snow for a few seconds during a storm likely just a quick cutover to the power supply for a second.

Oh Cypherstream I think TWC did a similar project replacing AGC modules in San Antonio Texas about year or two ago in the CCOR amps there and now channel 70 is a digital QAM on that system so I am thinking TWC used digital QAM AGCs in San Antonio to be able to use channel 70 as a part of the last upgrade moving more channels to digital only. I have a feeling if TWC is doing this in my area it could take at least a year to get the project done if not longer. I think the same thing happened in Wichita Falls as they are CCOR as well and they have a QAM carrier on 70 now.