spc
Search similar:

uniqs
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

40757180 (banned)

[Rant] Mcdonalds Employee expects customer to clean their own spill

I was at McDonalds today and while going to throw my trash in the trashcan i dropped the drink by accident. McDonalds worker that was cleaning table saw it and said mop up your spill. WTF since when is it customer job to mop up soda spill? Yes I dropped my drink but i don't work there, i am a customer. They want to get paid $15 an hour and not do any work? How convenient.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

How did you react to his request?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to 40757180

MVM

to 40757180
Classic example of really bad management.

McBarf
@rr.com

McBarf to 40757180

Anon

to 40757180
Well, when you place your snout into the trough at McBarf and associates........

You should expect to join in for the total experience.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

5 recommendations

Mango to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

WTF since when is it customer job to mop up soda spill?

If you were my kid, you better believe you would have cleaned it up.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to Johkal

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

How did you react to his request?

I told her that is what she gets paid to do and left.

40757180 (banned) to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess? Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

10 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

said by 40757180:

said by Mango:

said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess? Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

"their own mess". Uhh yes? Get off your high horse. If you make the mess, you should clean it up. Have some decency. You made the mess, you should clean it up.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal to 40757180

MVM

to 40757180
As I agree that it is part of their job & an employee should never say anything like that to a customer, maybe a response as such would be appropriate:

"I'm sorry for the spill as it was an accident, but I don't appreciate being told to clean it up. I don't have the proper items to clean, whereas you do. Further more, I'm not employed here or insured to clean anything."

Just an example of a more elaborate way to handle it.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by Johkal:

As I agree that it is part of their job & an employee should never say anything like that to a customer, maybe a response as such would be appropriate:

"I'm sorry for the spill as it was an accident, but I don't appreciate being told to clean it up. I don't have the proper items to clean, whereas you do. Further more, I'm not employed here or insured to clean anything."

Just an example of a more elaborate way to handle it.

The strange thing is they have a mop and mop bucket next to trashcan in the middle of the lobby. I was too pissed to say it like that.

2 recommendations

40757180 (banned) to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

"their own mess". Uhh yes? Get off your high horse. If you make the mess, you should clean it up. Have some decency. You made the mess, you should clean it up.

If i was working there yes I would have taken a mop and done it. However I am not an employee of McDonalds, I do not get paid by McDonalds and i am not cover under McDonals worker comp if i were to get hurt mopping the spill. Lastly that is what that employee gets paid.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

3 recommendations

Johkal to 40757180

MVM

to 40757180
To nit-pick, you are never responsible to clean spills off the floor, only to clean general messes "as a courtesy" on the table after you are done.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

6 recommendations

Mango to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

You expect your kids in public to clean up their own mess?

Absolutely. My rules are the same in public as they are at home.
said by 40757180:

Do you also expect them to get paid for it?

Of course not. Cleaning up the mess is a consequence for their behaviour. If I enforce it, they'll be more careful next time.

In the event that an employee offered to clean it up I would apologize and make sure my kid thanked them.
said by 40757180:

i am not cover under McDonals worker comp if i were to get hurt mopping the spill

In that unlikely event, the restaurant's general liability insurance would cover you. (Whether you have a good chance of winning such a suit is another question entirely.)
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

So you are saying that if you dropped your drink, you would have actually take a mop and cleaned it up? I wonder if it's Canadian thing as I am not sure i ever seen a customer ever do it before and I generally eat fast food few times a week. At most I seen customer clean their own table because there were no clean tables to sit at .
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

5 recommendations

Mango

Premium Member

I would find an employee and ask for a mop to clean it with. More likely than not the employee would tell me not to worry about it, but I certainly would be prepared to do so.

I wouldn't just pour a drink on the floor and walk away. I hope courtesy is not strictly a Canadian concept.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

3 recommendations

workablob to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

I was at McDonalds today and while going to throw my trash in the trashcan i dropped the drink by accident. McDonalds worker that was cleaning table saw it and said mop up your spill. WTF since when is it customer job to mop up soda spill? Yes I dropped my drink but i don't work there, i am a customer. They want to get paid $15 an hour and not do any work? How convenient.

The mop is provided so if a customer wants to be nice and mop it up they can. However, it should be the customer's choice and not forced upon them.

No good restaurant manager would place that burden on a paying customer.

Blob
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Agreed.
40757180 (banned)

3 recommendations

40757180 (banned) to workablob

to workablob
I would think that it's placed there to make it easier for employees to do their job.
murph1852
join:2003-06-25
Beloit, WI

5 recommendations

murph1852 to 40757180

to 40757180
i would absolutely expect my kids to clean up their own mess. I would be shocked if they did not offer to clean it up. If the employee said no that is fine. I do not expect them to get paid for it but absolutely expect them to clean it up, or offer to. I am dismayed and outraged at the number of people that would spill something, sometimes willfully, and not even think twice about it.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

5 recommendations

AsherN

Premium Member

I'll clean up my table, and pick up trash from the floor. A spill? No way. The liability for the restaurant is huge. If you get hurt using their equipment, you could sue them. Conversely, say you mop up a spill and someone slips on the wet floor? That could open you up for a lawsuit.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to murph1852

to murph1852
I would love to hear what your kids have to say as I have a feeling it would be different.

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob to 40757180

to 40757180
I worked at a few restaurants and we never would leave cleaning tools lying around but I have never worked at a McDonald's so it may be the case there.

Blob

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
So you're speaking from a kid's point of view then?

Jesus, why so much pride, just mop it up, or are you too entitled? I'd have cleaned it up. I'd have also told the manager that the employee told me to do so.
40757180 (banned)

1 edit

40757180 (banned)

said by signmeuptoo94:

So you're speaking from a kid's point of view then?

Jesus, why so much pride, just mop it up, or are you too entitled? I'd have cleaned it up. I'd have also told the manager that the employee told me to do so.

No I am taking from my point of view as I in my early 30s but I am betting most young adults would have same point of view as I do. As for why so much pride, first I don't work there and second that iswwhat that lady gets paid to do is clean up after other people. They should understand what they were hired to do.

workablob
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

workablob to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I think Silent is right to make a stink. People go out to eat for an experience and mopping the floor does not enhance that. It was an accident and a good establishment that wants lots of repeat business will see it as such and take care of it. Now if the op was being a jerk and carelessly let it hit the floor then scoffed at the employee that is another story.

Blob

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

Gbcue to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Next time, clean it up, slip and fall, and sue for damages.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Hmm... Could the truth include the possibility that he deliberately spilled the drink, or seemed to do so, and had provoked the employee in some fashion. I wonder if we're getting the full story here. I only know what I see here in the forums and the attitude here, so I suppose we need to temper our interpretation of this story with a touch of skepticism. I bet you had to be there...

In any event, I wouldn't be complaining about this, I'd have felt bad about the spill and I'd have cleaned it with a smile, if for no other reason, than to be a better person than the employee. I don't have false pride. Where I work I very often do the dirty work no one else wants to do, and I do it with pride and people hold me with respect because of it. I don't consider myself too good to do something.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to Gbcue

to Gbcue
True story: I was at Costco one day and all of a sudden, nature called. Yelled is more like it. So I high-tailed into the John and there's some sensitive guy changing his little boy's diaper on one of them baby ironin' boards, and don't you know, I slipped on pee-pee and broke two vertebrae which had to be fused together. I'm in constant pain, but by God I got me a $53,000 settlement.

That's why they call me Lucky.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

I wonder if it's Canadian thing as I am not sure i ever seen a customer ever do it before and I generally eat fast food few times a week.

Yes, despite the fact the mayor of our largest city is a crack smoking obnoxious buffoon, we are more likely to.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

2 recommendations

TBBroadband to Mango

to Mango
I would have cleaned up my own as well. I have seen others clean up their messages in restaurants as well. Since when is it too much to ask to clean up after yourself???