dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Owlhoot
join:2013-11-29

Owlhoot to gwalk

to gwalk

Re: Hughnet router and Netgear HELP PLS!

I will get back sometime and let you know how it goes..

I was told that the hughe modem is a router too but will find out..

THanks again gwalk!

That is what tech do they need to make sure everything is correct.

THanks Mr Bird for that from Mr Owl.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Hi Owl,
Dont get hung up on it but Jackson Tech is a member here and at the Offical Hughes forum, read his FAQ here:

»jacksontech.net/index.ph ··· ing-faq/

In terms of conversation, its easier to think of the Hughes Modem as being a .... Modem.

Think of your Netgear Router as being a ... Router.

You seem a bit "timid" to approach this.

Are you unsure of what "plug" or "port" goes where ?

What need to be done or "proven" can be done in just minutes.

The Hughes Modem (do you have the HT1000 or the improved HT1100 ?) only has a single "Output", a RJ45 jack. It looks like a telephone jack but is a little larger.

Your Netgear Router has five (5) simular looking "plugs"

Four (4) are grouped together and are labled as LAN ports.

A single one, (the bottom one on back of Netgear router) is called a WAN (or Internet port) is trimmed in yellow or a gold color.

The "output" from the Hughes Modem is plugged into the Netgear Routers WAN port connection.

Your computers NIC (network interface card) has a RJ45 plug also.
Connect a cable from the computers NIC to one of the four LAN ports of the Netgear Router.

Start thing up in this order after connecting the cables.

Plug in the AC power for the Hughes Modem, lt it boot up all the way. (2 Min)

then

Plug in the AC power for the Netgear Router. Let it boot completely up so it gets a chance to meet and "talk* to the Hughes Modem on its own.

Start your computer, if its off.

Open an internet browser, Internet Explorer or whatever.

In the Browsers address window enter, with out "www" or anything

That is the IP address of the Hughes Modem. If you can see the Modems SCC (System Control Center) (this is the "internal webpage" of the Modem)

If you can "see" that, that means you can see "though" your Netgear Router.

If you cant see the SCC of the Hughes Modem, THEN and ONLY then do we need to concern outselves with having to manualy change the Netgear Router LAN address and range.

As I posted before, hook that Puppy up as described.

Check two simple addresses in a Browser:

192.168.0.1 should show the Hughes Modem "internal page"

192.168.1.1 (as a guess) should bring you to the Netgear Routers internal "Login" page.

If you get those results, we can carry on in securing your Network and a TON of info you will need for Hughes management.

If you DON"T get those results, then and only THEN do we have to dig deeper into Netgear Router settings.

What do you say ? Give it a try as outlined ? Have further Questions ?

You do realise, if you dont try to see if 192.168.0.1 leads to EITHER the Hughes Modem or the Netgear Router you will be in the same position. Try it.
It will lead us to Path #1 or Path #2.

As to being "up in years" I will be 65 myself in less than two weeks.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by gwalk:

As to being "up in years" I will be 65 myself in less than two weeks.

And I will shortly be 67. I have a 92 year-old sister that started using computers at 80 and is a real whiz, so I don't personally think age is a barrier.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

1 edit

gwalk to Owlhoot

Premium Member

to Owlhoot
Owlhoot,

I typed this for another user but you may find the info useful as well:

Usage Meter in SCC: (192.168.0.1)
Always available but limited to a displayed accuracy of .1 Gb or 100 Mb.
Far from being a "fine" enough readout to parcel out usage on the smaller plans.

Download Usage Meter: (in downloads »my.hughesnet.com)
A nice little "companion" to the SCC meter, sits in your computers Notification Area.
It resolves to 1% increments, 1% of a 15 GB plan is 150 Mb. Just not fine enough for parceling out data on a daily basis. Or you may open the application and it will show to the nearest 100 Mb. Still not good enough for effective management.

Traditional Hourly History Usage page:
Found under TOOLS/CHECK USAGE at »customercare.myhughesnet.com

A nice tool, but it is a History page, giving delayed, after the fact info that Rocky's answer tells me is totally useless in trying to track and control a subscribers usage.
The other big issue with it is, it is getting very rare that the page is accessible when you need it.

The Histogram style Hourly History Usage display.
Found, if you are able to open the page, at »my.hughesnet.com

Totally useless, a pretty display of delayed usage divided into separate graphs of upload & download.

Again useless as a tool to help a subscriber monitor and control usage as the answer that Rocky passed onto me has shown.

The "Usage At a Glance" Meter also found within the seldom accessible my.hughesnet.com webpage.

This is the meter that should be "native" to the usage display in SCC.

The big one here: Maybe the page where it resides will open and maybe it won't.

So you see folks, Hughes has set the whole thing up in such a way that there is no definitive way to understand, monitor & control your usage.

The following link leads to a Hughesnet webpage that describes all of the various aspects of a Gen4 plan.

»legal.hughesnet.com/Fair ··· Gen4.cfm

The problem with it is, as with so many other things Hughes related, one time it works, the next time it doesn't.