spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anonymous196
@teksavvy.com

anonymous196

Anon

Are these guys any good?

I'm currently with Teksavvy. They will be increasing their rates in January, so I'm searching for alternatives.

Wondering what people think about start.ca?

I like that you can transfer in for free, and the unlimited usage is only $10 more!
Hopefully, it's not too good to be true!
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Been with them for a little over a year, no problem whatsoever. Occasional downtime, but in my case that was always Rogers maintenance, which would affect all cable ISPs in the area anyway. You can check out the reviews (see top right of the screen).
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA to anonymous196

to anonymous196
I dropped Teksavvy last january for start and haven't had a glitch since, the transition was seamless and I haven't had a minute of downtime since. My only regret is not switching sooner.
ThirtyThree
join:2011-05-29
Canadian cit

ThirtyThree to anonymous196

to anonymous196
I switched from teksavvy. The switch was not smooth. I have had issues a couple of times (required support call). I find the speed of the service varies a lot more than teksavvy did.

I have found the customer service to be much better. My calls have been answered quite fast. The people I have talked to seem to be interested in actually helping you, much better than teksavvy.

I wish I didn't need to ever call support.

Good luck in your quest!

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to anonymous196

Premium Member

to anonymous196
well I'm on cable not sure if that is the serve you'll get but I've never had an issue as of yet after 3 months.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to anonymous196

Premium Member

to anonymous196
8 months here. I have both cable (Rogers territory) and DSL. Both top notch, as advertised. No issues technically.

The customer service is orders of magnitude better than what you'd get anywhere else.

Mike
Doxik
join:2010-11-15
Mississauga, ON

Doxik

Came to Start from Teksavvy and was a very fast and smooth transition. All in all im very happy with them. Had no problems what so ever and always heave max speeds.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to anonymous196

to anonymous196
said by anonymous196 :

I'm currently with Teksavvy. They will be increasing their rates in January, so I'm searching for alternatives.

Wondering what people think about start.ca?

I like that you can transfer in for free, and the unlimited usage is only $10 more!
Hopefully, it's not too good to be true!

FYI if Teksavvy increases their rates, Start probably will too.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by geokilla:

FYI if Teksavvy increases their rates, Start probably will too.

What makes you think that? TSI is increasing prices due to the usage patterns of their customers. That doesn't necessarily apply to Start. Sure, Start will probably have to raise prices due to inflationary costs at some point, but that won't necessarily be anytime soon.
adit7
join:2013-04-02
Oakville, ON

adit7 to anonymous196

to anonymous196
»So teksavvy is raising prices, so I guess it has to be asked...

anonymous196
@teksavvy.com

anonymous196

Anon

I can't reply to that other topic b/c it's too old or something.

I'm very concerned by what "rocca" said, as it directly contradicts what I was told be start.ca sales yesterday, I quote:
"As for increases in our package pricing, I am unaware of any plans to increase our pricing."

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I'm not sure how that contradicts what I posted? At some point in time, yes prices are going to go up - that's sort of natural in that there are all sorts of upward pricing pressure. Additionally there is a big potential cost increase on the Red side with retro concerns. But as for plans on when and what, no, none of that is done yet at even a management level yet so certainly not at a sales department level. As soon as we have some plans then they'll be announced here as well as to our sales people.

anonymous196
@teksavvy.com

anonymous196

Anon

said by rocca:

I'm not sure how that contradicts what I posted? At some point in time, yes prices are going to go up - that's sort of natural in that there are all sorts of upward pricing pressure. Additionally there is a big potential cost increase on the Red side with retro concerns. But as for plans on when and what, no, none of that is done yet at even a management level yet so certainly not at a sales department level. As soon as we have some plans then they'll be announced here as well as to our sales people.

When you say:
"what we predict the final rate increases will be"

This suggests that a rate hike is imminent. But maybe I misunderstand.
When you say "at some point in time, yes prices are going to go up".. on what time frame are you talking about? Within the next couple of months? A year? 5 years?

My concern is I don't want to switch because of a rate increase just to be hit with.. a rate increase.

One other thing.. Some other people mention a 30 day "cooldown period" for switching providers? What is this?! I cannot afford to be w/o internet for a month!!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Sorry it's too early in the process to speculate on details at this point. Our prices will have to eventually be adjusted, and frankly I'm very concerned about the retro possibility on Red. We're still discussing this at the management level and as soon as we have something to share I'll post it here.

From my perspective though, if you're happy with your current ISP then I wouldn't suggest changing for $2.

As for the 'cooling period', sorry not sure what you mean - there certainly isn't any restriction that makes you not have internet for a month if you change.
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56

the problem is two fold

1) Rogers filed new higher tariffs for the aggregated service levels with higher prices (if you are with TSI, and on the OLD speeds (18,28,32,75)...before summer of this year, this doesn't apply)

2) Rogers wants the rate increases to go back to the date the services were first offered (in Start's case last year, and in TSI/Distributel earlier this year) and have the differences charged for the month(s) since the end user got the service in some cases, this may be upwards of another 6-9 per month, per subscriber (25/2 and 150/10 services) The end user wouldn't be happy with their ISP telling them they owe the huge retroactive cost increase, neither is the ISP themselves.

If you are keeping your current modem, it CAN sometimes take a few extra days to get your modem released, in that case, you would be better off renting a modem for a month or two and switching it back after the modem is released (would cost you 1 months rental plus shipping back to London)
rockfire
join:2011-01-28

rockfire to anonymous196

to anonymous196
I think everyone will see a price increase at some point. The $5.2-billion NHL rights deal needs to be recovered. I would agree with rocca. I wouldn't leave over $2 if you are happy.
bt
canada

bt to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

As for the 'cooling period', sorry not sure what you mean

Some people are saying Rogers requires 30 days notice to release a modem now.

Some others are interpreting this as starting from the disconnect date.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Ah, I haven't heard that myself but generally we coordinate the transfer with the disconnect date so it'd be released on that day.
bt
canada

bt

Yeah, it's the first I've heard of it too, past what you've put in the transfer faq for TPIA -> TPIA
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark to anonymous196

to anonymous196
The confusion stemmed from this comment:
said by Azmodan012:

Currently Roger's has now implemented a 30 day provisioning period.
From the day they process a cancellation request, the modem cannot be provisioned to a new account for 30 days.

In this thread:

»[Cable] Rate increase and update on a few things