Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180

Re: [Rant] Mcdonalds Employee expects customer to clean their own spill

I was at a McDonald's once on the turnpike getting a quick breakfast. A "Mother" and 3 children were getting up from a table where they had eaten and spread their trash and mess everywhere. The eldest child, a boy picked up the tray and started to take his trash to the nearby trash can. His mom berated him. "Don't clean that up.... that's THEIR job." They left leaving the mess.

Civilization. Or maybe not. Nice value system.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

5 recommendations

La Luna to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
The sense of entitlement and lack of commen courtesy is palpable these days. A soda spilled on the floor by a careless customer isn't routine cleanup. The customer should at least *offer* to wipe it up, with a rag or paper towels. Then the employee could do a quick mop. No one has to touch *gasp* CHEMICALS (what do you guys clean your floors with, water?).

I often wonder just how people have been raised these days when I see a lack of common courtesy and empathy for others so often. It's disturbing.
La Luna

La Luna to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

I was at a McDonald's once on the turnpike getting a quick breakfast. A "Mother" and 3 children were getting up from a table where they had eaten and spread their trash and mess everywhere. The eldest child, a boy picked up the tray and started to take his trash to the nearby trash can. His mom berated him. "Don't clean that up.... that's THEIR job." They left leaving the mess.

Civilization. Or maybe not. Nice value system.

Thanks for making MY point.

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

XoX to 40757180

to 40757180
Some times i wish i knew where those people work and see how they handle it's their job thing...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180

quote:
I told her that is what she gets paid to do and left.
Thats kinda strange.... In most places I eat at they want to do it all!!! (If you try and help they usually try and take over)

I usually try and help at places,if i spill i clean it up (Unless they do it before) -- I collect the trays,etc......... Its just a nice thing to do

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to 15444104

to 15444104

But see, Fast Food places cater to people with kids and cleaning up after kids and adults is part the cost of doing business. So, in short, If you don't feel bad for not cleaning up your spill when out for a meal I salute you. If you feel like cleaning up after yourself after a spill or making your child clean up after themselves after a spill I salute you too. Now, to those who have taken sides, you are both right as long as you do not expect the other side to abide by your reasoning.

Blob has spoken.

These are pearls here I am giving you.

Blob
workablob

1 recommendation

workablob to 40757180

to 40757180
I support your view in this Silentlooker. People seem to be interpolating information into this thread.

I would have acted no different than you did.

Accidents happen and this is part of the cost of doing business and any manager worth their salt knows this.

The customer is always right.

You were not abusing this edict imho.

Keep on Keeping on my friend.

Blob
workablob

workablob to 40757180

to 40757180
Well, since we live in the US of A they can wait in line since that is not what the job they do is worth. We have oversight in our capitalism, not as much as some other countries but people are not dying in sweatshops like they do in some countries. It is just too easy to say I want more money. It has never worked that way for me and if I wanted more money I had to prove I was worth it, stick with the status quo, or find an job at a more enlightened place of business.

There's a balance.

Blob
workablob

workablob to KrK

to KrK
I always bus my own tray and I believe the fast food places encourage that behavior.

No liability there.

Some people have no outdoor skills.

Blob
workablob

workablob to La Luna

to La Luna
I disagree.

You pay the prices of convenient eating to avoid any burden.

McDonald's and the like are making bank on that and they have already figured in the cost of clumsy patrons.

Now, I do believe it is a valuable parenting toll to make one's chile own up and take care of it but that is another thread.

Blob

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to OldCableGuy

MVM

to OldCableGuy
Set coffee on the seat next to you and hold with a free hand - if it spills - the seat gets wet. Again - pure common sense NOT to put hot things between your legs or there could be bad consequences. I like coffee hotter so I don't have to guzzle it, to have warm.
quote:
it's an example of a big company ignoring common sense
Wrong - the lady had zero common sense -place the blame where it belongs - on the person who did the idiotic thing. They could have easily prevented the problem themselves but chose instead to make sure a bad outcome would be just that - bad.

Nearly as bad as a 'power' expert stating that water heaters should never be above 120 degrees F or not hot enough to make you pull your hands out of the water. 120 degrees is borderline to kill things like Legionnaires disease and personally - I like to have hot showers especially in the winter. If I can keep my hands under the water - it is way to cool for a shower.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: ‏

said by 19579823:

quote:
I told her that is what she gets paid to do and left.
Thats kinda strange.... In most places I eat at they want to do it all!!! (If you try and help they usually try and take over)

I usually try and help at places,if i spill i clean it up (Unless they do it before) -- I collect the trays,etc......... Its just a nice thing to do

That is because the management is realistic and instills customer satisfaction into their employees work ethic.

It is so much easier to take care of it and please the customer than to make a stink.

Retail Business 101.

Blob

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Yes, because companies should never be held responsible for dangerous products that can injure their customers.

Who cares if they put lead in that toy? It's the kids fault for putting it in his mouth.

Look, I get it. But people should have a fairly reasonable expectation that they won't require surgery if they spill coffee on themselves. What if she was bumped into walking out the door? Does she still deserve 3rd degree burns?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
There was a time when I was employed privately to clean a commercial building. I got to select what I wanted as each facet of cleaning was different than another. I wised up quickly when I started using commercial products. It was cheaper and the concentrate was 100 times stronger. On a few things I used the same product found in surgical suites because it had a 23-hour window of effectiveness after it dried.

Chances are if you look at the concentration on your products before you use it. you are already ahead of the training.
linicx

linicx to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Chances are it is an independent store that needs to be reported to McDonald' corporate office. What this store is doing is not only lazy and dangerous, it fails most sanitation standards.
linicx

linicx to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
You are correct, but not all states have the same high sanitation standards as your state. In my state the county health department would close that store on the spot. Because they would assume there are more sanitation violations. Chances are they would be correct.
linicx

linicx to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Sanitation in public places should be the highest priority, but very often it is not. Health departments are under-funded and understaffed. And in some states health standards are not only lax, it next to non-existent.

This is what when traveling to an unfamiliar state I strongly recommend drinking only bottled water, juice, tea or soda, and only eating hot freshly prepared foods rather than buffet, cold sandwiches or foods made with mayo and eggs. (Salmonella and Botulism = food poison).

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want
Premium Member
join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN

ArkhmAsylm to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
-
It was an accident. That the employee insisted for the customer to clean their own mess was unacceptable.

The manager should have been summoned, an apology offered for the accident, and a request made to the manager that the employee be schooled in the etiquette of addressing customers in a service-based industry.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

[cranky mode on]
I'm so tired to hear about the coffee suit. She was right. The coffee was higher than industry standards, higher than safe temperature. McDonalds admitted as much. She won because had the coffee been at the correct temperature, she would not have suffered third degree burns.
[/cranky mode off]

and I'm so tired of people not being able to take responsibility for their actions and being so sue happy.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

3 recommendations

nunya to 40757180

MVM

to 40757180
Many moons ago (I was in HS / college), I worked at McDonald's. It was a "corporate" store. That means it was owned by McD's and not a franchise.
Any way, my job was to clean up other peoples messes. That's what I got paid $3 and change / hr to do.
It is not the customers job to clean up the mess - even if they make a huge one. It never would have crossed my mind to tell a customer to clean up their own mess. Well, I probably fantasized about telling them off, but would never have said a word.

A few of the people I worked with went on with McD's and became muckety mucks. Some bought their own stores. They are all at or near retirement now. I contacted one tonight on FB with questions about this thread.
As I thought, not much has changed in McD policy since I worked there decades ago. Answer: A spill is considered a hazard to customers and employees. Employee should place proper warning sign(s) and clean up immediately.

There you have it, and there you are.

XoX
Qc, Canada

XoX to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

said by Cheese:

Common sense would most likely tell you to not put hot items such as coffee between your legs, but let's go on some more about this "common sense" thing...

Do you have any idea how hot a liquid has to be in order to cause 3rd degree burns? 140°F. An undrinkable temperature. Go check your hot water tank and tell me if it's set that high. Is keeping and serving coffee at that extreme temperature common sense?

You should take your advice... go read around, see that they say... oh and btw for Tea, the recommended temperature is between 185°F and 212°F...
XoX

XoX to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

Yes, because companies should never be held responsible for dangerous products that can injure their customers.

Who cares if they put lead in that toy? It's the kids fault for putting it in his mouth.

Look, I get it. But people should have a fairly reasonable expectation that they won't require surgery if they spill coffee on themselves. What if she was bumped into walking out the door? Does she still deserve 3rd degree burns?

So you in your mind, putting lead into and object and having a hot liquid next to you is the same thing... pathetic
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Cleaning bucket and mop just hanging in the eating area is probably violating a number of health regulations.

[cranky mode on]
I'm so tired to hear about the coffee suit. She was right. The coffee was higher than industry standards, higher than safe temperature. McDonalds admitted as much. She won because had the coffee been at the correct temperature, she would not have suffered third degree burns.
[/cranky mode off]

Yep. Having a mop and bucket in the eating area violates health standards.

As for the coffee suit, I hate that woman as there is no such thing as TOO HOT coffee. Any hot drink is supposed to be served at JUST BELOW BOILING temperature. You then WAIT a bit and SIP the drink...you do not gulp or guzzle hot drinks and you know to be extremely careful when handling them. Holding a hot (not warm...but HOT) cup of coffee between the thighs when wearing shorts and the cup is a flimsy paper one..that is insane behavior. The result of her winning was that hot drinks are undrinkable now in all restaurants as they are not hot anymore. Plus, Bunn, who made the equipment, changed all home Bunns to force barely warm coffee and all other coffee makers followed and the result is that you have to take you freshly made coffee and put it in your teapot (microwave is no good as heating that way cools too fast) and heat it to just below boiling. (Bunn told me this was why their coffee makers that I had had for many, many years no longer make hot coffee- the temp in the stainless steel holding tank was turned down deliberately in the models after that incident because that woman won. Bunn said people no longer believe they should have common sense and should never take responsibility for stupid behavior so Bunn had to protect themselves even in the home and then all coffee makers followed suit).

This thread is weird. As a customer, it would never occur to me to clean up a spill (or a broken bottle of mayonnaise or pickles in a grocery aisle if I accidentally dropped one), I would notify an employee, and apologize, and offer to pay for the mayonnaise or pickles, but I would never try to clean up broken glass and pickle juice or even soda off a fast food joint floor. Are you guys actually saying that if you were in a 5 star restaurant and accidentally spilled wine all over the floor (on the table I would use my napkin to soak it up) that you would expect to clean it up yourself? Geez....

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to 40757180

to 40757180
I've only read about 10 posts here, but so far, I think you guys are giving the OP a hard time. I'm very responsible for myself and the actions I make. If, however, I accidentally spill a drink (who hasn't?), I'd let an employee know so someone wouldn't get hurt and I'd expect them to clean the mess. On the other hand, if I had kids that were making a mess, I'd obviously clean up after them.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Cheese

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

I don't think the average fast food employee makes anywhere near 15, most likely 8-9 an hour but I am speculating but can almost promise it's not 15 an hour

here's a list of what they make.
»www.glassdoor.com/Salary ··· E432.htm

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

said by Cheese:

Common sense would most likely tell you to not put hot items such as coffee between your legs, but let's go on some more about this "common sense" thing...

Do you have any idea how hot a liquid has to be in order to cause 3rd degree burns? 140°F. An undrinkable temperature. Go check your hot water tank and tell me if it's set that high. Is keeping and serving coffee at that extreme temperature common sense?

it was never between her legs, she was not driving, she was 79 years old and got 3rd degree to 6% of her body requiring major skin grafts, mc-d's ignored 700 previous warnings about the coffee, 140*f is absurdly hot

there was a video a while back going in to all the details and facts, think it was 10 minutes long, i cant find it but heres an article for your readding pleasure if you want to get the actual facts »www.dailymail.co.uk/news ··· uth.html

as to the OP, ive spilled before by accident, and no i didnt clean it up. for a few reasons. 1. being disabled i doubt i would have gotten it all. 2. its what the employees are paid to do. 3. if i did attempt to clean it and injured my self you bet your sweet behind i would sue. 4. if i attempted to clean it and some one else was injured you bet your sweet behind they would sue the store, and me.

seems rude? maybe. but its not like "i" go around makin messes just for the hell of it.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Just an FYI, That McDonald's coffee in the infamous suit was way hotter than 140 degrees. The holding temp at the restaurant was 180-190 degrees. That's car radiator hot.

XoX
Qc, Canada

XoX to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

mc-d's ignored 700 previous warnings about the coffee, 140*f is absurdly hot

On how many coffee served every day by Mc only? +the rest of the big chain? +the million of people making home coffee with boiling hot water (212°F)?

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Calling B/S on this one.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL