uniqs

DaDawgs
Premium Member
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

DaDawgs

Premium Member

[Bus. Ops] Hotspot Solutions - With Credit Card Billing on login

I have been using Meraki pretty much since they started selling APs and I really like the hands off management it offers. Maybe I should just stay with them, but...

I am interested in the current state of hotspot billing services WRT Mikrotik routers bridging Ubiquiti APs.

I've looked over the site a bit this evening and not seen anything fairly current that addresses that.

Thanks in advance, quys and gals, I know I have not been here much lately but still appreciate the work you are doing in this forum.

Mike
user4572
Premium Member
join:2009-05-05
Cleveland, OH

user4572

Premium Member

I'm using Mikrotik routers, Ubiquiti APs and other misc APs with RadiusManger. Works Ok for me.
Porch
join:2005-06-19

Porch to DaDawgs

to DaDawgs
Are you doing paid for hot spot now? I am interested in the business model for it. With a data plan being a requirement on every smart phone, I don't see the demand for paid for hot spot service. The only ones I see doing it are larger Hotels, and I never felt the need to pay $5 for 1 hour of wifi service that will maybe work. Paid hot spot coverage seems to be going the way of the pay phone.
I am wondering how you are making money on it?

raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

1 recommendation

raytaylor to DaDawgs

to DaDawgs
I have just installed a hotspot into a beachside holiday camp.
They dont get broadband in the area, and the owners of the camp still are fully booked for the months of December and January so they sell the tickets and charge for them.

I have a few sites where i sell tickets to the motel owners, they sell / give away tickets to their guests. The motel / campground doesnt pay for the equipment or maintanence.

This particular beachside camp has already paid for itself in the 3 weeks the equipment has been there and december has only just started. The camp makes 40-50% on whatever tickets they sell.

Used to use a radius server (hotspotengine) on a dedicated box in our office. Have just outsourced it to hotspotsystem.com and am replacing the linksys WRT54GL+chilispot clients that I was using, with ubnt air routers and the hotspotsystem firmware.